Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mz handlebar turning/falling right after new tires installed?

Senior Member Mz handlebar turning/falling right after new tires installed? Afan's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 NC700X DCT

Mz handlebar turning/falling right after new tires installed?

On Monday I (local bike shop) put new tires. Yesterday I realized that the front tire is up (the bike is on centerstand falls/turns to the right?!? You can see it HERE.
    Why? The installation went wrong?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't before like this because I keep my bike almost always on the centerstand.

Thanks for any help/suggestion/idea...
    Last edited by Afan; 14th August 2019 at 06:04.
    Instead million dollars, give me million miles!

Super Moderator Mz handlebar turning/falling right after new tires installed? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Are you saying that while on the centerstand, the rear tire now rests on the ground instead of the front? Is there a change to the way the rear of the bike is loaded? More stuff in the top case or saddlebag?

I can’t think of how a tire installation could go awry and change the weight bias to affect the way the bike sits on the centerstand.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Senior Member Mz handlebar turning/falling right after new tires installed? Afan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    Are you saying that while on the centerstand, the rear tire now rests on the ground instead of the front? Is there a change to the way the rear of the bike is loaded? More stuff in the top case or saddlebag?

I can’t think of how a tire installation could go awry and change the weight bias to affect the way the bike sits on the centerstand.
    No. The front tire is on the ground. That's ok.
    Yesterday, when I sat on the bike to go home from work, on the parking lot, the front tire went up - as it supposed to (I'm heavy SOB ), and then the tire/handlebar turned right. It's like right side of the handlebar/fork/tire/... is heavier?!?!?

Senior Member Mz handlebar turning/falling right after new tires installed?
    Bike: SV,NC,berg 570s
    I can't imagine the weight bias being anywhere near far enough back to get the front tire off the ground - as is, there's a pretty significant front bias and I have to put a LOT of weight on the back to lift the front while on the centerstand.

When pulling a bike back, the bars often like to go one way or the other, so I find that when putting it on the stand the bars typically end up turned.
    12 NC700X
    11 FE570
    11 FS570
    15 450/520XCF SM

Super Moderator Mz handlebar turning/falling right after new tires installed? 670cc's Avatar
    Inspect the installer’s work on both front and rear wheels. Inspect the front axle to ensure the spacers were put back in the correct places on the axle. But if that were a problem, I’d expect front brake or rideability problems to be obvious. It could be just a case of the randomness of which direction the bars fall, and the heavier front tire may have altered that behavior.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
    I can't imagine the weight bias being anywhere near far enough back to get the front tire off the ground - as is, there's a pretty significant front bias and I have to put a LOT of weight on the back to lift the front while on the centerstand...
    I was sitting on the bike on the video to be able to make the front wheel up in the air.

... When pulling a bike back, the bars often like to go one way or the other, so I find that when putting it on the stand the bars typically end up turned.
    Often, but not always. Sometimes they stay in the center. In my case, now, it always turn to the right, even if it's couple degrees on the left - you can see on the video.

... Inspect the front axle to ensure the spacers were put back in the correct places on the axle...
    I can check this only if I take the wheel off, right?

... But if that were a problem, I’d expect front brake or rideability problems to be obvious...
    Front wheel is wobbly on slower speeds. The faster I ride the wobbliness is harder to feel But if I let go of the handlebar the shaking is very visible.
    I felt it immediately after I left the shop but I thought it's new tire. And I was more "concerned" about "diving in" of the front wheel.

... It could be just a case of the randomness of which direction the bars fall, and the heavier front tire may have altered that behavior.
    You want to say that this is ok?

By the way, totally the same behavior was on the parking lot and in my garage.

This is difficult for “us” to diagnose sitting in front of a computer. You can visually inspect the front axle and see if all the parts are in place. Also, with the front wheel lifted, try to wiggle it to see if it’s loose.

If this were mine, I would take the front wheel off and see if anything is wrong before riding any more, not because it flops over, but because you say the bike is unstable when riding. Verify that the axle spacers are in their correct place and that everything was properly torqued. If someone else installed this front wheel, you have reason to be suspicious about the installation (which is why I do my own work).

I have used a Shinko 705 front and mine handled just fine.

If you want, show us close up photos of both sides of the front axle.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member

Senior Member Mz handlebar turning/falling right after new tires installed?
    Bike: SV,NC,berg 570s
    Quote Originally Posted by Afan View Post
    I was sitting on the bike on the video to be able to make the front wheel up in the air.

Often, but not always. Sometimes they stay in the center. In my case, now, it always turn to the right, even if it's couple degrees on the left - you can see on the video.
    is your garage floor perfectly level?
    12 NC700X
    11 FE570
    11 FS570
    15 450/520XCF SM

This is difficult for “us” to diagnose sitting in front of a computer...
    True, but from your experience you probably have an idea (and you told me) what eventually can be a cause, right

... Also, with the front wheel lifted, try to wiggle it to see if it’s loose...
    Good one!

... If this were mine, I would take the front wheel off and see if anything is wrong before riding any more, not because it flops over, but because you say the bike is unstable when riding. Verify that the axle spacers are in their correct place and that everything was properly torqued...
    I'll probably do that. Thanks.

... If someone else installed this front wheel, you have reason to be suspicious about the installation (which is why I do my own work)...
    It was a bike shop. Although not Honda specific shop (I'm in kind of "war" with them, but as I can see now, I'm the one who's hurt in the "war").

... (which is why I do my own work)...
    You're right, I should've do it myself...

... If you want, show us close up photos of both sides of the front axle.
    I'll try to take couple pics tomorrow...

is your garage floor perfectly level?
    Perfectly? I doubt it. But good enough. If nothing else, it's happening at the same spot I always park, so I can compare to how it was before.
    And the same thing happened at the parking lot in front of my office.