Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why rear brake so weak

Bike: nc700x

why rear brake so weak

For an integrated brake, I find the rear to be a bit wooden. I have yet to be able to lock it up and trigger the ABS.

Super Moderator why rear brake so weak 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    I like it for that fact that it doesn't lock easily (I don't have ABS). NC700X brake tests by magazines show very good numbers, so I guess it gets the job done.

Example of wooden brakes:
    why rear brake so weak-stock-photo-brake-historic-old-t-jpg
    Last edited by 670cc; 16th July 2015 at 08:28.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Fixed Idea why rear brake so weak
    why rear brake so weak
    Bike: CBR125R NC700XA
    It's extremely difficult for a motorcycle manufacturer to please the whims of all riders, all the time...

*most* riders I'm thinking, aren't super delicate with the rear brake application anyway, and especially in a panic situation, are more prone to stomp on the rear brake versus lightly apply it.

Several contributing factors may be involved here. I think it may play into the fact that the NC has a pretty long wheelbase, is, while not outrageously heavy, a bit chunky nevertheless, and has a very low COG, possibly making weight transfer to the front not such a quick and prominent effect as some other bikes. Add in the linked factor, where the rear pedal is also activating one of the front caliper pistons, and this could deaden the feel, too.

Since it has ABS, IMHO it's much better to have the brake do some work up to the point of lock up and ABS interference, versus an instant lock, and instant ABS activation. This is more of my own liking of how a rear brake feels for my tastes.

I count the rear brake on my NC as amongst the best on any bike I've owned, because the rear brake doesn't lock the tire if I breath wrong, lol.

Since the front and rear are linked, I am at least grateful that the rear brake isn't super touchy or overwhelming when I'm off road in thick gravel, because I notice a wee bit of a handling quirk upon occasion, when it would be a time when I really, really, didn't want to be touching the front brake at all.

The end result though, is I am not a fan of the linking of front and rear brake, personally.
    Chillin' with Cybersix and Data 7 in Meridiana

Bike: '12 NC700XC
    I've chirped the rear when braking hard. I don't have the ABS, obviously. I appreciate the fact that the rear brake takes rather a lot of pedal movement to lock up the wheel. Makes it much easier to modulate.

Senior Member why rear brake so weak StratTuner's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X model C
    I liked LBS's answer and can only add that, the only way to know for sure WHY would be to ask the engineer that specified that rear brake.
    His/her consideration may have been:

cost, standardization, stopping power...(?)

My own guess would be cost was the first consideration. The engineer specd. a rear brake common to Honda motorcycles of that size.
    The side effect is that it's very hard to lock up the rear brake, and if the NC was aimed at those returning to riding (like me after 30 years), then it's good that the brake behaves that way.
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

"If you don't understand him, and he don't die young,
    he'll probly just ride away."
    - Willie Nelson

Senior Member why rear brake so weak
    Bike: 2014 NC700 dct
    how many miles are on you bikes? new brakes are going to seem weaker until the first layer is worn off and have a complete bond with the disc.

be easy on the brakes, brakes need to be bed-in to gain full performance of the pad.

just like in car brake pad. many people dont bed-in their brake pads

google this: bed- in brakes- or break-in brakes

there is a proper way

Bike: nc700x
    1200 miles. Brakes bed in, in less than 100 miles city

Bike: 2013 XD
    Quote Originally Posted by mreric View Post
    how many miles are on you bikes? new brakes are going to seem weaker until the first layer is worn off and have a complete bond with the disc.

be easy on the brakes, brakes need to be bed-in to gain full performance of the pad.

just like in car brake pad. many people dont bed-in their brake pads

google this: bed- in brakes- or break-in brakes

there is a proper way
    I haven't made it 3 or 4 hundred miles without having to brake hard as far back as I can remember.
    It would be nice to have a track I guess.

Bike: X-Adventure, Suzuki VStrom 1000ABS, 1989 Honda Dominator, CRF250L
    On a bike with linked brakes (and ABS in this instance) I tend to view the brakes, front and back, as an overall component. Viewing them as such, and with the benefit of having other bikes, I believe the NC brakes are very good. One sure sign of this is that I never have to think about them on my rides. I cannot say the same for the brakes on my Triumph Explorer which as an overall component are not as good as the NC despite twin discs on front. They, on the other hand have given me moments of concern.
    Last edited by Griff; 17th July 2015 at 10:05.

Bike: NC700X
    I am glad it is, the last two bikes the rear brakes were the same as the front and would lockup in a heart beat. I can lock the rear if I press real hard. This was I don't have to worry about lock up in a panic stop.