Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: fork boots

Bike: NC700/RSVRV2/900SS/VFR750F2
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    Actually, I like the idea of the bottoms being a little loose. If any water got inside the boots, it could drain.
    Good point; agreed. Will not zip tie the bottom.

Bike: NC750X
    Quote Originally Posted by Krampus View Post
    These are a good fit for the 41mm end; zip tie. So slightly loose on the bottom; could use the included zip tie to snug it on there, but then again it seems to be staying put for the moment just pulled down between the fender and fork. Pricier than eBay, but is an EMGO branded part and more dependable vendor most likely.

V-Factor Black Fork Boots for 41mm Forks - 36300 Harley-Davidson Motorcycle | Dennis Kirk
    I looked at these. I'm looking for a better fit to the lower leg. Too big of a gap 64mm to 75mm. Using a tie wrap will bunch up the excess or not provide a good seal. These boots have vent holes to allow them to "breathe". I looked at Moto Guzzi V7 fork boots but they are expensive 80 - 90 USD! Yikes.

Bike: Nc700
    Quote Originally Posted by NChammer View Post
    Good news/Bad news day. I ordered the ones from post #22 off Ebay. Good news. My fork boots arrived today. Bad news. They are way too small in diameter on both ends. I should have known when the add didn't list the diameters. These are 45mm and 30mm. I need 64mm and 41mm. Good thing they weren't expensive. So the search goes on unless someone has a link to boots that actually fit our bikes.
    Sorry for not updating. I gave up on that pair, never removed them from the package, realizing I'll have to remove the forks to slip them on.

I got this pair off ebay -
    fork boots-img_20190816_120653-jpg

No idea if they're any good, or if these glue stripes are enough for anything, so I'm kinda stalling.

Bike: NC750X
    Quote Originally Posted by kaz View Post
    Sorry for not updating. I gave up on that pair, never removed them from the package, realizing I'll have to remove the forks to slip them on.

I got this pair off ebay -
    fork boots-img_20190816_120653-jpg

No idea if they're any good, or if these glue stripes are enough for anything, so I'm kinda stalling.
    Those are taller than most others. Do you have a link? You could always back up the 3M tape with a black tie wrap.

I thought about poking holes for zip ties as well.

This is the pair I got -
    HONDA CB1100 NC700 X NC700S NC700X Shock Absorbers Guard Fender Cover Dust Cover | eBay

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Those are pretty cool Kaz, got any pictures of yours installed? Haha, I think i'll make my own from a piece of black Coroplast in a similar shape and zip tie them on.
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

My dust seals (thought they were oil seals) are kinda cracked. Back then I didn't want to cover them so I could inspect and ask a mechanic/ random people around my bike. That's how I found they are dust seals

Dug the fork protectors from the closet with some other mismatched / untried ebay stuff
    fork boots-nc700x-jpg

The diameter seems right. I'll try to put them on tomorrow and upload a pic

This is how it looks:

fork boots-img_20191006_162942-jpg

fork boots-img_20191006_162915-jpg

Don't know if it's safe to remove the zip ties, and leaving them on may hint to the fact that they can be pulled off.

I think I'll replace with a bigger black zip tie (Currently it's 2 small ones connected to each other on each side) and see if it stays on the bike.

As far as protection - you tell me. It's not airtight so I guess no humidity buildup issues.

I think cutting up the rubber boots and slapping them on with zip ties is the best setup- protects more area, noone's likely to take torn boots (and they're 4$ anyway so who cares), and still not airtight.
    Last edited by kaz; 6th October 2019 at 08:40.