Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thread for technique tips and discussion.

Bike: Drz 400; nc700x dct

Thread for technique tips and discussion.

FezUSA asked some questions about video.

Here are my basics. I am a beginner.

My YouTube channel is under Oklahoma Hank.

1. Music
    I use bensound music, most of which is free if you give credit.
    I put a credit in the YouTube description and another in the video itself.
    Some big users buy an ASCAP or BMI license.
    Some just wing it and hope no one catches them.

2. Length.
    The shorter it is, the more views. No one under 30 will watch a video longer than five minutes.

3. Talking.
    People are wired to like human faces and voices. The more you have the better. I personally don't care if I get a big following and I am not monetizing. So I mostly use titles to communicate and while I do not aggressively hide my face I do not show it if I do not have to.
    https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/nc700x_dct_abs/2015/oklahomahank/621000]

Bike: NC700X, WR250R
    It takes real potential for unique and well-presented content to get me to watch any vid of over 2 minutes and I am practically OLD ; }

https://www.flickr.com/photos/greenboy667/albums

Bike: NC700X, WR250R
    Also, I grew up to appreciate and be moved by all kinds of good music, pretty much regardless of style/genre, new or old. I've heard too many lame formulaic "soundtracks" for motorsports and extreme sports vids and broadcast TV for that matter with its interchangeable bombastic nonsense. But I've been lucky enough to see some using music from local budding artists that was credited and done with permission, that fit well and was paced to edit to.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/greenboy667/albums

Bike: 2013 Super Tenere, 2006 Husky 610
    I do commercial video for a living. Content is king. You have about 30 seconds to completely lose someone, 10 seconds to keep them.
    I hate riding videos. They are boring and no one wants to see them... UNLESS... you EDIT and edit well.

For reference, we usually shoot around 5 - 6 interviews 15 - 30 minutes long and probably 8 hours of "B-roll" to produce a 3 - 5 min video. (that includes 15 sec interview segments)
    A straight "sizzle reel" no more than 1.5 min...

Here is 15 hours of footage crammed into 1.5 min..

If you are just shooting a ride and the meeting afterwards, the entire video should be 30 - 45 seconds long.

Just cut together clips of a crash, a near mis, the 3 seconds when you came through heavy trees to reveal a beautiful valley etc... the longest clip should be no more than 5 seconds.

It's VERY hard to put together an interesting "riding" video especially with 1 GoPro strapped to your head or bike...

Lots to making a video, even more to making a GOOD video.
    Last edited by SleepyC; 30th August 2017 at 09:45.
    ”Fill your life with adventures, not things. Have stories to tell, not stuff to show.”

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepyC View Post
    I do commercial video for a living. Content is king. You have about 30 seconds to completely lose someone, 10 seconds to keep them.
    I hate riding videos. They are boring and no one wants to see them... UNLESS... you EDIT and edit well.

For reference, we usually shoot around 5 - 6 interviews 15 - 30 minutes long and probably 8 hours of "B-roll" to produce a 3 - 5 min video. (that includes 15 sec interview segments)
    A straight "sizzle reel" no more than 1.5 min...

Here is 15 hours of footage crammed into 1.5 min..

If you are just shooting a ride and the meeting afterwards, the entire video should be 30 - 45 seconds long.

Just cut together clips of a crash, a near mis, the 3 seconds when you came through heavy trees to reveal a beautiful valley etc... the longest clip should be no more than 5 seconds.

It's VERY hard to put together an interesting "riding" video especially with 1 GoPro strapped to your head or bike...

Lots to making a video, even more to making a GOOD video.
    I pretty strongly disagree with this. It may be true for product commercials but it can't be directly applied to riding videos. For example, your PB Blaster video may only be 1:43 long, but I have no interest in watching even 5 seconds of it.
    On the other hand, I am interested in watching some bike videos, and I cut those videos a lot of slack as far as content and production values because it is something I want to see. A riding video as you described may be short, but it would be a waste of time to watch. I agree that just strapping a go pro on your helmet and hitting record isn't going to be compelling for long but I also believe that a compelling riding video can be, and generally are, much longer than 30-45 seconds. Additionally, depending on intent of the video, 35-40 seconds doesn't allow sufficient time for viewers to assess the content and build a relationship with the rider. Look at the popular youtube riding videos/vloggers. I promise you they average more than 30-45 seconds in their videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    I pretty strongly disagree with this. It may be true for product commercials but it can't be directly applied to riding videos. For example, your PB Blaster video may only be 1:43 long, but I have no interest in watching even 5 seconds of it.
    On the other hand, I am interested in watching some bike videos, and I cut those videos a lot of slack as far as content and production values because it is something I want to see. A riding video as you described may be short, but it would be a waste of time to watch. I agree that just strapping a go pro on your helmet and hitting record isn't going to be compelling for long but I also believe that a compelling riding video can be, and generally are, much longer than 30-45 seconds. Additionally, depending on intent of the video, 35-40 seconds doesn't allow sufficient time for viewers to assess the content and build a relationship with the rider. Look at the popular youtube riding videos/vloggers. I promise you they average more than 30-45 seconds in their videos.
    So what you are describing is a Riding documentary which is a whole different ball of wax. I can watch a 4 hour long riding documentary combining a few very short riding clips intertwined with interviews, local style and scenery and humor.
    Please link to a non documentary riding video that is long, just riding and not boring.

Even in the LWR movie and series, the riding segments were no more than 5 to MAYBE 10 seconds a shot.
    ”Fill your life with adventures, not things. Have stories to tell, not stuff to show.”

Here's a 10 hour day compressed into under 2 min (ignore the time spent talking to Katie after the recap, that was for documentation purposes)

Bike: 2014 NC750x
    Here's a 10 hour day compressed into under 2 min
    So the key to a great video is cute girls in spandex... got it.
    "We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it." - Douglas Adams

--== Please see my profile "About Me" section for a summary of my bike's mods and customizations ==--

Bike: Various
    Certainly content is important, but cramming a bunch of stuff into 1-2 minutes is frankly annoying to me and is the approach often taken with advertising and other types of promotional video whose job it is to hijack (rather than just maintain) the viewer's attention. That's completely different from creating an interesting, perhaps informative video on a subject the viewer is actually interested in.

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Here's a 10 hour day compressed into under 2 min (ignore the time spent talking to Katie after the recap, that was for documentation purposes)

Yeah that was too long because it was a bunch of cuts showing things that were not interesting to me. If I was interested in bicycle training that may be a good intro to a video that does the training (too long for that though) but it did nothing to compel me to seek out additional similar videos. Again, it was like a commercial and not something compelling to watch. If you were to create a series of 10 such videos what would be the point?
    What is communicated? Sorry but that is the point - it depends on what you are interested in and the message you are communicating.