Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bad DCT clutch?

Senior Member Bad DCT clutch? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by rmezei View Post
    this is very valuable to know... great information... can you or someone tell me where are those sensors located? would be good to know.
    They are located on the right side of the engine under that bolted on plastic cover.

Bike: 2017 Honda NC750X DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    They are located on the right side of the engine under that bolted on plastic cover.
    ok and how will I know which ones they are, or is this info in the manual somewhere? I only ask because with the DCT system this is very important to know if it cannot switch gears and OIL is OK then next would be the sensors, unless the shift motor craps out... but it seems to me quality build on HONDA is good but sensors well, those can crap out occasionally...

Super Moderator Bad DCT clutch? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, Ruckus 50, KLX140L
    Quote Originally Posted by rmezei View Post
    ok and how will I know which ones they are, or is this info in the manual somewhere? I only ask because with the DCT system this is very important to know if it cannot switch gears and OIL is OK then next would be the sensors, unless the shift motor craps out... but it seems to me quality build on HONDA is good but sensors well, those can crap out occasionally...
    At some point you should purchase a service manual.
    Greg
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX

Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    At some point you should purchase a service manual.
    +10 on the service manual..........using the service check connector to read the codes the failed part in this case would have been identified by the flash code. Eliminating a fair amount of guessing.

Honda SCS Service Connector

The service check connector is a simple jumper wire. The special tool version has the proper connect, but a wire will work.
    Last edited by showkey; 22nd June 2017 at 13:29.

Bike: DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    If I'm not mistaken the DCT monitors oil pressure and oil temperature. Low oil level could trigger both diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) preventing normal transmission operation but the dash should show a flashing code like LP or something. Sorry, I'm at work and far from the owners manual.

The second thing mentioned baffles me. The DCT should never be able to shift to 2nd without starting in first. It should never be able to start in 2nd gear. Please elaborate on this.
    Never say "never",
    When I diagnosed my OP sensor (odd gears) problem, the bike would start (N) but when changing to D mode,
    it would go straight to 2nd, since in my case the odd gear OP sensor was cracked badly enough that it was not working.
    I rode about 30 miles back to camp in 2nd gear, which was no fun but I was glad it let me get out of the woods without help.
    Not sure if this is by design, but would not be surprised if the engineers programmed the ECU for such fail safe measures.

FYI, at the time, my OP sensor side was protected by SW Motech skid plate (DCT)
    When the bike took a nap following rear slide out, it must have hit a rock just right to cave the extra cover
    on the DCT version of the SWM side that it cracked the OP sensor located exactly there.

Senior Member Bad DCT clutch? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by DCTFAN View Post
    Never say "never",
    When I diagnosed my OP sensor (odd gears) problem, the bike would start (N) but when changing to D mode,
    it would go straight to 2nd, since in my case the odd gear OP sensor was cracked badly enough that it was not working.
    I rode about 30 miles back to camp in 2nd gear, which was no fun but I was glad it let me get out of the woods without help.
    Not sure if this is by design, but would not be surprised if the engineers programmed the ECU for such fail safe measures.

FYI, at the time, my OP sensor side was protected by SW Motech skid plate (DCT)
    When the bike took a nap following rear slide out, it must have hit a rock just right to cave the extra cover
    on the DCT version of the SWM side that it cracked the OP sensor located exactly there.
    Thanks for the detail.
    Dave

ST1300
    NC700XD
    CH80

Bike: NC700 DCT Motus MST
    Happy you found and hopefully corrected the problem.

Regarding the infamous oil subject I've started using full synthetic 10W-30 (Mobil or Castrol) in all my small engines.
    My vehicles calling for 0W-20 (synthetic) will remain the same.
    But with the relatively complex DCT I'm sticking with the specific Honda mineral oil, staying away from the synthetic.