Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad DCT clutch?

Bike: NC700XD

Bad DCT clutch?

NC700XD, 18,000 miles, new battery, 10W40 mineral oil - starting this spring, DCT would not go into neutral on startups immediately after long rides. Rocking didn't help, only cooling down helped. Also, if, after not going into neutral on startup, I held in the brake and started in 2nd gear and rode for a minute or 2 at about 30 mph, it would start in neutral (likely from air cooling the engine). Now this weekend, after riding for awhile, coming to a stop the DCT would slip out of gear and the gear indicator box with a dash would flash. Also, 1st gear would slip just prior to the flashing dash. 5th gear slipped also during my long ride.

Thoughts? Bad clutch(s), running too hot? Help!

Super Moderator Bad DCT clutch? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, Ruckus 50, KLX140L
    Would you say it's the odd gears that are misbehaving, but the even gears are OK?
    Greg
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX

Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    Would you say it's the odd gears that are misbehaving, but the even gears are OK?
    Yes, could be the 1-3-5 clutch. 1st has slipped several times, 5th only once. I don't recall 2-4-6 slipping.

Bike: 2016 NC750X DCT
    Two nit-picking points- You should going into neutral before shutting down the engine (according to the owner's manual) and Honda specs JASO MA oil (which is for wet clutches), so if you're using 'regular' 10w40 I would try the Honda spec'ed stuff.
    Last edited by HarveyM; 19th June 2017 at 14:06.

Senior Member Bad DCT clutch? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    If I'm not mistaken the DCT monitors oil pressure and oil temperature. Low oil level could trigger both diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) preventing normal transmission operation but the dash should show a flashing code like LP or something. Sorry, I'm at work and far from the owners manual.

The second thing mentioned baffles me. The DCT should never be able to shift to 2nd without starting in first. It should never be able to start in 2nd gear. Please elaborate on this.

After trying to start, I get 7 short flashed and 4 long ones, which if I'm reading this right is an EOP voltage DTC. Has anybody had EOP issues on their DCT?

Senior Member Bad DCT clutch?
    Bike: 2014 NC700 dct
    I would start by checking oil level, and making sure you are using the correct oil design for the DCT.

Bike: 2017 Honda NC750X DCT
    Not trying to be rude but why would you put oil that is not called for in your DCT ? If you honestly didn't know you're forgiven but even then you should always do your research

I think correct oil is needed to make these gears work correctly

Super Moderator Bad DCT clutch? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, Ruckus 50, KLX140L
    Quote Originally Posted by rmezei View Post
    Not trying to be rude but why would you put oil that is not called for in your DCT ? If you honestly didn't know you're forgiven but even then you should always do your research

I think correct oil is needed to make these gears work correctly
    I looked through the thread, but so far I don't see a basis for this assumption that the incorrect oil type was used. The OP stated that 10W-40 mineral oil was used. Other details about the oil type were not disclosed, but 10W-40 mineral oil can be totally acceptable if it meets the API and JASO ratings specified by Honda. SAE 10W-40 falls within the specified viscosity range listed in the Honda service manual.

As a side note, although my NC700Xs are not DCT, I do use 10W-40 mineral oil and it meets Honda NC700X service manual specs.
    Last edited by 670cc; 21st June 2017 at 06:18.
    Greg
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX

Senior Member Bad DCT clutch? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    What is the oil level and are you confident that you can check the oil level? These are dumb questions on my part but I'm not looking at the bike with my own eyes and taking nothing for granted.

Do you have access to a Honda service manual to accurately decode the DTC blink sequence? EOP trouble codes are of course related to engine oil level and oil pressure. It could be low oil level, a faulty oil pump, a bad OP sensor or just a loose or wonky electrical connection to the OP sensor. I'm not sure but I think low oil pressure should have triggered the dash light for oil pressure and possibly the check engine light while the bike was riding along. If oil level is good and those lights did not come on when riding I would begin to think circuits to/from or the sensor(s) are where to start and the DTC code indictates what components to check out.
    Dave

ST1300
    NC700XD
    CH80