Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 37 of 37

Thread: Big Fairing for Small Price

  1. #31
    Senior Member Big Fairing for Small Price StratTuner's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X model C
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,446
    Quote Originally Posted by rippin209 View Post
    After seeing your fairing creations (the second version looks good)
    I do want to figure out a way to get get coverage (that's my biggest problem)
    Thanks for posting, I'm feeling inspired.
    I'll try my hand at making something up soon
    Version Two works. I haven't done V3.... no need. I was out enjoying that fairing this evening. (smile)
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

    "If you don't understand him, and he don't die young,
    he'll probly just ride away."
    - Willie Nelson

  2. #32
    Junior Member
    Bike: NC700X
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    13
    Just wondering, if knees cold is the problem why not just use a knee cover. Walmart kneeling pads. Not to take away from the neat job of building.

  3. #33
    Senior Member Big Fairing for Small Price StratTuner's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X model C
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,446
    My experience with 70mph wind in cold is that you have to keep the wind OFF the thing you want to warm.

    Example: the knee pad in the motorcycle pants I wear is approx. 1 inch thick. (for discussion)
    That means that the air stream is 1 inch away from my knee and able to draw heat away at that distance.

    With the fairing, the wind stream is 5 inches away, and its ability to draw off heat is much reduced. The fairing adds no insulation, but it keeps the air stream further away. That seems to help.

    Disclaimer: I don't know much. What I need now is someone conversant in heat thermo dynamics... and that's not me.
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

    "If you don't understand him, and he don't die young,
    he'll probly just ride away."
    - Willie Nelson

  4. #34
    Senior Member Rapturee's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Post Falls IDAHO
    Posts
    642
    Here Strat... Make one like this, it is for sure to keep you out of the elements!! The entire build process is a great read! :{)

    2015-Fine tuning the streamliners for the 2015 Challenges chapter 87
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

  5. #35
    Senior Member
    Bike: 2001 CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird, 2007 ST 1300, 84 Standard Goldwing.
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Rockford, Illinois
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by StratTuner View Post
    My experience with 70mph wind in cold is that you have to keep the wind OFF the thing you want to warm.

    Example: the knee pad in the motorcycle pants I wear is approx. 1 inch thick. (for discussion)
    That means that the air stream is 1 inch away from my knee and able to draw heat away at that distance.

    With the fairing, the wind stream is 5 inches away, and its ability to draw off heat is much reduced. The fairing adds no insulation, but it keeps the air stream further away. That seems to help.

    Disclaimer: I don't know much. What I need now is someone conversant in heat thermo dynamics... and that's not me.
    Heat transfer = mass flow rate of fluid (air) + temperature differential. This does not take into account the heat transfer coefficient of your riding gear. Big Fairing for Small Price

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 1wiseguy2; 21st December 2018 at 18:09.

  6. #36
    Senior Member Big Fairing for Small Price StratTuner's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X model C
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,446
    Quote Originally Posted by 1wiseguy2 View Post
    Heat transfer = mass flow rate of fluid (air) + temperature differential.
    This does not take into account the heat transfer coefficient of your riding gear.
    .... uuuuhhhhhh....what he said......
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

    "If you don't understand him, and he don't die young,
    he'll probly just ride away."
    - Willie Nelson

  7. #37
    Senior Member Big Fairing for Small Price StratTuner's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X model C
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,446
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapturee View Post
    Here Strat... Make one like this, it is for sure to keep you out of the elements!! The entire build process is a great read! :{)

    2015-Fine tuning the streamliners for the 2015 Challenges chapter 87
    I'm sure it does what it's designed to do. Thank you.
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

    "If you don't understand him, and he don't die young,
    he'll probly just ride away."
    - Willie Nelson

Similar Threads

  1. Fairing Panel or Fake Tank removal.
    By Solent biker in forum How To's...
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29th April 2015, 14:54
  2. Fairing Wind Deflectors for legs
    By itlives in forum NC700 Mods
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 5th October 2014, 19:44
  3. Fairing
    By MSAB in forum Main Lobby / New Member Section
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 1st February 2013, 09:12
  4. Panniers require fairing to be cut?
    By Texican88 in forum NC700 Mods
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10th September 2012, 13:51

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •