Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: changing air filter little bit complicated...

Senior Member changing air filter little bit complicated...
    Bike: 2015 NC700XD
    Changed my air filter yesterday, took longer than anticipated because I forgot to reconnect the 2-wire plug. Basically doubled the work as it was completely back together with a bright engine alert light on the dash. Ugh. My bad.

Old filter, at 25,000 miles, allowed no light thru when held up to an Arizona sun. It was time.

Bike: Nc700x
    As savy Honda engineers are , they definetly could of had a different approach to the blasted air filter. It would have made a big impression on possible buyers.

Super Moderator changing air filter little bit complicated... 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
    As savy Honda engineers are , they definetly could of had a different approach to the blasted air filter. It would have made a big impression on possible buyers.
    That’s true, and I don’t disagree. However, the seat is an engineering disaster and readily visible to potential buyers, yet they are undeterred. I’d guess the hidden air filter is far from their minds when making a purchase decision.

I find that after changing the air filter on a GL1800, the NC700X job is pretty simple, and I don’t complain so much.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: 2012 NC700X & many others.....
    If it's a Jap Bike I'm looking to buy, I never even consider the Maint Tasks involved down the road prior to purchasing.......maybe I'm just na´ve?? Now, if it's a Ducati, BMW, or maybe a KTM........"yes", I would look into maintenance requirements (and what it would cost me at a dealer) before I jumped on it......not that I'd be jumping on any of those in the first place. I grew up with Jap bikes, and that's probably the only kind I will ever own.
    Last edited by Moto-Kafe; 12th January 2018 at 11:55.

Bike: NC750XD
    Well on most bikes you have to remove the fuel tank, which means disconnecting fuel line, pump supply and fuel level sensor. This is hardly better...

Senior Member changing air filter little bit complicated... dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Honestly I don't understand the fuss. Most of us never ride a single bike long enough to have to change the air filter at all or maybe one time during ownership. Then it's a 30 minute job taking your time. The NC is super easy to maintain even to the letter of Honda's recommendations.
    Dave

ST1300
    NC700XD
    GL1800

Bike: ManyhaveIhad
    Do a valve adjustment on a Honda V4, then tell me how difficult the NC is to work on.

Bike: Nc700x
    It's a matter of simplicity and ease of maintenance. Divert all you wish , Honda could have done much better. Regardless of one's proposed time table , it actually should be minutes rather half an hour or longer ( no snags etc). The seat will take awhile to figure out.....riding a bit , as for all bikes. Like my 700x , yes , but a PIA design is just that , no excuses nor diversion.

Bike: 2014 Honda CTX1300
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    . . . the seat is an engineering disaster and readily visible to potential buyers, yet they are undeterred. .
    OK, what is this with the seat ???? (Potential buyer here of a 2013 non-DCT model)

Super Moderator changing air filter little bit complicated... 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by TarsTarkas View Post
    OK, what is this with the seat ???? (Potential buyer here of a 2013 non-DCT model)
    We'd be going off topic here, but regardless of whether the seat foam happens to fit your butt or not, the general consensus is that it's somewhat uncomfortable because the seat surface slopes forward. A popular mod, aside from aftermarket replacement seats (many of which still don't fix the slope) is to raise the front of the seat. See and discuss here: Seat mod......slope change

Back to the air filter topic, although Honda specs an air filter change every 12,000 miles, I have no problem with it lasting at least 24,000 miles and thus change it then. YMMV depending on environment.
    Last edited by 670cc; 12th January 2018 at 20:46.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250