Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 600 Mile Inspection Question

Bike: 2014 Honda NC700XE

600 Mile Inspection Question

Should the mechanic wait 24 hours after the engine is shut off before adjusting the valves? If they need adjusting? That was the case with my scooter, no mention of it in the Honda manual. Just want to make sure it gets done right. I'd do the inspection myself but the dealer told me that would void my warranty so I'll bring it in next week. Took me awhile to recover from hip surgery & now it's 100+ degrees so miles are coming slow. Can't wait until October.

Senior Member 600 Mile Inspection Question
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT, latest in a long line
    Yup, should be “room temperature” for the adjustment. But 600 miles...? And doing it yourself won’t void your warranty...

Iím supposed to respect my elders, but itís getting harder and harder for me to find one now ..

Senior Member 600 Mile Inspection Question dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Flee that dealer. He is unethical at best and a thief at worst.

There is no valve check or adjustment at the 600 mile service. It's an oil & filter(s) change, checking of chain tension and adjustment if needed, checking the brakes and the tightness of various nuts and bolts.

In the USA the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act frees the consumer from being required to take the vehicle to an authorized dealer for suggested maintenance items. If something did go wrong the manufacturer has the burden of proving neglect by the owner caused the problem.

First valve check at 16,000 miles and yes, the engine needs to be room temperature. I think the common service manual says 95 F or less.
    Last edited by dduelin; 9th August 2019 at 19:06.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: '18 NC750X
    After seeing this thread I had to go check my manual to be sure. For my 2018 the only 600 mile service is oil and filter. Valve adjustment isn't until 16,000.

I've heard of dealers say they could "void your warranty" but I don't think that's true, probably wouldn't hold up in court. Just save your dated receipts proving you bought oil and filters and maintenance parts.
    If you want to check the valves yourself there is at least one video showing how.

Do you still have a warranty on a 2014?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy99CL View Post
    After seeing this thread I had to go check my manual to be sure. For my 2018 the only 600 mile service is oil and filter. Valve adjustment isn't until 16,000.

I've heard of dealers say they could "void your warranty" but I don't think that's true, probably wouldn't hold up in court. Just save your dated receipts proving you bought oil and filters and maintenance parts.
    If you want to check the valves yourself there is at least one video showing how.

Do you still have a warranty on a 2014?
    Still have the warranty, got it new in May.

Good info everyone, thanks. He said they would check valve clearance but I'll ask him again because as mentioned here it's not due until 16K miles. If they say it's due at 600 & want a lot of money I'll show them my manual. Shows inspect at 16K. Will call Tuesday & get details. They're very busy tomorrow & closed Sunday & Monday. At 16K miles I'd do the valves myself. Looks easy. Did it on a few cars & my scooter. Already did an oil & filter change & coolant change since it's 5 years old, not sure if that was necessary but didn't want to wonder.

Bike: '18 NC750X
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan_Banjovy View Post
    Good info everyone, thanks. He said they would check valve clearance but I'll ask him again because as mentioned here it's not due until 16K miles. If they say it's due at 600 & want a lot of money I'll show them my manual. Shows inspect at 16K. Will call Tuesday & get details. They're very busy tomorrow & closed Sunday & Monday. At 16K miles I'd do the valves myself. Looks easy. Did it on a few cars & my scooter. Already did an oil & filter change & coolant change since it's 5 years old, not sure if that was necessary but didn't want to wonder.
    So you bought a used bike from a dealer and have his local warranty, not honored by American Honda? Or is your bike NOS???
    I agree with dduelin, that dealer is demanding that you pay him for an expensive, unnecessary check and threatening to void your warranty if you don't comply??? Screw that, get it in writing and inform American Honda. Scams like that (unnecessary work/charges) have been around since the first dealer 120 years ago.
    This isn't an innocent mistake, he has shown you his true colors and you need to find a different dealer.

Also, I'd change the brake fluid too.

Senior Member 600 Mile Inspection Question
    Bike: 2013 NC700x/w DCT
    The worst part of valve adj to me is draining the coolant because there isn't a convenient way to do it. I now use a clean, drain pan so am able to save & reuse most of the coolant and only have to add a little bit at the end to top off the reservoir. And it doesn't make too much of a mess on my bike lift!

I called & got a different answer this time. This time they said $180 & they don't check the valves. I guess it depends on who I speak to. I'll hold them to that when I bring it in Tuesday.

Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    I still wouldnít trust that dealer - at best heís completely incompetent, at worst a crook.

If youíve already done an oil and coolant change, why are you going in to the dealer for the 600 mile service? Thereís nothing else but checking some items. Keep your receipts and note the mileage on the oil change to support youíve done the required maintenance in case of a future warranty claim.

But run from that dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk