Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yes, Virginia, the 700 can have a sidecar !

Senior Member Yes, Virginia, the 700 can have a sidecar ! StratTuner's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X model C
    OK... do you sell a kit? How much?
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

"If you don't understand him, and he don't die young,
    he'll probly just ride away."
    - Willie Nelson

Bike: 2012 NC700Xc
    Quote Originally Posted by StratTuner View Post
    OK... do you sell a kit? How much?
    These folks sell the kit:
    Classical RocketTeer Side Car Motorcycle Sidecar Kit - Honda Models

But before you buy from that link, do a quick search for that company... you'll find a lot of people who feel they got ripped off... and a few lawsuits.
    Very much a buyer beware kind of site (if the website itself didn't already give you a dirty feeling at the idea of entering a credit card number)

Junior Member electric eccentric's Avatar
    Bike: NC700x

I have tried to make this point clear throughout this post

Quote Originally Posted by anglachel View Post
    These folks sell the kit:
    Classical RocketTeer Side Car Motorcycle Sidecar Kit - Honda Models

But before you buy from that link, do a quick search for that company... you'll find a lot of people who feel they got ripped off... and a few lawsuits.
    Very much a buyer beware kind of site (if the website itself didn't already give you a dirty feeling at the idea of entering a credit card number)
    I agree with Anglachel. I hope that I was clear about their incomplete first attempt, with complete loss of the frame, tire and wheel to someone at UPS. As well, remember, that the tub had to be completely redone.

The over-all point is, that, even if the kit is only used as a basic starting point, and even if much fiberglass/paint and assembly work is necessary, it still can come out as you see in the pics, at a total price of less than 3K.

Anything above that and you would be advised to get a new assembly crew. AND, if you are capable of your own fiberglass/paint and detailed assembly and alignment ? Why, then, you would be very close to $2300. I really was not even interested in the final price, as much as matching the bike in looks, and with minimum load. Besides giving the wrong look and an 8K price, most sidecars are way too heavy for the little NC700X. As my finished product goes, with my wife, and packs, the whole unit can still safely do interstate speeds.

And, at 70MPH, I still get 52 MPG !!! That is much better than a Harley gets, all by its lonesome.

*Remember, if you do try to get the basic kit, keep it basic. Even ask that they not paint it at all (which merely hides the needy areas, and is poorly done anyway). I can see someone DEALING with them, and getting the basic kit price way down below 2K. Then you have even more money to finish it properly !

To me ? It was well worth the gamble!
    Last edited by electric eccentric; 10th September 2015 at 07:05.

Just a thought... I looked around the site, and see that many with a DCT are getting only mpg in the low 50s. Sport mode ? But, in any case, a long way from the 70s, which is what I got, with a clutch, before the sidecar. Now getting the low 50s with the sidecar continues to make the NC700X very efficient in this combo. And such mileage makes the 700/sidecar even more enjoyable !

BTW, I am constantly operating the NC700X at 5000 ft.
    Last edited by electric eccentric; 11th September 2015 at 07:35.

Over 55 MPG with SIDECAR !

I now have my first long distance mix mileage - from 45 to 75 MPH. Most of 400 miles at 65 MPH.

With driver, passenger and bags, I am now getting 55.2 MPG @ 5000 ft. altitude (NM).

Those of you who get around 77 with the bike might expect similar, as I was getting mid to upper 70s prior to the sidecar.

On the road in central New Mexico.

Yes, Virginia, the 700 can have a sidecar !-dsc02360ct-jpg

Fixed Idea Yes, Virginia, the 700 can have a sidecar !
    Yes, Virginia, the 700 can have a sidecar !
    Bike: CBR125R NC700XA
    Quote Originally Posted by electric eccentric View Post
    On the road in central New Mexico.

Yes, Virginia, the 700 can have a sidecar !-dsc02360ct-jpg

Being a complete sidecar Schultz (I know nussink!) is it an optical illusion that there is a mile of ground clearance under the thing? And coupled with that thought, I'd be afraid of that steel tube vertical/horizontal brace (?) thingy getting thwacked or stopping me dead in my tracks as I merrily rode over something, lol
    Chillin' with Cybersix and Data 7 in Meridiana

Completely different duties !

Your duty as a driver is not only completely different in reference to the laws of physics, much of your duty is also to the goal of your new rig. Any days of trails and rough roads are over. You must not even think of them fondly... For such thoughts and skills will get you wrecked.

A motorcycle and sidecar is for good roads. The better, the more super the road, the better. While it is nice to ride state roads, continuous pavement and lack of pot holes is a must. Otherwise, you will certainly drive more comfortably, as will your passenger, on the super type highways.

The very first time that you drive a cycle with sidecar, you will realize that your whole world changed. You can no longer deviate quickly, no longer ride the pinpoint of your tires between dips and holes. You must consider the sidecar and occupant at all times. I find myself taking the roughest part of the road for the cycle, saving the best areas for the sidecar. And on and on...

I gave up all the rough back roads, most gravel for any more than yards, and ANY uneven surfaces, at that moment when I added the sidecar. I rely on good surfaces as much as any, or more than any, family car. I just do. Do not consider any type of sidecar, if you intend to want to use your 700 for all those ultimate freedom moments that you have become used to having.

This has all been the LONG way of saying, 'of course nothing as high as the support should ever be going between the sidecar and the cycle'. I am only driving this rig on the smooth level surfaces. Anything else is called a horrible wreck.

And, if this sounds like senior time ? Maybe. But there is a different kind of expertise and concern that comes with adding a sidecar. Putting it down the road accurately and safely can be quite enough challenge and quite rewarding.

In the meantime, I will allow everyone to be concerned about the aerodynamics below...where an Indian cycle and a cop somehow made it through that era !
    Yes, Virginia, the 700 can have a sidecar !-side-car-prisoner-jpg It says at the bottom of the pic, "Mobile Booking Cage".
    Last edited by electric eccentric; 15th September 2015 at 10:50.

Bike: 2012 NC700Xc
    So how easy/hard is it to pull the side car off?

I definitely think it'd be awesome to have the wife or dog hanging out in there on longer trips, but I don't think I'd want to keep it that way most of the time.

14 bolts

Quote Originally Posted by anglachel View Post
    So how easy/hard is it to pull the side car off?

...I don't think I'd want to keep it that way most of the time.
    14 bolts, 12 for the arms that you see, two for the main frame underneath attachment. But alignment is critical, takes hours, and would have to be redone each time that you put it back. Perhaps this is why most sidecars rigs are considered a dedicated ride. Think, family car... Not big enough to consider family van ! Still, I would think that a guy or girl main rider would have an entire second bike for single time...a bike they could roughhouse and get all the other needs taken care of with.

Till the sidecar fails, I am probably not going to seperate the units. That is what happened 40 years ago, when I had a similar sidecar. But, it was not as well mounted, and was exposed to Great Lakes weather effects, with extreme temperature variations. When all that took its toll, I did give up and went back to the bike alone.

The pictured rig in this post has parking deep in a protected garage, and will be primarily used in the desert Southwest. As well, I will try preventive care, using what I learned about my first fiberglass sidecar. I have already tried to incorporate past learning into the rebuild of the tub and its mounting to the frame.

In total ? I am hoping for a longer planned life of this rig combo, and will probably not affect its attachments unless I have a failure.

But, the short answer to the question is...14 bolts.