Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Oil filters for 700/ 750 different?

  1. #11
    Senior Member Oil filters for 700/ 750 different? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North FL USA
    Posts
    3,736
    Quote Originally Posted by MZ5 View Post
    I use the same filter on my Honda Ridgeline pickup as I do on my NCX, but I do _not_ use Hondaís branded filter. They filter about as well as a 200-mesh sieve (exaggerating for comedic purposes), which is a waste of time and money. There are a myriad of SAE publications which demonstrate that cleaner (better-filtered) engine oil results in significantly lower wear, and I have data from my own NCX to show the cleanliness improvement over even new oil that I get from using good filters.
    Of course, why use that crap Honda filter if you expect to get to a million miles without significant oil burnoff and loss of compression? Everyone knows Honda's reputation for long service life and it's a wonder who they fooled on the way to building a 70 year old reputation selling that crap stuff. In my driveway we've had an Accord that went 260,000 miles, a Civic with 199,000 miles, two CR-Vs @268,000 and 222,000 miles, an ST1300 with 180,000 miles ( that POS developed more dyno horsepower and torque at 158,000 miles than it had at 44,000 and all but one of it's 36 oil filters a crap Honda filter! ) and others that were traded before high mileage. One of the CR-Vs and the Civic were wrecked but the others I sold or traded still running great. I didn't include the 62,000 miles on the NCs. Never an issue in any of these vehicles with oil burning or loss of compression but that's only 1.167 million miles and I'm only one Honda driving family. They probably aren't any others like me, well maybe this guy with 600,000 miles on his Honda and usually serviced at a Honda dealership, oh the horror, 600k on crap Honda OEM filters. The 600,000 Mile Man | Honda World Blog

    Sarcasm aside, how much better than Honda's specification does a filter have to be to be better than Honda's hard won history shows OEM to be?
    Dave

    GL1800
    NC700XD




  2. #12
    Senior Member rippin209's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    Of course, why use that crap Honda filter if you expect to get to a million miles without significant oil burnoff and loss of compression? Everyone knows Honda's reputation for long service life and it's a wonder who they fooled on the way to building a 70 year old reputation selling that crap stuff. In my driveway we've had an Accord that went 260,000 miles, a Civic with 199,000 miles, two CR-Vs @268,000 and 222,000 miles, an ST1300 with 180,000 miles ( that POS developed more dyno horsepower and torque at 158,000 miles than it had at 44,000 and all but one of it's 36 oil filters a crap Honda filter! ) and others that were traded before high mileage. One of the CR-Vs and the Civic were wrecked but the others I sold or traded still running great. I didn't include the 62,000 miles on the NCs. Never an issue in any of these vehicles with oil burning or loss of compression but that's only 1.167 million miles and I'm only one Honda driving family. They probably aren't any others like me, well maybe this guy with 600,000 miles on his Honda and usually serviced at a Honda dealership, oh the horror, 600k on crap Honda OEM filters. The 600,000 Mile Man | Honda World Blog

    Sarcasm aside, how much better than Honda's specification does a filter have to be to be better than Honda's hard won history shows OEM to be?
    If I can get the same quality for less money that's an improvement, or it's simple convenience. The town I live in has 45,000 to 50,000 people but nowhere within 45 minutes from my house sell Honda brand filters, both of those small hurdles are overcome by preparation.
    I've seen some good deals when buying in bulk online

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Bike: '12 NC700XC
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,517
    Dave, that post is a veritable cornucopia of non sequiturs and strawmen.

    -Honda's filters filter extremely poorly (among the worst in the industry).
    -Significant amounts of research prove that better filtration leads to better durability (longevity).
    -Honda charges _more_ than the alternatives for their deficient performance in this particular part.

    These are simple facts. If you have _other_ reasons for wanting to give the dealer or American Honda more money, fine. Just don't confuse yourself or anyone else here that it's because the Honda part in this particular case is in any sense 'better.' It very simply is not.

  4. #14
    Super Moderator Oil filters for 700/ 750 different? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,548
    Filters being as they may, I propose that you could run the NC for a couple hundred thousand miles with no oil filter. Just install a bypass. I have no proof, test results, experience, or data to back that up but my gut feel is that we are more concerned with filter design and performance than we need to be.

