Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprocket change?

Bike: several

Sprocket change?

Has anyone changed the counter shaft sprocket up 1 tooth or rear sprocket 2 or 3 teeth smaller to lower the cruise rpm? If so what mileage gains did you see? My guess is this bike riden conservatively could reach 80+ MPG which is great for this size bike!!

Senior Member Sprocket change? duk2n's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X ABS
    Excuse me... "to lower the cruise rpm"????? Even more???? OMG
    -JL-

Maņo a mucha honra

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    i guarantee you honda has worked very hard on this model to give optimal power, fuel mileage and engine reliabilty with the stock gearing.

Super Moderator Sprocket change? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Be aware that changing the sprockets on the NC700X will alter the accuracy of the speedometer.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Senior Member Sprocket change?
    Sprocket change?
    Bike: 2012 NC700X Manual non ABS (07/27/12)
    I think riding discipline is the best way to achieve the best fuel mileage. 80 mpg has already been done and so has 90 mpg. That was with stock sprockets too.
    When I get in my fuel mileage mode, which is in the warmer months, I get close to 80 mpg.
    There are a few guys on this board that are very impressive with there ability to get great mileage.
    Want to see what there getting?

670cc
    NancyX (Honda NC700X) | Fuelly

N97972

N97972 (Honda NC700X) | Fuelly

Dave can get some impressive numbers also.
    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    I don not have the inclination to document MPG on Fuelly but I have been keeping track of receipts as far to get a feel for real-world tank range. From the beginning I was getting mid-60 MPG in the USA using 89 Octane 10% ethanol. I have passed 1,400 miles and now I am using regular grade 87 octane E10. My riding style would be "Spirited". I ride for pleasure on open rural roads with posted speeds of 45 to 60 mph for the most part. Now I am getting low to mid 70 MPG. Today I picked a road I could ride a constant 50 mph with no stops for about 30 miles. I achieved 90.0375 US miles per gallon.

Bike: several
    I have changed sprockets on dozens of bikes of all brands and most get better mileage after the change, based on my 39 years of riding experience i would bet this bike would see better mileage with taller gearing. This is a low rpm torgue engine....lower rpm means better mileage. Lower speeds mean better mileage based on lower rpm and wind drag....i have done lots of experiments with this and detailed mileage records over a period of years and thousands of miles. Taller gearing works!!!

I guess no one has done this......yet!

Bike: nc700x
    I asked about a diffrent sprocket at the dealer and they said Honda sent out a service bulletin saying "NOT" to change the gearing. I really don't see what it would hurt on the manuel model except the the speedometer.

Bike: 2012 honda nc700s
    I'm going the opposite way by going up 1 or 2 in the rear so i can get a little punch off the line and out of corners. This bike will always be good on fuel unless ya flog the thing to death. I'm a big fella so this change will make it a little easier on the engine......

Supporting Vendor

Sprocket change?
    Sprocket change?
    Sprocket change?
    Bike: NC700X nc700xd
    I must have missed that bulletin, only one i have seen is to not change rear spring preload. on a x model should not hurt anything, as long as you do not lug it to much.. im sure speedo healer will come out with a unit to adjust the input to the speedo. up one tooth on the front make sure it clears everything in the front cover, may need a longer chain?? down more than two could put chain in contact with swing arm at pivot, on top and bottom and rub when topped out or completely compressed. dale

Senior Member Sprocket change? duk2n's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X ABS
    Quote Originally Posted by HONDABIKEPRO View Post
    only one i have seen is to not change rear spring preload. on a x model should not hurt anything, as long as you do not lug it to much
    Dale, could you elaborate, please? I'm interested in this one as I carry passenger and luggage very often...
    -JL-

Maņo a mucha honra