Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Okay.. What did I do wrong ?

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by kumatae View Post
    The used rear sprocket hub on eBay that I mentioned few posts back is now relisted at $20 shipped. Someone could use it to test it.

12 Honda NC700X Rear Drive Hub & Sprocket 3C | eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tempting...

Bike: NT 700X
    Sorry you are having these problems. Did you come up with the a Fix! I'm sure this will probably happen to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyperformance8 View Post
    Okay... Seems clear to me that they may have been over-tightened, now why only 2/5 were over tightened and the other 3 held I don't understand, but whatever.

Could the TQ wrench be out of cal? Sure, it's not an expensive wrench, it's possible.

But beyond all of this advice about how a problem occurred, what I could really use is some advice from so many of you guys who know more about bike maintenance than I on how to fix it.

Thanks friends.

Senior Member Okay.. What did I do wrong ?
    Okay.. What did I do wrong ?

Bike: 2016 NC700X DCT ABS

I am in the process of changing my chain and sprockets. Most of my rear sprocket bolts crack free at about 30ftlb, but when checking their initial tightness the are at least 70ftlb, leading me to believe 80ftlb is correct.

I am cracking the bolts loose while the tire is still on the bike and doing it in a star pattern:

Interestingly enough, the studs broke free when loosening. I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen:

The hub thingy is not steel, magnet won't stick but the studs are magnetic.

There's some white powdery substance on one of these:

Probably some threadlock compound that didn't take?

Clean and inspect the spacer and bearings. Feels good. Loctite on deck for the loose studs only. Too chicken to use red.

New sprocket installed. Torqued each bolt four times in a star pattern adding 20ftlb each time, to 80ft-lbs. Problem children marked for later inspection:

Last edited by supertux1; 24th April 2017 at 18:56.

Bike: NC700X
    If there is thread lock, that may be why the stud came out with the nut. Shouldn't need any, on the stud or the nut, especially with the torque that's used.

Quote Originally Posted by AsureDawn View Post
    If there is thread lock, that may be why the stud came out with the nut. Shouldn't need any, on the stud or the nut, especially with the torque that's used.
    This is the first time I've had it off. There appears to be some kind of factory installed compound in there.

Got everything back on:

I

(Yes the bolt is on there... you would believe how much gunk is under there!)

It's late, I'll do the new chain tomorrow.

Bike: NC700X
    The hub is an aluminum alloy, the studs are steel and plated to prevent corrosion (possibly clear zinc dichromate). Add in water and moisture and there's a little reaction resulting in the white powder. There certainly seems to be some thread locking compound on the end of the stud that goes into the hub. It's important that the nut rotate on the stud, and not the stud rotate in the hub, because that can cause the threads in the hub to get stripped. If the aluminum threads do get stripped, an insert can be used to repair it.

Quote Originally Posted by b_rubenstein View Post
    The hub is an aluminum alloy, the studs are steel and plated to prevent corrosion (possibly clear zinc dichromate). Add in water and moisture and there's a little reaction resulting in the white powder. There certainly seems to be some thread locking compound on the end of the stud that goes into the hub. It's important that the nut rotate on the stud, and not the stud rotate in the hub, because that can cause the threads in the hub to get stripped. If the aluminum threads do get stripped, an insert can be used to repair it.
    Good to know. I just put the thing in the way it came out, with a little blue loctite. The stud bottoms out and then locks up good, it can't move forward so that stops any additional torsion on the aluminum threads. Then the nut turns.

Bike: 2012 Honda NC700X
    Thanks to everyone for your help. The ole NC is back in action. Got the new studs they went in fine with a bit of thread sealant and torque to 60 ft lbs.. increased incrementally from 40.