Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Coolant?

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Thanks for the resurrection Ripp! I was checking my coolant bottle the other day and noticed it was a bit below the low level line. I had thought about searching on here for the appropriate thread and "Poof" here it i! Thank you my friend!! :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    I just bought a jug of Liquid Performance Street coolant, $18 on STG's site. Its approved for track use, but good specs too. Unless you live where you bike in in temps below -30 lol.

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/l...ifreeze-64-oz/

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaJD View Post
    I just bought a jug of Liquid Performance Street coolant, $18 on STG's site. Its approved for track use, but good specs too. Unless you live where you bike in in temps below -30 lol.
    On the specs it ..........say phosphate free. Does not say silicate and borate free. Honda specs says must be silicate free.

Recommended Coolant?-3ae4fcad-67a5-4707-b3f3-c4e10a931228-jpg

Bike: '12 NC700XC
    The Liquid Performance stuff is propylene glycol. That's perfectly fine, and personally I prefer it for its _much_ lower toxicity. However, Amsoil's is the only bigger brand-name propylene glycol coolant I happen to know of that's phosphate- and silicate-free.
    AMSOIL Low Toxicity Antifreeze and Engine Coolant

Not exactly cheap, but meets spec.

Quote Originally Posted by showkey View Post
    On the specs it ..........say phosphate free. Does not say silicate and borate free. Honda specs says must be silicate free.

Recommended Coolant?-3ae4fcad-67a5-4707-b3f3-c4e10a931228-jpg
    Keyword - recommended. Kinda like how GN4 oil is recommended but everybody and their brother are out there running Amsoil, Rotella, or whatever else oil that might fit the bill.

If it said "required coolant", I'd be more concerned. Can't run traditional ethyl glycol antifreeze on track in any group above Novice. Must run approved poly glycol coolant like Liquid Performance, Engine Ice, 7th Gear, Evans, etc. That's my reason for purchasing. Either way, it seems to be good stuff based on what little I read about it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Silicate and borate free coolant has been a Honda “requirement” in all their engines for 40 years. As with most Japanese manufactures the water pump seals do not like silicates.

Quote from other forums:
    1.Silicates are infused into coolants to ‘scour’ the passages of your radiator and keep it clean. They also erode any o-rings that may be in your cooling system (the Honda Gold Wing was notorious for silicate-related coolant leaks. You won’t suffer overheating by running silicate-free coolant, but your o-rings will love you.
    2.The silicate and nitrite free extended life chemistry helps protect all cooling system metals from corrosion including aluminum.

Coolant chart two pages on chemistry and application

Link to chart
    Last edited by showkey; 8th October 2019 at 08:38.

Just to throw gas on the fire I just read the jug of A2 I've been using for years has phosphate Recommended Coolant?
    Last edited by rippin209; 8th October 2019 at 09:35.

Bike: Honda NC750X
    I've used Engine Ice before, probably what I'll use when it's time to change the coolant.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bike: NC700/RSVRV2/900SS/VFR750F2
    Quote Originally Posted by rippin209 View Post
    Just to throw gas on the fire I just read the jug of A2 I've been using for years has phosphate
    I don't think it has to be phosphate free by Honda guidelines... In my service manual it simply says "High quality ethylene glycol antifreeze containing silicate-free corrosion inhibitors", but I agree with no borate also based on some reading. Is it different for post-2012 manuals?

Honda Type 2 automotive is a great deal compared to the half gallon "race" products. Even shows up in MC specific articles in places (Ranking The Best Motorcycle Coolant Products).

Understand the environmental concern of improper disposal etc, but propylene glycol is only considered less toxic that ethylene glycol, and a non-toxic substance in well defined applications of limited exposure. WHO recommends a maximum intake of 11.4 mg of propylene glycol per pound of body weight (25 mg/kg) per day. That's about 1/100 of a cup (cup of water is 225,000 mg) of 50/50 mix propyl coolant for a 200lb person. Found that it is commonly used as the main ingredient in the "e-liquid" used in electronic cigarettes. Wonder if it has something to do with the illnesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Krampus View Post
    I don't think it has to be phosphate free by Honda guidelines... In my service manual it simply says "High quality ethylene glycol antifreeze containing silicate-free corrosion inhibitors", but I agree with no borate also based on some reading. Is it different for post-2012 manuals?

Honda Type 2 automotive is a great deal compared to the half gallon "race" products. Even shows up in MC specific articles in places (Ranking The Best Motorcycle Coolant Products).

Understand the environmental concern of improper disposal etc, but propylene glycol is only considered less toxic that ethylene glycol, and a non-toxic substance in well defined applications of limited exposure. WHO recommends a maximum intake of 11.4 mg of propylene glycol per pound of body weight (25 mg/kg) per day. That's about 1/100 of a cup (cup of water is 225,000 mg) of 50/50 mix propyl coolant for a 200lb person. Found that it is commonly used as the main ingredient in the "e-liquid" used in electronic cigarettes. Wonder if it has something to do with the illnesses.
    I bought a gallon of concentrate and put half in an empty peak coolant bottle I already had, added water from a 5 gallon jug so I had two gallons of A2 coolant for my NC, I used fresh coolant every time I checked/adjusted the valves and I even emptied the radiator twice due to my temp sensor going out, topped off my car even and I just had to buy another bottle around the beginning of the year, so that one bottle of concentrate (around $20) was good for 85,000 miles and that was me not being conservative, I have properly disposed of any old coolant and have not had any problems with my cooling system other then the temp sensor going bad (right after my air temp sensorRecommended Coolant?) no leaks and no buildup of any kind so I'd say it works well