Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dragging in first gear

Super Moderator Dragging in first gear 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Since there is no standard or specifications for clutch actuator bumping, and I can’t access your bike to see how yours behaves, it may be futile to try to make comparisons via the internet. My NC is 850 miles away from me at the moment, so unfortunately I won’t be able to sample it soon.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    Quote Originally Posted by xcruiser View Post
    After studying the exploded view in the service manual I see what is going on now. I made a colored version to help my brain grasp this and will try to post it here. It looks like the bearing would be an easy replace. Not exactly sure how that shaft engages the bearing as the service manual is not clear. There must be a cam on it that pushes on the bearing. Did you get a chance to check yours and see if you feel the bumping that I do when pushing the lever by hand or is yours smooth? If anyone can check their's and report back that would be a great help. Ok I can not find an option to post an image. How are you guys doing that?
    Link to FAQ “how to insert photo”

https://www.nc700-forum.com/forum/fa...b3_attachments

Photo insert icon.......
    Dragging in first gear-cadc5c5a-1dcd-429a-b6dd-d2ea8eee68cf-jpg
    Last edited by showkey; 28th February 2019 at 13:46.

Bike: NC700X
    Thanks for that. Here goes.
    Attached Images Attached Images Dragging in first gear-clutch-edit-color-jpg 

Super Moderator Dragging in first gear 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by xcruiser View Post
    Well if the cold oil moves your bike at start it should also drag some coasting in first engine at idle rpm's because the transmission input shaft is spinning faster than the engine. The slight coupling of the clutch plates due to oil viscosity is causing this. After feeling the uneven bumping of the clutch lever when moving it by hand, I'm really more concerned about that at this point. Wondering if yours does that when you move the lever in the direction of clutch disengagement as far as you can by hand. Mine bumps my thumb and seems excessive.
    For what it’s worth, I took my NC, running in neutral, and moved the clutch actuator on the right side engine cover by hand. At the point of engagement, it “bumps.” My interpretation of this feeling is that it bumps in coincidence with engine power pulses. Since the engine runs smoothly on this bike, and the clutch works fine, I find this observation insignificant and “normal.”
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250