Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSR Fuel Bottle Funnel

Senior Member MSR Fuel Bottle FunnelMSR Fuel Bottle Funnel kpinvt's Avatar
    Bike: !RED! 2014 NC700XD - The Best Bike Ever

MSR Fuel Bottle Funnel

I bought a set of Givi side case racks from dduelin who had added a pair of tool tubes to the inside of the racks.

MSR Fuel Bottle Funnel-finishing-08-07-201501-jpg

I figured a good use for them would be to use a couple of old MSR 33 oz. fuel bottles as a back up fuel supply.

MSR Fuel Bottle Funnel-finishing-08-07-201502-jpg

I found I could use an Aquafina water bottle with the bottom cut off as a tall funnel.
    I cut the remaining plastic rim from the cap off to keep it from getting lost in the tank.

MSR Fuel Bottle Funnel-finishing-08-07-201506-jpg

One of the bottles isn't as round as the other which means the water bottle/funnel won't slide over it.

MSR Fuel Bottle Funnel-finishing-08-07-201507-jpg

The new funnel fits over one the bottles and the two together slides easily into the tool tube. There is enough room under the cap for the cap to screw down completely.

MSR Fuel Bottle Funnel-finishing-08-07-201508-jpg
    MSR Fuel Bottle Funnel-finishing-08-07-201509-jpg

Be sure to only fill the bottle up to the fill line which is where the top of the bottle starts to narrow towards the mouth.
    Last edited by kpinvt; 18th August 2015 at 19:14.

Bike: 2014 NC700X, 2018 GL 1800 Tour DCT
    Good idea, I don't think I have that much room in my tool tubes.

Senior Member Triumph 'n Shadow's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 Honda NC700X, 2015 Triumph Tiger XRx, 1992 Honda Shadow
    kpinvt:

Where did you get the rack?

If I recall one of the forum members makes them.

I wonder if a nice seat cushion could be used on it as a passenger seat.

Would the rack hold up to the weight of a person?

That way I would have quick access to the gas cap and able to take my wife with me.

Or does the rack come off and the passenger seat quickly reattach for days she would ride with me?

I saw the fuel bottle and carrier system (Twisted Throttle maybe) and never thought about attaching them inside the pannier rack.

I love the fuel funnel idea.

Thanks.

God bless!!

Michael

Bike: 2014 Honda NC700X DCT (Black)
    Very cool idea, and very nice it worked out so well. I have a funnel that bends up that is under the pillion seat. I carry 2 MSRs when I am overnighting somewhere. both for camping and as a "just in case reserve (love the whisperlight int'l for that). Right now I carry the bottles in a bag (one on each side) but would like to find a better way of transporting it, and I need a better solution for my tool roll. I am looking at getting a topbox, when I can find the right one to fit on the current mounting bracket I have (SW-MoTech Alu-Rack)
    https://raven.deckyon.com

Kentuckiana NC Forum Group:
    https://nc700-forum.com/forum/groups/kentuckiana-ncs.html

NC700 Reddit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NC700x

Senior Member MSR Fuel Bottle Funnel itlives's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700X, 2012 Super Tenere
    Here where I put mine. I think putting them up front of the panniers breaks up the air hitting the pannier. Less resistance = better mlieage. 3 mpg more for me.
    MSR Fuel Bottle Funnel-img_20150605_165217-jpg
    I like that funnel idea.

Bike: NC700X
    It does not matter where I put my tool tubes at, the impact keeps exploding them.
    Why not seize the pleasure at once? -- How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, and foolish planning? Just do it. Shut the frunk up and Ride !!!!!!!!!!

Senior Member MSR Fuel Bottle Funnel
    MSR Fuel Bottle Funnel
    Bike: 2013 NC700x/w DCT
    If I'm not mistaken, auto parts stores sell paper funnels that can be used for gas at least one time. They come folded completely flat and were free the last time I asked for one.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtFlier View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, auto parts stores sell paper funnels that can be used for gas at least one time. They come folded completely flat and were free the last time I asked for one.
    The first time I tried to use a water bottle as a funnel I used only the top 4 or 5 inches of it. It did not work. The height of the funnel above the rear plate was too short to easily pour the fuel in. I would have had to hold the MSR bottle over a foot above the funnel to be able to be able to do so. I tried to do it like that but I really did not want to spill fuel all over the seats if I missed the target. I was about a dozen miles, mostly up hill from the nearest gas station. I made it the station and put about 3.5 gallons into the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph 'n Shadow View Post
    kpinvt:

If I recall one of the forum members makes them.

I wonder if a nice seat cushion could be used on it as a passenger seat.

Would the rack hold up to the weight of a person?

That way I would have quick access to the gas cap and able to take my wife with me.

Or does the rack come off and the passenger seat quickly reattach for days she would ride with me?

I saw the fuel bottle and carrier system (Twisted Throttle maybe) and never thought about attaching them inside the pannier rack.

I love the fuel funnel idea.

Thanks.

God bless!!

Michael

https://nc700-forum.com/forum/south-bound-honda/5694-hondabikepro-products-3.html

It took me 15 minutes or so to take the original seat off and put the new platform on. It's only 3 nuts at the back of the seat near the hinge.

Super Moderator MSR Fuel Bottle Funnel 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Here is my version of the tool tube mounting and funnel. This project dragged out for a month or more in between other projects. Actually I bought the tool tubes over a year ago. I'm so happy this project is done.

Anyway, whilst holding the tube up to the SW-Motech side racks to judge the best placement, I dropped the tube from 18 inches above the floor (did not have the cap on it), and the mounting tab snapped clean off.
    MSR Fuel Bottle Funnel-100_9973-jpg

This did not give me confidence is using the plastic tab as a mount, so I made a custom set of aluminum brackets to mount the tubes.
    MSR Fuel Bottle Funnel-100_9972-jpg

The mounting brackets also accommodate a hose clamp for added security.
    MSR Fuel Bottle Funnel-100_9976-jpg

Here is the finished product. The prototype had them mounted lower, but out of concern for interference with the chain guard, I set them a bit higher.
    MSR Fuel Bottle Funnel-100_9977-jpg

For my funnel, I decided to use a piece of X-ray film, and store it wrapped around the MSR bottle in the tube. I can shape the film sheet into any funnel size I want. The Internet tells me that X-ray film base is made of cellulose acetate. The Easton company Web site says cellulose acetate survived one year of exposure to gasoline with some swelling and discoloration, but apparently was not dissolved. Thus, I hope the film will make a good gasoline funnel for occasional emergency use.
    MSR Fuel Bottle Funnel-100_9978-jpg
    MSR Fuel Bottle Funnel-100_9980-jpg
    Last edited by 670cc; 7th March 2016 at 05:40.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250