Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, daughter hit the kill switch on NC700XD

Bike: 2001 CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird, 2007 ST 1300, 84 Standard Goldwing.

Help, daughter hit the kill switch on NC700XD

I am on vacation 2000 miles away and got a text...Dad, my bike just died and I was able to roll into a friend's driveway. Oil light came up and it won't turn over.
    So, I asked her was the red kill switch on. Yes.
    She tried to start it and she said it made a clicking noise and it said it was in 4th gear still.
    Called my local dealer and he said it should have gone to neutral. He had never heard of rhis happening before. Then he thought the same thing that I did. Turn the key on press manual then try hitting the down shift button. She will try this tonight after work. Does it have to be moving? I thought that I read on the forum that someone had this problem once? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Guy

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 1wiseguy2; 22nd June 2017 at 10:07.

Senior Member Help, daughter hit the kill switch on NC700XD dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Just like stopping a manual transmission bike in 6th it's impossible to shift it to neutral without rocking it back and forth slightly to allow the dogs on the gears to line up and engage/disengage. Try turning the key ON then rocking the bike a little forward and back to help the shift motor downshift to N.

Bike: SH150i, CTX700ND
    Do not turn ignition key on when rocking the bike. This can only make things worse. Battery gets very quickly discharged.
    Do not try to start engine too often. Take more time before next attempt (10 min). Battery needs to regain part of lost energy.
    If your daughter can reach and disconnect headlight (or pull out fuse - #10?) before turning on ignition key.
    Or just put a battery on charger for couple hours.
    Last edited by lootzyan; 22nd June 2017 at 11:15.

Senior Member Help, daughter hit the kill switch on NC700XD dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    I takes maybe 30 seconds for the transmission to make the downshifts necessary to reach N and without the key ON it makes not a single one of them. If your battery won't last 30 seconds your problem is far worse than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    I takes maybe 30 seconds for the transmission to make the downshifts necessary to reach N and without the key ON it makes not a single one of them. If your battery won't last 30 seconds your problem is far worse than you think.
    If battery has enough energy, I think that it should take DCT less than 2 sec. to shift gears to initial position (from 4th to 2nd and from 5th or 3rd to Neutral).
    In my 2 year old battery voltage dropped from 12.92 to 12.3 in 30 sec. (to 12.4 in first 15 sec.) But because DCT was already in neutral, shift motor didn't start, so voltage didn't drop further.
    For the last 5 years we had many reports here of DCT being stuck in the gear. I had this once after playing multiple times with kill switch. We know now that most of the time weak(er) battery is to blame. Or, more precisely, problem is with Honda's poor design of DCT shifting mechanism - Shift Control Motor requires too much energy to operate or battery should be of higher capacity.
    This should be already safety issue.
    BTW, owner's manual advises: "Turn the ignition switch to OFF and move the motorcycle back and forth slightly (to disengage the gears").

Senior Member Help, daughter hit the kill switch on NC700XD
    Help, daughter hit the kill switch on NC700XD
    Bike: 2013 NC700x/w DCT
    If someone can help her roll the bike forward at a walking speed or rock it back-and-forth, it makes it easier for the mechanism to downshift to N, then the engine can be started.

I did this by mistake the first week I had my DCT bike. Fiddling with something on the right side while riding, I accidentally hit the engine stop switch. I was in 6th gear at the time and at first couldn't figure why it died, then noticed the Engine Stop Switch in the OFF position. If I had the smarts then, I should have pressed the downshift button while the bike was rolling to a stop. I eventually got it to downshift to N, one gear at a time, by rocking the bike back-and-forth.

As DDualin said, if the battery can't do this simple task you have other problems!

Senior Member Help, daughter hit the kill switch on NC700XD Nofear2trek's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700XD
    Usually on my 50ft liveaboard (tiny house) yacht tied up in Oregon, but also Space-A alot to SE Asia
    Have her start the engine. If it is not in neutral when she turns on the ignition, apply the front brake (pull the lever) while pressing the starter button. The brake overrides the safety feature of the trans not being in neutral, after the engine starts it should downshift to 1st on its own.

Ray

Life is Wonderful, if it isn't you may be doing it Wrong!

18 centuries of the choice, 'believe this way or die', & always chosen life, is a lineage difficult to separate from. I understand. But do not fear my belief science created the universe, I'll never say "Big Bang's Will" made me do you harm. We are a genuinely free & peaceful lot.

Senior Member Help, daughter hit the kill switch on NC700XD sumo's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC750X DCT ABS
    Quote Originally Posted by Nofear2trek View Post
    Have her start the engine. If it is not in neutral when she turns on the ignition, apply the front brake (pull the lever) while pressing the starter button. The brake overrides the safety feature of the trans not being in neutral, after the engine starts it should downshift to 1st on its own.

Ray
    Well I never heard this one before, so I had to try it.

This afternoon in sixth gear I hit the kill switch and for good measure set the ignition key to the off position. I rolled to a stop, put the kill switch back into the run position and turned on the ignition. The display came on indicating I was in sixth gear and pressing the start switch did not start the bike but when I held the front brake and tried again it started right up. Within two seconds I heard clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk, clunk it was in first and ready to go.

Thanks Ray this is good to know. Is this new for the 2016 model or does this trick work on all DCT's back to 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by Nofear2trek View Post

... apply the front brake (pull the lever) while pressing the starter button. The brake overrides the safety feature of the trans not being in neutral...
    Where does it come from?
    When bike is stationary, PCM knows nothing whether brakes are applied or not.
    And what "the safety feature" are overridden when kill switch is set to run...?

Senior Member Help, daughter hit the kill switch on NC700XD Nofear2trek's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700XD
    Usually on my 50ft liveaboard (tiny house) yacht tied up in Oregon, but also Space-A alot to SE Asia
    Quote Originally Posted by lootzyan View Post
    Where does it come from?
    It was explained to me by a Honda tech. I don't know why it works, but it does. Also, I'm not sure about all model years or if it also works with other Honda models with DCT.

Ray
    Last edited by Nofear2trek; 23rd June 2017 at 18:55.

Life is Wonderful, if it isn't you may be doing it Wrong!

18 centuries of the choice, 'believe this way or die', & always chosen life, is a lineage difficult to separate from. I understand. But do not fear my belief science created the universe, I'll never say "Big Bang's Will" made me do you harm. We are a genuinely free & peaceful lot.