Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Bad DCT clutch?

  1. #21
    Senior Member Bad DCT clutch? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North FL USA
    Posts
    3,244
    Quote Originally Posted by rmezei View Post
    this is very valuable to know... great information... can you or someone tell me where are those sensors located? would be good to know.
    They are located on the right side of the engine under that bolted on plastic cover.

  2. #22
    Senior Member rmezei's Avatar
    Bike: 2017 Honda NC750X DCT
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    They are located on the right side of the engine under that bolted on plastic cover.
    ok and how will I know which ones they are, or is this info in the manual somewhere? I only ask because with the DCT system this is very important to know if it cannot switch gears and OIL is OK then next would be the sensors, unless the shift motor craps out... but it seems to me quality build on HONDA is good but sensors well, those can crap out occasionally...

  3. #23
    Super Moderator Bad DCT clutch? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, Ruckus 50, KLX140L
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    5,408
    Quote Originally Posted by rmezei View Post
    ok and how will I know which ones they are, or is this info in the manual somewhere? I only ask because with the DCT system this is very important to know if it cannot switch gears and OIL is OK then next would be the sensors, unless the shift motor craps out... but it seems to me quality build on HONDA is good but sensors well, those can crap out occasionally...
    At some point you should purchase a service manual.
    Greg
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

    NanCyX

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Wausau WI
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    At some point you should purchase a service manual.
    +10 on the service manual..........using the service check connector to read the codes the failed part in this case would have been identified by the flash code. Eliminating a fair amount of guessing.

    Honda SCS Service Connector


    The service check connector is a simple jumper wire. The special tool version has the proper connect, but a wire will work.
    Last edited by showkey; 22nd June 2017 at 13:29.

  5. #25
    Senior Member DCTFAN's Avatar
    Bike: DCT
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    620
    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    If I'm not mistaken the DCT monitors oil pressure and oil temperature. Low oil level could trigger both diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) preventing normal transmission operation but the dash should show a flashing code like LP or something. Sorry, I'm at work and far from the owners manual.

    The second thing mentioned baffles me. The DCT should never be able to shift to 2nd without starting in first. It should never be able to start in 2nd gear. Please elaborate on this.
    Never say "never",
    When I diagnosed my OP sensor (odd gears) problem, the bike would start (N) but when changing to D mode,
    it would go straight to 2nd, since in my case the odd gear OP sensor was cracked badly enough that it was not working.
    I rode about 30 miles back to camp in 2nd gear, which was no fun but I was glad it let me get out of the woods without help.
    Not sure if this is by design, but would not be surprised if the engineers programmed the ECU for such fail safe measures.

    FYI, at the time, my OP sensor side was protected by SW Motech skid plate (DCT)
    When the bike took a nap following rear slide out, it must have hit a rock just right to cave the extra cover
    on the DCT version of the SWM side that it cracked the OP sensor located exactly there.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Bad DCT clutch? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North FL USA
    Posts
    3,244
    Quote Originally Posted by DCTFAN View Post
    Never say "never",
    When I diagnosed my OP sensor (odd gears) problem, the bike would start (N) but when changing to D mode,
    it would go straight to 2nd, since in my case the odd gear OP sensor was cracked badly enough that it was not working.
    I rode about 30 miles back to camp in 2nd gear, which was no fun but I was glad it let me get out of the woods without help.
    Not sure if this is by design, but would not be surprised if the engineers programmed the ECU for such fail safe measures.

    FYI, at the time, my OP sensor side was protected by SW Motech skid plate (DCT)
    When the bike took a nap following rear slide out, it must have hit a rock just right to cave the extra cover
    on the DCT version of the SWM side that it cracked the OP sensor located exactly there.
    Thanks for the detail.
    Dave

    ST1300
    NC700XD
    CH80



  7. #27
    Senior Member ST13Fred's Avatar
    Bike: NC700 DCT Motus MST
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Proctor WV USA
    Posts
    425
    Happy you found and hopefully corrected the problem.

    Regarding the infamous oil subject I've started using full synthetic 10W-30 (Mobil or Castrol) in all my small engines.
    My vehicles calling for 0W-20 (synthetic) will remain the same.
    But with the relatively complex DCT I'm sticking with the specific Honda mineral oil, staying away from the synthetic.

Similar Threads

  1. Clutch Engagement - Friction Zone adjusting where your clutch engages
    By MalcolmReynolds in forum NC700 Technical
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 8th May 2017, 19:26
  2. Clutch went out!
    By Old Can Ride in forum NC700 Technical
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 27th December 2014, 04:18
  3. Bad Clutch Adjustment/Dirty Clutch Cable
    By phenamunan in forum Garage / Mechanical Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19th August 2014, 23:40
  4. Slipper clutch?
    By buckshot in forum NC700 Mods
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21st June 2013, 15:10
  5. clutch levers too far away
    By Mark9911 in forum NC700 General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 8th September 2012, 06:49

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •