Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Break in your NC700X

Bike: Ducati Monster, NC700X

Break in your NC700X

I've heard 2 school of thoughts on breaking in your engine. One is to follow a strict RPM limit and slowly increase it for the first 600 hundred miles. Others argue that the tolerance of the engine is built so precise and that the engine had been ran in the factory for testing, there is no need for "break in". So it's rock 'n roll right out of the box.

What are your thoughts and what did you do to break in?

Member Break in your NC700X Cutter J. Duke's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X
    Simple, follow the directions in the owners manual. Its the best way to end up with a long lasting motor.

Fixed Idea Break in your NC700X
    Break in your NC700X
    Bike: CBR125R NC700XA
    I have always ridden my motorcycles pretty much as I would anyway during break in, but with the adherence to no lengthy highway trips, no steady droning at one targetted RPM, and I don't intentionally redline it or flog the nuts off it for the first 1,000 km's.

The exception to this was my CBR125R, which you pretty much need to flog straight away if you are not going to be punted off the road by little old ladies in Camrys etc. lol

So it got the 11,000 RPM full throttle every gear beat down right from the dealer's parking lot, 5 years ago and counting.

It doesn't burn a single drop of it's 1 litre capacity between oil changes, and it's one of the most wonderful motorcycles I've ever owned in 40 plus years and over 20 bikes. Zero problems. 100% happiness.

If my NCX is only half the bike my 125R is, I'll count myself blessed.

Senior Member Break in your NC700X gkgeiger's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X DCT
    Ride it like you stole it. Well not quite, but I always run my new bike harder then recommended and have never had an oil burner or any problem with the engine. I've had over 50 bikes.
    Gene

Bike: Honda NC700x
    Honda is saying give the engine a breakin of 300 miles. That seems like a pretty quick and easy thing to live with. I've looked at the youtube video about rapid and hard breakin and it just is not logical. Saying you get increased cylinder and ring to cylinder wall pressure with increased rpms, totally untrue. What you do get is heat, and this is why Honda says to take it easy during breakin.

My 2cents
    Art

Bike: NC700X , XR250
    Since i read Motorman's 'break-in secrets' i've tried to follow a middle line. I give a new bike some hard acceleration, then let it rev down with no throttle, then again, usually up a twisty mountain road (no shortage of that here). I don't redline it however, and listen to what it tells me. Two new bikes i've applied this to (not counting the NC) and very good engines, lots of power, no oil consumption, so i guess it makes sense.

Very good text about this here (where i got the info about early oil change too, by the way) :

New Motorcycle Check list, Break in

Senior Member Break in your NC700X
    Bike: NC700DCT
    I think the redline of this motor is low enough that you can't posibly abuse it even on purpose let alone by mistake. I just rode it like I would any bike on a daily basis. 1st oil change looked normal after inspecting the dump.

Super Moderator Break in your NC700X 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Naked_Duc View Post
    I've heard 2 school of thoughts on breaking in your engine. One is to follow a strict RPM limit and slowly increase it for the first 600 hundred miles. Others argue that the tolerance of the engine is built so precise and that the engine had been ran in the factory for testing, there is no need for "break in". So it's rock 'n roll right out of the box.

What are your thoughts and what did you do to break in?
    I don't know about the NC700X specifically, but I watched Honda build Goldwing 1800's at the Ohio factory. At the end of the line, they start the 'Wing and drive it up on a dyno. The tester runs it through the gears. It rolls off the dyno and, if all was well, it ships. That engine was assembled a short while before, ran for 3 or 4 minutes, then goes off to the buyer.

I'm not suggesting that their manufacturing process is lacking in any way, but simply stating that there is nothing you might call "break in" done by the factory.

Greg
    Last edited by 670cc; 18th October 2012 at 17:44.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Senior Member Break in your NC700X bamamate's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X manual
    My personal opinion…..it more a matter of having several heating and cooling cycles to allow metal and gaskets to stabilize than it is the miles. I like to get a few shorter rides in with occasion trips to redline before I go out and thrash it.

Bike: 2012 Honda NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by gkgeiger View Post
    Ride it like you stole it. Well not quite, but I always run my new bike harder then recommended and have never had an oil burner or any problem with the engine. I've had over 50 bikes.
    That's what Harley Davidson told me when I bought my first Sportster. Ride it like you stole it!