Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mz handlebar turning/falling right after new tires installed?

Bike: NC700/RSVRV2/900SS/VFR750F2
    If I lift the front while on the center stand, which actually takes very little pressure on the back seat, the front of mine always falls to the right. I just assume it is the mass of the brake rotor. I consider it normal. To include after I re-torqued the steering stem nut.

Now the wobble thing is of concern. The two spacers are identical; same part number both sides; however, they still have to seat into the recess at the bearing seals (i.e. not sure if the spacer is simply a section of uniform tubing) - you'll likely have to pull the wheel to verify. And also need to align the front wheel once axle is torqued but before tightening the axle pinch bolt on the left side. Do you have a way to check the wheel balance while you're at it? Do a visual of the bead also just in case it did not fully seat on the rim somewhere; that would very likely help cause a bit of a wobble.
    Last edited by Krampus; 14th August 2019 at 15:54.

Bike: '13 NC700X, '09 Moto Guzzi V7 Classic
    My falls to the right with the front wheel off the ground while on centerstand, I think it's normal.
    I'm not smart enough for a smart phone, so all I have is a dumb phone.
    GPS? Why would I want one of them? You can't get lost, there's no fun in that.

Senior Member Mz handlebar turning/falling right after new tires installed? Afan's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 NC700X DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis M View Post
    My falls to the right with the front wheel off the ground while on centerstand, I think it's normal.

Just came back from the local Honda dealer. Wanted to see how much/fast the handlebar goes to the right. Sadly, not a single one 700X/750X has centerstand so I couldn't check. The service guy said the same thing that it is "common" that the handlebar falls to the right, for the same reason mentioned here, the rotor, break and the ABS component. But, when I showed to him the video (the same I posted here) he agreed that it's a bit "...to quick, a bit faster than it supposed to..." and he thinks that the "tensioner on the steering steam is never adjusted for 24K miles" (or something like that - probably I failed in the terminology, don't remember well ) . And he mentioned, before I did, that the handlebar most likely is shaking.

Guess what am I doing on Saturday morning?
    Instead million dollars, give me million miles!

Senior Member Mz handlebar turning/falling right after new tires installed?
    Bike: SV,NC,berg 570s
    The steering head bearings are most likely what he was referring to.

As with chains, a little on the loose side is better than a little on the tight side.
    12 NC700X
    11 FE570
    11 FS570
    15 450/520XCF SM

Bike: 2014 NC 700x
    I would verify if they balanced the front tire. You should see some small weighted tape pieces glued to the rim if so.(maybe 1/2: wide and an 1-3 inches long) Considering you mention a wobble, I suspect they didn't and that is why the tire is falling off to the right.

Senior Member Mz handlebar turning/falling right after new tires installed?
    Bike: SV,NC,berg 570s
    In my experience, balancing motorcycle tires isn't done side to side. On a bike with a single front rotor, I'd expect the weights to be on the other side of the wheel (in this case the left side), but the amount of weight involved is small enough that I'd be awfully surprised at being able to tell as far as the bars flopping goes.
    12 NC700X
    11 FE570
    11 FS570
    15 450/520XCF SM

Junior Member Mz handlebar turning/falling right after new tires installed? Gaberloonzie's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X
    There's a LOT more weight on the right bar with your DCT model - fluid reservoir, brake lever, throttle.... I would be surprised if it didn't fall to the right.