Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boosterplug now with practical experience

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    Quote Originally Posted by jangermann View Post

But I can for sure tell that it works and it also works for all the other NC owners in our local group.

The problem is the placebo effect is so strong after you drop $160 on a resistor and few connectors.
    There is long history of these devices over 20 years. These guys try to make theirs slightly different ( at least by explanation and some documentation) but........the independent testing of all these devices over many vehicle types is not great. That’s why the double blind test ride would be so interesting.

Does it bother anyone, just a little that every bike in their catalog gets the same treatment ?

The one that bothers me the most. The VFR1200X has a very sensitive throttle ( too responsive for some ) . The first benefit of the boostplug they list on VFR is the throttle response. The VFR sensitivity is NOT a mixture problem.

This not the first or last discussion on the air intake temperature sensor mod.

Bike: NC750XAD
    Placebo effect?? You mean the thing I descriped in my first post? Yes I was affraid it would come to this :-(

Showkey do you have practical experince regarding the booster plug?

Forget it. Im out of this tread.

Bike: NC700X
    This is an interesting topic!

While I haven't changed anything on my recently purchased 2014 700x, I have prior experience with the feel of "lean" running EPA compliant motorcycles from owning two Moto Guzzi's.

Both suffered from noticeable lite surging below 4000 rpm. They also tended to run on the hot side of normal. To correct this issue you could: 1. unplug the oxygen sensors and put the bike into an open loop condition, thus enriching the injection program. 2. A couple of suppliers sold resistors to install in the oxygen sensor electrical lines, thus signaling the computer that the bike was running too lean and richening up the injection sequence. 3. You could access the bikes computer through share-ware "free" software and adjust your bikes injection sequence (a dangerous move for the uninformed!). 4. (The safe and clean method) You could hook your bike up to your laptop and flash in a modified fuel injection MAP from a couple of independent developers who have developed fuel injection mapping profiles based upon the common changes people made to their bikes (exhaust, air breather systems, etc.) Huge difference in how the bike ran afterwards! Smoother, cooler, quicker and a minor decrease in fuel economy. The one thing these all did was turn off the low speed feedback information from the oxygen sensors, so the bikes no longer adjusted their fuel injection to a lean and hot running condition at lower RPM's and ran a little richer below 4000 RPM (which was in the closed loop rpm profile for MG's)

From what I can determine, the Booster Plug is basically doing the same thing with just more real-time temperature Information and not totally turning off the oxygen sensors. Since all modern bikes run the same lean conditions at lower RPM's, the same fix should work for all of them!
    Last edited by Spokane2303; 20th May 2019 at 08:56.

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    I'm wondering if there's any bias with the OP's promotion of this miracle plug. Says he owns no shares in the company, but that's an odd way to say you aren't affiliated. Maybe his review is legit. Product sounds too good to be true, which means it probably is. If it was legit, it certainly would be worth the money.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Senior Member Boosterplug now with practical experience dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    If it works by enriching the mixture then it will burn more fuel. No magic there.

If the "it's the same" mpg calculation mentioned is one or a few tanks or looking at the dash indicator then that is not very accurate. One must average across many tanks or get really methodical about calculating fuel burn to get meaningful data.

But in the end, so what? He says it works and fixes his problem. It's his money and his machine.

I take a cheaper approach and use D, S, and override with paddles as necessary if I feel the engine is uncomfortable under load of the moment.

These are only posted in jest and in recollection of times gone by:

Last edited by dduelin; 25th May 2019 at 11:08.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

I'm still in the learning phase, but wouldn't this product pretty much not work for the same reason a power commander/air filter/exhaust combo is said to not make much difference? Which would be design of engine components, specifically the head ports? If increasing fuel richness improves performance, you'd think that would be attainable via the traditional fuel/air mods like all other bikes. But it sure would be nice just paying $160 for the miracle plug vs buying exhaust, filter, and power commander.

I may end up buying one one day just to create a skeptic's review. Lol.

This reminds me of the TRE that was popular in my sportbike days. Supposedly timing was retarded below certain rpms in the first 4 gears, so installing a plug called the TRE (timing retard eliminator) was supposed to bypass that....all for $30. I put one on my bike, acted like it made a difference, and it may have....or it may have just been the psychology that creators of products such as that relied on for sales.

Last edited by TacomaJD; 25th May 2019 at 11:24.

Super Moderator Boosterplug now with practical experience 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaJD View Post
    I'm still in the learning phase, but wouldn't this product pretty much not work for the same reason a power commander/air filter/exhaust combo is said to not make much difference? Which would be design of engine components, specifically the head ports? If increasing fuel richness improves performance, you'd think that would be attainable via the traditional fuel/air mods like all other bikes. But it sure would be nice just paying $160 for the miracle plug vs buying exhaust, filter, and power commander.
    I get the impression that you are equating “performance” with power gain. I didn’t read the Boosterplug claims and I don’t care anyway but in my interpretation of this product, performance simply means having the engine run the way it’s supposed to. An example is that I bought a new 2017 carbureted Kawasaki dirt bike that stumbled and hesitated because it was too lean. I rejetted the carb and now it runs well. It has no more power than it did before, and I didn’t expect it to, but the engine now responds normally to throttle input.

So if you had a fueling problem with your 670 engine, maybe the Boosterplug could help. However, the 670 engines I own and all the others I’ve ridden all ran very well. It’s an answer to a problem I don’t have.
    Last edited by 670cc; 25th May 2019 at 13:08.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    I get the impression that you are equating ďperformanceĒ with power gain. I didnít read the Boosterplug claims and I donít care anyway but in my interpretation of this product, performance simply means having the engine run the way itís supposed to. An example is that I bought a new 2017 carbureted Kawasaki dirt bike that stumbled and hesitated because it was too lean. I rejetted the carb and now it runs well. It has no more power than it did before, and I didnít expect it to, but the engine now responds normally to throttle input.

So if you had a fueling problem with your 670 engine, maybe the Boosterplug could help. However, the 670 engines I own and all the others Iíve ridden all ran very well. Itís an answer to a problem I donít have.
    "Harder acceleration" lol. Sounds like its being churched up like it's a performance mod while being a "corrective mod" or whatever too. Idk, I would like to try one for free, just to see if I can tell a difference.

Super Moderator Boosterplug now with practical experience 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Thanks for posting Boosterplug’s pitch for their product. After reading that, I’m absolutely certain now that I don’t need or want a Boosterplug. Generic claims like that which conveniently cover all the bases are just huge red flags.
    Last edited by 670cc; 25th May 2019 at 14:17.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    Generic claims like that which conveniently cover all the bases are just huge red flags.
    My thoughts exactly. Lol