Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vibration at 55 (or other high gear load) SOLVED!

Bike: NC700X

Vibration at 55 (or other high gear load) SOLVED!

I apologize for recreating this topic which was closed by others who felt our vibration claims had no merit, no solution, or they just got tired of hearing about it.

I am now approaching 22,000 miles, and have lived (suffered) with the noted vibration at varying degrees for the two years I have owned my bike. I drive year round, every day to work, unless the temperature is below 9 degrees F. or there is a risk of snow/ice, or salt is sprayed onto the road. The vibration problem is now fixed, and the bike is working perfectly. I now plan to purchase my hard bags, which I have delayed the purchase of, due to the high probability I would eventually discard the bike. Ironically, over the near 22,000 miles I have ridden, my overall average MPG is 71MPG. (total miles divided by total gallons..accounting for gallons to the third digit). Regardless of the excellent mileage, the vibration under load conditions has always frustrated me.

For those who have been on this forum, you may recall 2 years ago, that I had addressed my concerns about my bike having an engine vibration whenever the engine was taxed, especially in the upper gears. The vibration was extremely pronounced when accelerating at the higher gears or when trying to maintain speed. This vibration existed since the day I purchased the bike. I could not recall these symptoms when driving the test bike which I drove the day prior to picking up my bike. Sadly, the test bike was out for the weekend, and I decided to take the bike I had returned to the dealer (160 miles away) to purchase. Over the initial 6 months of ownership the vibration problem gradually worsened, and then began to subside...NOT eliminated. I was almost at the point of trading, or upgrading..however, I did not see another bike that I wanted. During this period of worsening vibration and performance, I spent time scoping the spark signals, verifying the engine compression, valve clearances, etc. I never could find anything obvious except for the fact that the HV spark signal was weaker in one cylinder, indicating a spark or fuel combustion difference.

After seeing many articles and "You tube" videos of folks describing engine performance and vibration problems cause by imbalanced injectors I decided to build my own injector tester to compare my own.. a noble ambition, that I never had time to complete. In the interim, after several 800 mile trips, I realized why I needed hard bags but I would not invest in the upgrade until I resolved the vibration problem. Bottom Line, I ordered 2 new injectors hoping that the two I ordered would be "good" and work properly. That was a risk...after all, the ones on my bike were new, but obviously one was bad from 'day one".

Bottom line-- I completed the injector installation today and have driven my bike over 50 miles. Repeatedly driving over the same hills and varying higher gear load conditions(in 4th thru 6th) that I have driven over 1,000 times in the past two year. BOTTOM LINE----MY VIBRATION IS GONE!!!

I still plan to build the injector test jig, to test my injectors that I removed. With retirement on the near horizon, I should have the time..unless I am trekking.

Senior Member Vibration at 55 (or other high gear load) SOLVED! StratTuner's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X model C
    What was the total cost of replacing both injectors? I ask because it might be worth doing unless it's prohibitively expensive.... of course, if it fixed that vibration, for someone who suffered with it, then it's priceless.
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

"If you don't understand him, and he don't die young,
    he'll probly just ride away."
    - Willie Nelson

Bike: 2012 NC 700X Moto Guzzi Jackal, Moto Guzzi Quota, GL1100 Goldwing
    While I am fortunate to not have the issue that has bothered you (understandably), I appreciate you taking the time, having the patience and sharing the solution with everybody. thank you!!

Bike: 2012 NC700; 2003 ST1300; 1993 CBR1000F
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Ed View Post
    Bottom line-- I completed the injector installation today and have driven my bike over 50 miles. Repeatedly driving over the same hills and varying higher gear load conditions(in 4th thru 6th) that I have driven over 1,000 times in the past two year. BOTTOM LINE----MY VIBRATION IS GONE!!!

I still plan to build the injector test jig, to test my injectors that I removed. With retirement on the near horizon, I should have the time..unless I am trekking.
    I think I have the same issue ... your description of the symptoms is similar to what I'm experiencing. My thoughts have been to check the plugs, check valve clearance, and so on. But maybe I have a faulty injector - it would certainly explain the symptoms I'm experiencing.

Glad you got it sorted and thanks mucho for the follow-up post.

Wow. Thanks for following up with this. I too have been experiencing an increase in vibrations, but been writing it off a characteristic of the bike. I will definitely be looking into this more now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Check out the California Riders Group!

Don't let the fear of what could happen make nothing happen.

Quote Originally Posted by StratTuner View Post
    What was the total cost of replacing both injectors? I ask because it might be worth doing unless it's prohibitively expensive.... of course, if it fixed that vibration, for someone who suffered with it, then it's priceless.
    Cost was approx. $150.00 for the injectors, seal rings and O-rings. I purchased from Procaliber (Washington or Oregon) I believe and no shipping due to the value.

2 ea Injectors- 16450-MFA-D02 @71.89 ea
    2 ea Seal ring, injectors- 16472-MGS-D30 @ $1.62 ea
    2 O-rings 91301-P7A-004 @ $1.81 ea ( I did not use these, the injectors had them already installed.

Looking at my Order , the web address seems to be https://procaliber.vnexttech.com
    used them because of their price, which someone else had noted in the forum as being much cheaper than others

When you get ready to pull, be advised that the battery box removal was a pain. The service manual instructions fail to note the removal of a valve, prior to removing the battery box. If it doesn't get removed, you cant remove the battery box. I stripped out one of the two valve mounting screws (Phillips) which was way too tight!! Bottom line, the battery box is sandwiched (with grommets) to the steel mount, so I had to disassemble the grommets and pull the battery box and its' mount, out in two pieces. That allowed me to get the steel mount (with the valve) out so I could then properly remove the screw. Both Phillips screws were replaced with M5x12 Allen bolts, in the event I need to remove this again in the future.

Senior Member Vibration at 55 (or other high gear load) SOLVED!
    Bike: 2014 NC700 dct
    great post, thanks for letting all member know of such solution

Bike: 2012 NC700; 2003 ST1300; 1993 CBR1000F
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Ed View Post
    I stripped out one of the two valve mounting screws (Phillips) which was way too tight!!

Bottom line, the battery box is sandwiched (with grommets) to the steel mount, so I had to disassemble the grommets and pull the battery box and its' mount, out in two pieces. That allowed me to get the steel mount (with the valve) out so I could then properly remove the screw.

Both Phillips screws were replaced with M5x12 Allen bolts, in the event I need to remove this again in the future.
    Thanks for the follow up with Part #'s ... I found them at PartZilla for the same price (I order quite a bit from PZ for the ST1300).

It should be noted, for others who are lurking this thread, you should NOT use a Phillips head screwdriver when working on a Japanese vehicle, most especially a bike. If you're gonna wrench on your own, and want to remove \ replace JIS screws on your Japanese bike, you need to invest in JIS screwdrivers, such as are found here:
    RRR Tool Solutions ... either the four or eight piece kit will get you there.

It's worth repeating (though I didn't explicitly state it yet):
    A Phillips head screwdriver will strip out a JIS screw head almost every time:

Vibration at 55 (or other high gear load) SOLVED!-jis-phil-jpg

Time to get me a set of the JIS screwdrivers!!!

Bike: Honda NC700X
    I'm wondering if the extended warranty will pay for this.