Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your mirror might be the cause of your buffeting noise

Senior Member Your mirror might be the cause of your buffeting noise
    Bike: 2014 NC700 dct

Your mirror might be the cause of your buffeting noise

I have been trying to solve the buffeting noise that was coming from both side, I started to look around in forums on bike that are similar to our. like the Vstorm, many of them said that the mirror cause the buffeting due the very flat mirrors shape.

I went ahead and remove the NC's mirror even though the NC mirror look very well aerodynamically designed.

but after a few run the buffeting from the side seem to be gone. i have to run it a few more time. look like i will have to shop for different mirrors.

has anyone try this? if you have not .. are you willing to try it?

( running wiht no mirror is illegal)

Bike: X-Adventure, Triumph Explorer 1200, 1989 Honda Dominator
    I have long given up trying to combat buffeting. One could spend a lot of money doing so, replacing screens etc. In your case you will get new mirrors. Hopefully they will solve the problem but there is no guarantee that they will. Nowadays I just make as many adjustments as necessary to screens etc to reduce the buffeting to a minimum, and then stick in my earplugs. Regretfully I adopted ear plugs too late in life to prevent the damage that has been done to my hearing. However in using them now I have at least ensured that things do not get any worse.

Commuter Extraordinaire Your mirror might be the cause of your buffeting noise
    Bike: NC700X
    I hope the mirror switch works for you. Be sure to report back and let everyone know. Like Giff, I just deal with it and wear earplugs at all times for the exact same reason.

Super Moderator Your mirror might be the cause of your buffeting noise 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, Ruckus 50
    Bar end mirrors would eliminate mirrors from the buffeting equation.

I've always like bikes that integrated the mirrors into the fairing, vs mounting them on the bars. NM4, for example!
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX

Bike: 2012 NC700Xc
    Something like this:
    SW-MOTECH mirror wideners for right-threaded M10 mirrors for select BMW, Ducati, Honda, Kawasaki, KTM, Suzuki & Triumph - TwistedThrottle.com

Might help the issue just by moving the mirrors further out instead of removing or replacing them.

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    I really like the view that my NC mirrors give so I would probably resist changing them.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeantChuck View Post
    I hope the mirror switch works for you. Be sure to report back and let everyone know. Like Giff, I just deal with it and wear earplugs at all times for the exact same reason.

i refuse to just deal with it by doing nothing about. my way of dealing with it is solving it, i will sell my NC if I cannot solve this, once you have ridden a bike that make no buffeting noise you will never go back

i wear earplug already,

make you you put on the ear plug correctly . i did not know the proper way- and the difference
    see this video from 3m - Fitting Foam Earplugs - YouTube

and not all ear plug will fit you the same way, even thought the rating is the highest, is the fitting that is more important
    got to ear plug store- buy a sample pack and try them all- i did and found out that way

Ear Plug Assortment Packs - Ear Plugs
    "Like fingerprints, no two ear canals are exactly alike, so no one can accurately predict which ear plugs will work best for you in your application. Experimentation is the only reliable method we know of to find the right ear plugs for you"

the way motorcycle are design does not help the wind situation, most motorcycle do not go to the wind tunnel for noise test. and most helmet manufactured do not either. i already wear one of the quietest helmet in the market.

Bike: 2014 NC700X, GL 1500
    I got molded ear plugs about 4 years ago, cost about $65-70. Still fit perfectly and are comfortable for hours on end.

Commuter Extraordinaire Your mirror might be the cause of your buffeting noise
    Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by mreric View Post
    i refuse to just deal with it by doing nothing about. my way of dealing with it is solving it, i will sell my NC if I cannot solve this, once you have ridden a bike that make no buffeting noise you will never go back
    I went the wrong way them. I rode CBRs for year. I did not have issues with buffeting or turbulent winds. I do with the NCX but the bike is so commuter friendly I can't seem to let it go. I do sympathize with you though. The buffeting sucks. If the mirror thing works let us know. I’ll be interested to see what happens and may change mine out if it works for you.