Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dragging in first gear

Bike: NC700X

Dragging in first gear

Hi folks. New owner of a 2013 nc700x and new member on this forum. I notice when I pull the clutch while coasting to a stop in first gear there is a drag on the motorcycle. At first I thought it was the brakes dragging but the rotors are cool. I don't notice it while drifting in second or third but first definitely has a drag. Any ideas on what this could be?

Senior Member Dragging in first gear
    Dragging in first gear
    Bike: 2013 NC700x/w DCT
    Is the clutch freeplay adjusted correctly?

Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A
    Is the “drag” trying to slow you down while coasting? Or is it trying to pull forward when stopped?

JT

The drag slows the bike. No foreward pull at stops. Clutch free play is ample. Also hard to find neutral. Jumps from 1 to 2 & 2 to 1 like the clutch is not disengaging fully but there is not "that" much freeplay. Otherwise shifts fine.

Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A
    Have you tried spinning the wheel by hand?
    #1 - Turn off the engine. For safety, don’t mess around with the engine running.

Put the bike on the center stand and manually rotate the rear tire in neutral.
    Then have a friend hold the clutch while you shift into 1st and manually rotate the rear tire.
    Do this in different gears. What does the ‘drag’ feel like in different gears? Do you hear any strange sounds?

When ‘in gear’ you will be spinning the internal transmission. It will spin the internals faster when in 1st (largest gear reduction) and should have a little more drag than 2nd gear or higher.

At what speed do you downshift into 1st gear? Typically for me it is below 5 or 10 mph. At that point I don’t feel much drag at all. If you are going faster than that, you will really be spinning those transmission gears and clutch plates at high speeds and that could cause more drag.

JT

Member Dragging in first gear New Commuter700's Avatar
    I agree with Jt, but I would add that if what is happening is you are dropping it into 1st from 40 mph you could do damage to your bike.

https://tinkergr.wixsite.com/website

Super Moderator Dragging in first gear 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Has the chain tension been checked? I recommend setting it to the very loose end of spec. If a dealer made the chain adjustment, I'd assume they set it too tight. A tight chain (or even a bad rear wheel bearing) could cause some drag.

What viscosity oil is in the engine/transmission? Could it be too thick? Honda recommends 10w-30 or 10w-40. Does the problem improve when the oil is warmed up? Cold oil makes for more clutch drag.
    Last edited by 670cc; 11th February 2019 at 21:26.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    Has the chain tension been checked? I recommend setting it to the very loose end of spec. If a dealer made the chain adjustment, I'd assume they set it too tight. A tight chain (or a even bad rear wheel bearing) could cause some drag.

What viscosity oil is in the engine/transmission? Could it be too thick? Honda recommends 10w-30 or 10w-40. Does the problem improve when the oil is warmed up? Cold oil makes for more clutch drag.
    Good recommendations being posted on here.
    It seems like most problems posted on here are fixed by checking your battery connection or chain tension Dragging in first gear
    It's funny but true.
    Old, cold or too thick of oil does make a noticeable difference.

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    Agree with post #7 ...........other things to check:
    Clutch free play ample ? Too much more than spec would cause poor disengagement. Same for aftermarket clutch lever or aftermarket fat grips.

New owner of 2013 ......used bike ? Mileage ?

Bike: X-Adventure, Suzuki VStrom 1000ABS, 1989 Honda Dominator, CRF250L
    I am also in agreement with post 7 particularly in relation to oil viscosity.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.