Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: DCT Issue

Bike: SH150i, CTX700ND
    Quote Originally Posted by telecam View Post
    ...It's interesting that the issue seems to fix itself ...
    No, this is random. All shifting mechanism is momentarily misaligned. This could be because of loose shifter pin, but it can be something else. They have to diagnose it. If they are certified Honda repair shop, they must have Honda's MCS (Motorcycle Communication System). Service manual describes how to use it - that's for us. But, hopefully, their technicians been trained by Honda, right?

Bike: 2017 Honda NC750X DCT
    and if they cannot and you complain through Honda then I believe you will see results because they sure jumped on my issue when I complained almost as if they can lose their certification if there are unresolved cases - this is a wild assumption but as I said, I saw results immediately.

Senior Member DCT Issue telecam's Avatar
    Bike: Honda NC700X DCT Red
    Update #4: Dealer picked up the bike from my house. I am told repair will be expedited.

Update #5: Dealer called and said it could be the oil... I really don't think so. I did the oil change at 3,800 mi and used recommended Honda NG4 10W-30SJ oil and oem filters. That is well within the recommended maintenance schedule which calls for oil/filter changes every 8K. Bike now has 6,290 mi.

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    Oh boy..........this does not sound good. It’s not the oil !!

Sounds a lot more like the shifter pin is loose.
    Ask the dealer to call Honda for technical assistance. The shifter pin is a known issue.........your bike has all the symptoms.

Super Moderator DCT Issue 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by telecam View Post
    Update #5: Dealer called and said it could be the oil... I really don't think so. I did the oil change at 3,800 mi and used recommended Honda NG4 10W-30SJ oil and oem filters. That is well within the recommended maintenance schedule which calls for oil/filter changes every 8K. Bike now has 6,290 mi.
    Bwahahaha! “Could be the oil.” LOL!

This dealer sounds incapable of troubleshooting complex problems.

Dealer: “Let’s see, it has gas, it has oil, the battery is new. Geez, I don’t know, . . . maybe we could ask Honda “
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: 2001 CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird, 2007 ST 1300, 84 Standard Goldwing.
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    Itís quite common for a service tech to use a common remedy (easy way out) at first pass, because most of the time they will be right, anyway. What happens next at this dealer, now that the easy stuff is ruled out, will test their mettle. If no positive results are achieved on the second try, then contact Honda or a different dealer.

I realize the following is probably not a very helpful comment to the person with the DCT problem, and I realize also that people in general have many different skills and talents, mechanics possibly not being one of them. Or maybe they donít have the time or place to do the work. All fine. But, THIS situation is why I learn all I can about the machine, buy the service manual, and do all my own service work. If I had to rely on someone else to fix my motorcycles, Iíd get so frustrated Iíd go find a different hobby.
    And a much bigger wallet would be needed to pull much dinero from and hand it to the dealer.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

DCT Clutch Calibration

Update #6: Dealer emailed today saying bike was fixed and mechanic will call me between 10A and 10:30A to discussed his findings. He did... On the first test ride they took, bike worked fine. Then, one of his co-workers rode it and experienced the shifting problem. He explained that the DCT reset may not have gone through correctly after they changed the battery. They reset the DCT a couple times (DD-N-D-N...), he said he rode the bike 30 minutes and gave it ample time to warm up and that everything worked fine. I picked it up, paid an additional $180 for trouble shooting (to be fair, they did not charge me for towing the bike back to their shop from my home....). Rode 6 miles, about 15 minutes and shifting issue came up again. Shifting got stuck on whatever gear I was when it happened (2 or 3), no up or downshifting possible in any mode (S, D or manual), dash flashing instead of gear number in LCD shifting indicator. Rode back to shop on the same gear at 25mph. They are refunding the last repair charge, changing oil and filter tomorrow and calling Honda tech to get help. I also filed a case with Honda customer support. TBC.
    Last edited by telecam; 16th August 2018 at 19:15.

Super Moderator DCT Issue 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Whisper in the dealer’s ear, “shifter pin, shifter pin, shifter pin . . . “

On the other hand, would you want this dealer disassembling the right side of the engine?
    Last edited by 670cc; 14th August 2018 at 16:57.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

I sent them links to various forum threads I found on the shifter pin issues. They thank me for it but donít seem to have investigate it further. Now, I am curious.... how come the bike shifts fine for 5 or 6 miles after a successful DCT reset? If the shifter pin was broken, a DCT reset wouldnít matter no? And yes, I donít want those guys to take it appart until they talk to Honda which is supposed to happen tmrw. Thx for your support