Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Fairing for Small Price

Commuter Extraordinaire Big Fairing for Small Price
    Big Fairing for Small Price
    Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by StratTuner View Post
    I haven't had time to compile any data. I'd like to take off everything but the fairing, ride 180 miles, and calculate MPG.
    Then I could take off the fairing and do the same on the same day.... that might give some useful #'s.
    I bet it isn't to big of a differnece but I was curious. Loosing a couple MPG's is worth keeping the legs warm.

Senior Member Big Fairing for Small Price belrix's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 Silver NC700X
    WOW! Very, very nice!

Wish I had these for my 170 mile trip tomorrow, starting temps in the mid-30's!

Fixed Idea Big Fairing for Small Price
    Bike: CBR125R NC700XA
    I've found a good set of knee/shin guards under my riding pants prevents my knees from any cold wind blast, so that's maybe another thing to consider or supplement a fairing AeroBlocker™
    Chillin' with Cybersix and Data 7 in Meridiana

Supporting Vendor Big Fairing for Small Price
    Bike: tracer 700
    didn't beemer phil had a good set up.
    If I wanted to make a life-long career out of
    working with the mentally retarded I would
    have opened a Harley Davidson Dealership

Senior Member Big Fairing for Small Price StratTuner's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X model C
    Yes he did.. His was executed in heat-bent lexan and attached to his crash bars. I have some experience heat bending lexan (I do that for my home made wind screen), but I wanted to keep this design simpler... something the average Joe could do with home tools and a couple trips to Home Depot. (neighborhood DIY store).
    Last edited by StratTuner; 26th March 2015 at 18:18.
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

"If you don't understand him, and he don't die young,
    he'll probly just ride away."
    - Willie Nelson

Fairings 2.0

Update Fairings 2.0

During my long ride to Amarillo, I actually removed the 1.0 (flat) fairings to see if they were holding me back or reducing gas mileage. I decided they were not since the MPG never changed. I've concluded that carrying as much WEIGHT as I did... was the real problem.

At home, I re-installed the PVC pipes as before but decided to make the plastic covering more aero-dynamic. How to do that?

My solution was to crease the skin covering the PVC triangle in its middle. Instead of having the plastic strung over the PVC flat (like the strings of a tennis racket) it would bend to a point forward so that the oncoming wind hits the angled point and not a flat surface.

I did the mockup with cardboard first over the existing PVC pipes. After that was as "right" as I could make it, I used the cardboard as a template for plastic. (plastic from a $4 Walmart waste basket...Rubbermaid). The result is a little more aero and possible aesthetically pleasing... well as pretty as PVC pipe and plastic can be anyway.

Here's the result.

Big Fairing for Small Price-fairing2a-jpg
    Notice that the plastic doesn't overlap the piping at all this time. This makes it look a little more "trim" I hope.

Big Fairing for Small Price-fairing2b-jpg
    Creasing the plastic in the middle of the triangle synced up with the "beak" (as some have called it) on the NC. I expect the increase in aero is infinitesimal, but it looks a little better.

Big Fairing for Small Price-fairing2c-jpg
    The angles from the front are visually appealing (to me anyway).

The effect keeps wind off my knees. Feet are still exposed.

Utility? You can put the fairing on and off with 6 zip ties. I'm keeping it on right now as it's still a little cool where I am.
    It's very cheap to construct, modify, and maintain.
    Thanks for looking in on this project.
    Last edited by StratTuner; 7th April 2015 at 18:27.
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

- Willie Nelson

Senior Member Big Fairing for Small Price itlives's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700X, 2012 Super Tenere
    One thing I miss about my Burgman scooter was the quiet cockpit. The fairings on scooters "almost" make them worth having. (didn't like the cvt on mine)
    Maybe it was pride, but I had an inferiority complex while on my scoot. I wanted to have a REAL bike!
    I realize now the many big tarmac munchers have a LOT of fairings to make them comfortable.

Senior Member Big Fairing for Small Price BerndM's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 NC700X-D
    I agree. My 2012 Burgman 650 Executive was awesome in sound and wind protection (and storage!), but like you, I didn't care for the looming repair potentials on that CVT, and other than the go cart I built as a kid with solid tires and no suspension, the Burgman was hands down the worst bone stressing bike I have ever had the displeasure of riding.
    Regards
    Bernd

2013 Honda NC700X-D (Red of course) # 100345

Bike: NC700X DCT, Zero SR
    Quote Originally Posted by itlives View Post
    One thing I miss about my Burgman scooter was the quiet cockpit. The fairings on scooters "almost" make them worth having. (didn't like the cvt on mine)
    Maybe it was pride, but I had an inferiority complex while on my scoot. I wanted to have a REAL bike!
    I realize now the many big tarmac munchers have a LOT of fairings to make them comfortable.
    I have to agree with you on every point. My Piaggio BV 350 gave excellent body protection from the wind, though there was some helmet buffeting at speed. I often look with envy at the big cruisers on the highway with all that protection, especially when it's cold, but I really wouldn't want one. I too didn't like the CVT - I missed the direct connection and control that real gears give you. And, as much as I hate to admit it, I also felt a bit of the inferiority thing on a scooter. I feel bad even saying that because the scooter was a ton of fun and I really shouldn't have worried about anything else but I did. I'm just more comfortable on a motorcycle. I hardly ever got acknowledged by motorcycles on my scooter - now it's back to the motorcycle wave. There is no getting around the fact that scooters are looked down upon by most motorcycle riders.
    Last edited by MichaelJohn; 8th April 2015 at 10:03.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJohn View Post
    I hardly ever got acknowledged by motorcycles on my scooter - now it's back to the motorcycle wave. There is no getting around the fact that scooters are looked down upon by most motorcycle riders.
    That phrase caught my eye... I make a point of giving the "keep two wheels down" hand sigh (two fingers pointing down) at

scooters
    motorcycle police

both risk the same as I do and deserve that "blessing" as much as any rider.
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

- Willie Nelson