Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coolant temp meter

Senior Member Coolant temp meter duk2n's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X ABS

Coolant temp meter

I have installed a coolant temp meter to my baby.

Materials: Indicator, 22mm hose adapter and patiente. The first two ones are from Koso, the third is from my own

The first thing to nude the right side of the bike. Then, loosen the radiator cap. There is a very small screw in the cap that needs to be loosen before the cap.

With a small silicon hose attached to a syringe, extract about 250 cc of coolant from the radiator. Then, dismount the upper flange, cut the hose and install the adapter and sensor:

Then, inyect back the coolant extracted previously.

I placed the indicator over the stock dashboard:

There is a screw in the back side of the dashboard that is perfect to fix a small self-made support there:

Finally, install again the right side panel.

Finished product:

The hose adaptor is almost hidden with the side panel in place:

You have to be very close to see it:

I did a test of the kit and found that the fan fires at 100 ēC, and disconnects at 95 ēC

HTH

Nov 19th 2012 update

I moved the indicator below the dashboard. I was thinking to install something here but finally I would do it in another way. I think now is better:

Last edited by duk2n; 19th November 2012 at 08:46.
    -JL-

Maņo a mucha honra

Fixed Idea Coolant temp meter
    Coolant temp meter
    Bike: CBR125R NC700XA
    oooh, very nice!

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    I feel like this bike runs pretty cool. I will be interested to hear from you about what the temp. sits at going down the highway. I rode home from work this morning and it was about 60 Fahrenheit, and I could hold the radiator without burning my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamo View Post
    I feel like this bike runs pretty cool. I will be interested to hear from you about what the temp. sits at going down the highway. I rode home from work this morning and it was about 60 Fahrenheit, and I could hold the radiator without burning my hand.
    It's too soon to have confident data, but I went out for dinner yesterday, weather temp was about 10 ēC (I think this is about 50 Fahrenheit), around 10 km trip, 90 km/h, and the max running temp I saw in the meter was 74 ēC. The same in the trip returning home. I was expecting to get around 85-90 ēC.
    -JL-

Maņo a mucha honra

#1 Elite Coolant temp meter
    Coolant temp meter
    Bike: NC-less
    Quote Originally Posted by duk2n View Post

There is a screw in the back side of the dashboard that is perfect to fix a small self-made support there:

HTH
    Tighten carefully, as this is only a tapping screw into a plastic boss in the instrument case.
    Motorcycle don't lie!

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerphile View Post
    Tighten carefully, as this is only a tapping screw into a plastic boss in the instrument case.
    Thanks for the advice, Lee. Actually the support is very light, just a piece of plastic riveted to a square of aluminum. Anyway I'm thinking to improve it with something velcroed to the top side of the dashboard, version 2
    -JL-

Maņo a mucha honra

#1 Elite Coolant temp meter
    Coolant temp meter
    Bike: NC-less
    Quote Originally Posted by duk2n View Post
    Thanks for the advice, Lee. Actually the support is very light, just a piece of plastic riveted to a square of aluminum. Anyway I'm thinking to improve it with something velcroed to the top side of the dashboard, version 2
    I understand, that it doesn't need to be greatly tightened, but some people tighten everything like it were an axle bolt. I find that most damage done to motorcycles with owner maintenance is done by over-tightening fasteners. I just wanted to point out to others who may choose this as a point of attachment, that it is a bit fragile. I am certain it is up to the duty you have selected for it.
    Motorcycle don't lie!

OP updated, now indicator is located below the dashboard
    -JL-

Maņo a mucha honra

Bike: NC750X Black
    Great work!
    Just couple of questions:
    - after refil the coolant into radiator have you done some operations in order to be sure there is no air inside radiator?
    - how and where have you connect the temp meter? Does it switch on only when you turn the ignetion on?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Markino View Post
    - after refil the coolant into radiator have you done some operations in order to be sure there is no air inside radiator?
    Just refill up to top. If you have had used the side stand (not the center stand) the radiator cap is the topmost piece of the circuit and there is no way to get air into the circuit. Anyway, FYI, the service manual just says to fill up to the top, fit the cap, turn on the bike some minutes and then check the coolant level in the reservoir

Quote Originally Posted by Markino View Post
    - how and where have you connect the temp meter? Does it switch on only when you turn the ignetion on?
    Yes, only when the ignition is on. I have the option connector and sub-harness in place (the optional connector for accesories) so I got a switched power source from there. Anyway the indicator comes with a plug to get the power from the position light, for example.
    -JL-

Maņo a mucha honra