Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: changing air filter little bit complicated...

Bike: 2013 XD
    Quote Originally Posted by CDA441 View Post
    It's actually very easy to do, I've watched the video halfways but then went on and removed all fairings and screws I needed to remove, and it came apart in 1 piece.
    Those clicky fasteners are so much more easier to undo than hex bolts.
    Next year the warranty on my bike ends, so I can do everything myself because I hate spending some extra cash I could save by doing it myself
    What came apart in one piece?
    We have had one of ours apart and I am glad that we had a cardboard piece with a drawing on it so we could put each fastener in a "location" to get them all back on. Or maybe I am getting so old and forgetful that I am no longer qualified. My sons even take pics along the way though.changing air filter little bit complicated...-taylors-turn-signal-5-jpg

Bike: '04 VFR800 VTEC
    Quote Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
    What came apart in one piece?
    We have had one of ours apart and I am glad that we had a cardboard piece with a drawing on it so we could put each fastener in a "location" to get them all back on. Or maybe I am getting so old and forgetful that I am no longer qualified. My sons even take pics along the way though.changing air filter little bit complicated...-taylors-turn-signal-5-jpg
    The big top piece where the lock for the frunk is seated
    I work via the method of elimination, and check if everything fits, that works too changing air filter little bit complicated...
    License to ride 05/08/15
    Suzuki XF650 Freewind (2014-2017)
    Honda NC700 XA (2017 - / )

Honda VFR800 VTEC ABS (2018 - /)
    Find me on YT: https://youtube.com/cda441
    Find me on Wordpress: https://cda441.wordpress.com

Bike: NC700x

K&N isn't so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by eastbayandy View Post
    My Nissan truck started to idle badly, so I looked at the air filter[I bought the truck used] and discovered it was a K&N. So I cleaned and re oiled it using K&N products, and while I was at it took a look at my MAS [mass air sensor] , just 2 screws. It was covered in sooty oil. Jot some cleaner and problem solved. For awhile, as it is idling badly again. I suspect the K&N oil is fouling the MAS. I did not over oil it as I suspected the might be the problem. I'm going to buy a paper filter and clean the MAS again. I don't know if this could be an issue with the 700x as I don't think we have a MAS, but I'm not taking the chance as the filter needs to be changed so infrequently.
    I have run K&N filters in vehicles since 09 I've never had an issue. Only thing I can think has happened to your vehicle is someone over oiled it when it came down to servicing the filter. I've never done so with the aerosol mixture but I would imagine the pour on it would be easy to do so. I have nothing bad I can say about them and I'm happy never having to buy another filter just keep cleaning.

Bike: 2016 Honda NC700X ABS DCT, 2015 BMW K1600 GTLE
    Quote Originally Posted by MZ5 View Post
    For me, it depends in part upon whether I've had to ride during/through a haboob. Also, I tend to have lots of weed seeds and other significant 'stuff' in the pleats by the time I service or change the filter. I changed the first filter at ~12,000 miles, and this time at ~14,000 more, mainly because I was going to be away from home and on the bike for a couple months and wanted to have everything fresh and ready for a zero-maintenance experience.

All that said, I run a K&N which has lots more surface area than the stock filter, and while clearly dirty, it wasn't likely near 'needing' to be serviced. So, perhaps it will work fine to go to at least the factory-specified interval, or maybe as far as you're planning to go, next time. ..so long as I can avoid the dusty haboobies...
    I usually do the filter change on all my vehicles after monsoon season is over in October-November.

Bike: 2012 NC700X DCT
    I bet the filter location was a packaging constraint to accommodate the trunk.

I'll take all this complication in changing an air filter if I get to have a trunk that swallows my full-face helmet on the bike. I think Honda prioritized correctly here. I use the trunk multiple times every day!

All of that said, it looks like I'm losing my challenge to do a valve adjustment during a 1-hour lunch break. (First one that I know of on the bike... (I'm the second owner)... It came to my attention last week around 38k miles.