Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: More wiring trouble for aux lights

Senior Member More wiring trouble for aux lights superdedooperman's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 Red Honda NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by lootzyan View Post
    Very unusual.
    Did you try to connect this new set of lights directly to a battery? This can be any car or truck 12 V battery.
    Sure did. Connected them to the battery on the bike. Both lights. Then, reversed the polarity to see if the wiring on the bad light was backwards. It was a no go. This is crazy

Bike: NC750XD
    Bad luck. Ordered 4 of these Chinese low cost, all OK.

Bike: NC750S DCT
    OK - simple instructions:

1. get a 12 volt battery or a known 12 volt live source from your bike (straight off the battery will do)
    2. Temporarily connect it to your Aux Lights to check that they work
    3. In the absence of a multimeter, get yourself a 12 volt bulb (indicator, stop + tail.....) and tag a couple of wires to it
    4, Use the bulb wires to confirm that your Aux socket is 12v with the ignition on. This test will NOT confirm polarity

A multimeter will cost you less than a packet of smokes and if you only ever use it for 12v and as a continuity beeper, it will have been well worth it

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Tim View Post
    OK - simple instructions:

1. get a 12 volt battery or a known 12 volt live source from your bike (straight off the battery will do)
    2. Temporarily connect it to your Aux Lights to check that they work
    3. In the absence of a multimeter, get yourself a 12 volt bulb (indicator, stop + tail.....) and tag a couple of wires to it
    4, Use the bulb wires to confirm that your Aux socket is 12v with the ignition on. This test will NOT confirm polarity

A multimeter will cost you less than a packet of smokes and if you only ever use it for 12v and as a continuity beeper, it will have been well worth it
    My aux connection on the sub harness is 12 volt. I bought a multimeter last week to check. However, I was not using the sub harness to check the lights. I connected some test leads directly to the battery to check each light. The first one worked, but the second one did not.

To clarify, when I say I reversed the polarity, all I did was connect the red battery lead to the black of the light and vice versa. Just in case they wired the light itself up backwards. Was trying anything in hopes the light would indeed work. Sorry if my terminology is off, this is by no means an area of expertise to me!

Senior Member More wiring trouble for aux lights MalcolmReynolds's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700X
    superdedooperman, Did you get your lights replaced and figure out how to get them working with your harness? I would love to know what you did as I plan to do the same thing soon using the OEM harness and some 110 connectors. So I would like to know what you came up with and how you wired it.

Quote Originally Posted by MalcolmReynolds View Post
    superdedooperman, Did you get your lights replaced and figure out how to get them working with your harness? I would love to know what you did as I plan to do the same thing soon using the OEM harness and some 110 connectors. So I would like to know what you came up with and how you wired it.
    I sure did! I used the 110 connectors to connect to the sub harness. Ran that wire to the closest light and split from it to run the wire to the other side of the bike to connect to the other light. Just to keep from using more than one connector on the sub harness. I soldered and shrink wrapped all connections from wire to wire. Ran the wires along other wire routes on the bike. I just bought a role of 18 gauge wire from Walmart and used it for all my wiring. It was red wire but I wrapped black electrical tape around the ends of the “black” to black connections. It looks nice and clean and I love how the lights look! I’ll be posting pictures of my set up (along with other farkles) in the future once I have my bike where I want it for now.

I’ll be happy to help you if you had any specific questions. Just take your time and it’ll come out nice!

Bike: 2016 Honda NC700X ABS DCT, 2015 BMW K1600 GTLE
    It does not matter where the lights are made. What matters is if the manufacturer is certified to ISO 9000 which gives some assurance that they have a quality system in place and they can make the product with minimal fall out.