Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boosterplug now with practical experience

Bike: NC750XAD

Boosterplug now with practical experience

Yes I know this has been up before, and now it is up again :-)

I own the 750X DCT. I was a bit unhappy because in the D mode the DCT shifts to 6 gear at 63kmt, and at that speed I felt it was running uneven and not very smooth. Until now I have in the city run it in sport mode or constantly shifted down.

We have a local group of NC's and a lot of the guys is running with the Boosterplug and are very impressed with it. I was a bit skeptical and thought that this might be like "I think I can feel a difference but I am not sure" or "I feel a difference because I just spend 160USD and have to convince myself that this actually work". Well it was NOT like that.

I got it installed and it is day and night compare to stock. Especially when running with low revs is just runs so much smoother. I have now traveled a lot of km's and my conclusion is that I should for sure have done that mod from the very start. I am on my 3'rd NC and the 2 before that had the same "problem" in low revs. Well I now only run in D mode also in the city, and just enjoy the smooth ride.

Compared with the cheap resistor tuning on Ebay the Boosterplug is a temperature compensated fine tuned resistor telling the ECU that it is colder than it actually is, and therefor it runs richer.

Just for the record, there is a lot of skeptic writing about this sort of "tuning" and a lot of wise guys who have no practical experience, but only repeats other wise guys with no practical experience. NO the ECU will not over time discover that a boosterplug has been installed and revert to normal mixture, the ECU just think is running in cold conditions no magic here, and it do not "learn" anything. Also it will not transform to a Chevrolet Camaro.

Here is a link to Boosterplug: Detailed explanation on the BoosterPlug

I have NO shares in Boosterplug, but just want to share some practical experience and maybe other NC owners can benefit of this.

Senior Member Boosterplug now with practical experience
    Boosterplug now with practical experience

Bike: 2015 NC700X DCT, 2005 R1150R, 2011 R1200GS
    Good to hear. Thanks for the feedback.
    I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up.

Bike: '12 NC700XC
    Thanks for sharing your experience with the product, jangermann. I’m glad you’re happy with it!

Senior Member Boosterplug now with practical experience ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by jangermann View Post
    Boosterplug is a temperature compensated fine tuned resistor telling the ECU that it is colder than it actually is, and therefor it runs richer.
    What (if any) is the impact of the Boosterplug on fuel mileage?

TIA
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

For normal riding the fuel milage is the same. I have not noticed any change.
    I think the mixture is richer only at low rpm so I guess that with a lot of city driving there will be a slight increase.

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    Quote Originally Posted by jangermann View Post
    For normal riding the fuel milage is the same. I have not noticed any change.
    I think the mixture is richer only at low rpm so I guess that with a lot of city driving there will be a slight increase.
    The documentation says : BoosterPlug, you will get a 6% richer mixture regardless of the temperature conditions you're riding in.
    No mention of any ability to change mixture at low rpm or city driving.

Yes thats what the document says.
    And my practical experience is 28.3km/l on my last 300km with boosterplug installed. Same as before installing it.
    Therefor I think the ECU only use the input from the temperature sensor at low rpm but that only what I think and also make sence in my head.

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    No comment on your practical experiences so far.
    The ECU does not disregard the air temp sensor other than if it’s missing it uses a preset value. So it’s it not able to enrich across the temperature range by 6% and then revert to old mixture settings. Keep us posted on the long evaluation of the boostplug on the MPG.

The other choice is the 02 sensor is just trimming the mixture back to the ECU setting.

It would be fun to have several NC setup with and without the boostplug......then.........Have riders identify the bikes with the modifications.
    Last edited by showkey; 18th May 2019 at 07:15.

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    I went to their website and read the entire article/description/inner workings on the BoostPlug. What a great device. It is a benefit in may ways and looks like it would cure a lot of the little idiosynchronicities of our beloved bikes. Also noted, that when we, or the bike is in a level or constant throttle position the BoostPlug benefits are not needed thus allowing normal operations of the ECU return. Once the throttle position is even slightly changed, the BoostPlug instantly engagues and it's benefits return. It was a great read, my hat is off to it's developers, well done!

Now if they'll make one that squeezes every last vapor of fuel out of one for better mpg's...i'll buy that one!! :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

I have really NOT noticed that it use more fuel after installing the Boosterplug. If it does it is really not much. I still go 27-29km/l just like before.
    I can not discuss how the ECU is programed and when it uses the input from the sensor. I can only guess but dont have a clue 😊

But I can for sure tell that it works and it also works for all the other NC owners in our local group.