Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long did your original clutch last?

Senior Member How long did your original clutch last?
    Bike: .

How long did your original clutch last?

Simple as the title says:

How many miles did you get out of your stock clutch?

I'm at about 23,000 miles - almost all freeway miles, but a few thousand "hard" miles. I noticed the past few days the bike felt somewhat underpowered (yes, even compared to normal!) and when attempting to accelerate quickly and upshifting, it felt like it was slipping a little after I've already gotten off the clutch.

Still have play in the clutch lever both at bottom and top, so it's within adjustment. It just feels like it's slipping a little.

So, anyway, curious how far ya'll got on your OEM clutch before you replaced it? I think I may do mine in 1500 miles at my next oil change.

Bike: nc700s
    What kind of oil are you using. You really should use a motorcycle dedicated oil as ordinary car oils have Teflon like substances in them to help against wear but it can affect motorcycle clutches.

Senior Member How long did your original clutch last?
    Bike: .
    Quote Originally Posted by glencoeman View Post
    What kind of oil are you using. You really should use a motorcycle dedicated oil as ordinary car oils have Teflon like substances in them to help against wear but it can affect motorcycle clutches.
    In this bike, I run Honda GN-4, as the manual asks.

I'm well aware clutch wear will vary from bike to bike, rider to rider. I'm just trying to get a feel for the average length of life on these bikes. If most people are getting 40-50k, then I'll spend a little more time really paying attention and making sure it's slipping before I replace it. On the other hand, if some people have replaced at 15k, 25k, etc, I'm pretty close to the ballpark average anyway and I'll just swap it out with some new fibers and steels. No biggy.

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    The best answer is how long do I expect the clutch to last ? 50-100k would not be uncommon.

BUT...........clutch life is a lot like brake pad life, variable because it is directly related to the rider habits and the type of riding.

Examples:
    Single track woods riding or off road riding in deep sand and mud is tougher on the clutch. One past member here was quite proud he was able to trash the clutch at a low mileage.

Fully loaded touring with 300 pound rider and 150 of gear is tougher on the clutch.

Gearing changes can effect the clutch life both for the good and bad.

Cruising at highway speeds for endless hours and distances can be easy on the clutch.

One key indicator, if the clutch free play is going away and has to adjusted to get it back in spec the clutch is wearing.

Not always true..... but .......if your hard on brakes you might be hard on the clutch ?????
    Last edited by showkey; 28th October 2015 at 07:47.

Bike: NC700X
    My first clutch lasted about 40,000 miles on the bike. Had no sign of slippage, it just quit. Near home, so called wife who brought trailer.

My second clutch went out while in Mexico Baja desert with about 60,000 miles on the bike. This was a after market clutch. The clutch did give me slippage warning that time. Had to have a Mexican dealer pick me up with a trailer that time.

My third clutch went out at 70,000 miles on the bike. The third clutch did not last all that long, but that was my fault. I was in a hurry late at night in Mexico, and did not let the clutch plates soak long enough in oil before installing. I was in 5 o'clock rush hour traffic in Baton Rouge in route to Daytona, on I-10 dead center on top of the Mississippi River Bridge. That was a real adventure.

I am very rough on my clutch, so just about everyone's clutch should last longer than mine. The clutch is a fairly easy change, but be carefull not to put that sensor in backwards, as bike will not start if sensor is backwards. A few folks I know have done that.
    Last edited by Old Can Ride; 28th October 2015 at 09:01.
    Why not seize the pleasure at once? -- How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, and foolish planning? Just do it. Shut the frunk up and Ride !!!!!!!!!!

#1 Elite How long did your original clutch last?
    How long did your original clutch last?
    Bike: NC-less
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Can Ride View Post
    My second clutch went out while in Mexico Baja desert with about 60,000 miles on the bike. This was a after market clutch. The clutch did give me slippage warning that time.
    Jim, what aftermarket brand was it, Barnett?

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    I'm at 49k on the original clutch and it feels fine, knock on wood! OCR and Nortwestrider are the only two I know have replace their clutches -- and both use their bikes off-road regularly in stuff I'd be hesitant to take a DRZ through.

Most of my mileage is commuting and long distance highway travel. Maybe 5% of my time is off pavement, and maybe 1% of that is in knarly enough stuff that requires working the clutch in first gear.

YMMV, literally.

trey

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    Not to alarm..........Back to clutch free play. If the free is gone, it is very possible to destroy the clutch in a very short period of time and or distance. When free play is gone it is just like "riding" or slipping the clutch. ( free play gone means zero play, beyond zero is where it becomes a problem). When things are normal free play does not change fast or often.

A sticky, rusty or worn clutch cable or mechanism can be the same as having a zero free play.

Senior Member How long did your original clutch last? itlives's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700X, 2012 Super Tenere
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemerphile View Post
    If I remember right, he also didn't use all new parts.

Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemerphile View Post

Second clutch was EBC Clutch Kit. I road this clutch hard. Went out in about 20,000 miles.
    Why not seize the pleasure at once? -- How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, and foolish planning? Just do it. Shut the frunk up and Ride !!!!!!!!!!