    Of the 7 motorcycles/scooters I have, 3 of them have no oil filter except for one having a very coarse wire screen. In addition, I have a 1984 Honda push mower now beginning it’s 36th reliable year of use and it’s engine has no oil filter by design. So, I don’t get too worried about oil filters. I buy a reasonably priced one from a reputable brand and move on.
    Last edited by 670cc; 15th March 2019 at 06:48.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

    NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

  5. #15
    Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wausau WI
    Posts
    1,721
    Those Honda filters are “so bad”........Honda says your suppose to change the filter every other oil change. That recommendation goes for motorcycle and automotive products.

    Just maybe they know something ........the general public does not know. If it was money grab issue ........they would be replacing the filter twice as often.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Bike: '12 NC700XC
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,517
    Anyone can buy SAE papers if they actually want to know what they're talking about. Everyone gets to pick for themselves.

    Greg, I think that's a reasonable strategy... which would result in never buying Honda filters. (-;

  7. #17
    Senior Member Oil filters for 700/ 750 different? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North FL USA
    Posts
    3,736
    Quote Originally Posted by MZ5 View Post
    Anyone can buy SAE papers if they actually want to know what they're talking about. Everyone gets to pick for themselves.

    Greg, I think that's a reasonable strategy... which would result in never buying Honda filters. (-;
    Sure, cleaner oil is better than dirty oil. Nobody is arguing with that but in the case of your Honda NC700X or Ridgeline, just what does saving $3 a filter actually get you?

    Does the engine last longer? Fewer repairs? Something, anything?
    Dave

    GL1800
    NC700XD




  8. #18
    Super Moderator Oil filters for 700/ 750 different? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,548
    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    Sure, cleaner oil is better than dirty oil. Nobody is arguing with that but in the case of your Honda NC700X or Ridgeline, just what does saving $3 a filter actually get you?

    Does the engine last longer? Fewer repairs? Something, anything?
    That's the thing. I/we don't know the negative effects of using certain oil types, oil filters, oil change interval habits, etc, because at least in my world and what I see in many other people's worlds, engines don't wear out or fail mechanically. I've driven and ridden vehicles collectively over 1.3 million miles. I have been running dozens of gasoline and one Diesel engine here and there for over the course of almost 50 years and none of them ever wore out. I sold them before they wore out, or I still have them and they have yet to wear out. So until there is evidence that I have reached some threshold where failure might actually occur, I'm beginning to think I am over maintaining many of these machines, or at least maintaining them adequately with no reason to invest any more money/time in them than I am.

    Would an OEM filter vs an aftermarket filter prevent an engine failure before I've grown tired of the machine and sold or disposed of it anyway? I don't know. I have no engine failure experience to draw upon. So for the time being I’ll treat them as equally acceptable and not put any more thought into it. Price and availability will most likely be the deciding factors.
    Last edited by 670cc; 16th March 2019 at 19:52.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

    NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

  9. #19
    Senior Member Jt105's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    238
    I typically use auto filters on both my bikes because it is the same one for my CR-V and my sonís Civic.
    I have a Honda OEM filter on my NC only because I happened to be at the dealership and picked it up along with some drain plug washers. Otherwise I usually take advantage of Mobil1 oil and filter mail-in rebates or local stores oil + filter coupons.

    Now that I think about it. My two current bikes are the only bikes Iíve ever owned that even had an oil filter. All my other ones did not.

    JT

  10. #20
    Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wausau WI
    Posts
    1,721
    With any luck..........spring is here soon ( for some of us) ...........may be riding by the end of the week ?

    So we get riding and stop talking about dip sticks and oil filters.

Similar Threads

  1. Air filters Emgo versus Hi Flo?
    By MattKas in forum NC700 Technical
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 31st August 2018, 11:07
  2. Air Filter Change, How much do the air filters Cost?
    By westgl in forum NC700 Technical
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 15th May 2017, 18:19
  3. NuShield Anti-glare Filters
    By kpinvt in forum NC700 Mods
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 8th November 2015, 16:16
  4. oil filters
    By Oldenuf in forum NC700 Technical
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17th October 2012, 06:12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •