Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DCT Stuck In Gear

Bike: Honda NC700

DCT Stuck In Gear

I was driving home last night on the freeway and started to climb a slight rise in the road, giving it some throttle I noticed nothing was happening and had to quickly get to the side of road without being hit. There was absolutely no warning lights that came on UNTIL I came to a complete stop, when the engine shut off and the Check Engine Light came on. I had to get towed and got the news that the engine had gotten stuck in 3rd gear. The shop has never seen this happen and doesn't know why. I'm wondering if anyone else has heard of this happening, as I've lost a little faith in the DCT today.

Bike: 2015 Honda NC700XD
    That sucks! Mine is a 2015 DCT so that makes me nervous, but it has performed flawlessly so far. So turning the key off and on didn't help? What does the service manual say about your particular senario? Anyway, I wish you the best of luck and keep us informed of the progress with your ride!

Bike: 2013 NC700XD, 2010 NT700V, 1987 XL600R
    Quote Originally Posted by hojo View Post
    I was driving home last night on the freeway and started to climb a slight rise in the road, giving it some throttle I noticed nothing was happening and had to quickly get to the side of road without being hit. There was absolutely no warning lights that came on UNTIL I came to a complete stop, when the engine shut off and the Check Engine Light came on. I had to get towed and got the news that the engine had gotten stuck in 3rd gear. The shop has never seen this happen and doesn't know why. I'm wondering if anyone else has heard of this happening, as I've lost a little faith in the DCT today.
    Don't worry, it probably covered under warranty. Most likely a manufacturing defect...

People assemble these engines and they can make mistakes or a sensor failed.

No worries and do not threat...
    Last edited by Brillot2000; 28th September 2015 at 15:45. Reason: Typo
    Bruce B.
    Sun Valley, CA, U.S.A.
    2013 NC700XD (DCT) - NaNCy
    1987 XL600R - Megas
    2010 NT700V - NaTalie

Bike: 2013 NC700XD, 2010 NT700V, 1987 XL600R
    Quote Originally Posted by walawn View Post
    That sucks! Mine is a 2015 DCT so that makes me nervous, but it has performed flawlessly so far. So turning the key off and on didn't help? What does the service manual say about your particular senario? Anyway, I wish you the best of luck and keep us informed of the progress with your ride!
    You should always shift into "Neutral" and shut off the engine with the kill switch and then switch off the key. This is the most recommend method of shutting off this bike.
    Bruce B.
    Sun Valley, CA, U.S.A.
    2013 NC700XD (DCT) - NaNCy
    1987 XL600R - Megas
    2010 NT700V - NaTalie

Bike: NC700XD, Versys X-300
    I got mine stuck in 6th one time accidentally hitting the kill switch on the highway. Had to repeatedly turn engine on and off with key and rock the bike back and forth as it changed one gear at a time from 6th down through first to neutral. Your comment of "slight rise" coupled with "third gear" and "nothing happening" makes me assume you lost all power as you would have been able to climb a slight rise in third. Is it possible you did what I did and unknowingly bumped the kill switch? I was 20 minutes on the side of the road before I noticed the switch. Major embarrassment as other bikers had stopped to help but of course no knowledge of DCT.
    Apply dog logic to life:
    "Eat Well, Be Loved, Get Petted, Sleep A Lot, and Dream Of A Leash Free World."

ATG ATT

Bike: 14 Honda NC700XD / 14 Honda CRF250L
    Same thing happened to me and it freaked me out! I was on the interstate and my Bluetooth came lose from my helmet so I let go of the gas to grab it and I shoved it into my jacket. When I went to give the ole girl gas, she wouldn't go. No lights no anything and as I pulled over she shut off. She would not crank and as I looked I noticed she was stuck in 6th gear. I didnt know what to do but I knew I was too close to the side of the interstate so I pushed her over and as I did she clunked down into 5th. I pushed a little more and down to 4th she went. So I put her on her center stand and I turned the rear tire came 3rd, 2nd, 1st, and VOILA Neutral. She turned on and I got home just fine. I checked oil levels and everything I could think of but nothing seemed out of whack. That was a month ago and no problems have occurred since.
    Vman1313 Adventures ((( Explore ~ Discover ~ Conquer! )))

*****STATES TRAVELED IN A CAGE************STATES TRAVELED ON A MOTORCYCLE*****

Bike: Honda NC700
    -Nope, I did not hit the kill switch.
    -The mechanic said he has no idea why it got stuck in third, just odd. What makes even more odd to me is the fact that I was in D(rive) mode going about 65 mph when I just wanted a little more gas to climb, I never touched the manual shifter, so I wondered how it went all the way down to 3rd gear as I didn't give it that much gas...unless it did it by itself as I was coasting to a stop, where it died when I came to a stop.
    -When I came to a stop, the check engine light came on, despite me turning it off and on several times. Also, the "-" indicator was always on which meant I couldn't start it, despite several attempts.
    -This morning when I turned it on again, the check engine light came on, then disappeared and the oil light came on...the oil level is fine.
    -The wrench fixed it by taking off the cam shaft cover and manually rotating the engine to disengage the gear. If it ever happens again, this is the fix he said I could do. I wonder since the bike didn't get into neutral, if pushing the bike back and forth would do it too. On the other hand, the bike was pushed a good distance to get loaded up and that didn't resolve the stuck gear issue. The bike isn't due for a valve check so I'm not sure what size tools, but I may want to look and throw the appropriate wrench in my kit.

Bike: nc700 dct
    I have experienced only one issue, but thats my fault for not warming up the bike a little.
    besides that.... nothing ever happened. Have 8k miles on her and still going strong. Shifts fine.

ken

Bike: SH150i, CTX700ND
    You should check all electrical connectors to transmission, shift motor, PCM, battery.
    Service manual would be helpful. All section 12 is about DCT.

Bike: Nc750D Integra
    If the side stand switch buggers up, it will have the engine shut down on you in gear. Third seems weird indeed, in D at 65 you should be in 6th. It goes in 6th at 65 KM/H, never mind M/H in D.

Get your workshop to look at the side stand switch too, just in case.