Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Your mirror might be the cause of your buffeting noise

Member Your mirror might be the cause of your buffeting noise
    Bike: '14 DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by YoRamrod View Post
    Doc, do you have any pictures of your windshield? How did you cut it?

I don't have the means to upload pictures, but its just a few inched shorter. Nothing else about it changed. I watched this to learn how to do it if you're interested:
    Trim a motorcycle windshield. - YouTube

I'd suggest you try the extenders first. That made much more of a difference than cutting down the windshield.
    "Roads are just a suggestion, like pants."

Bike: 2016 NC700
    What are extenders?

Bike: 2013 Super Tenere, 2006 Husky 610
    Quote Originally Posted by YoRamrod View Post
    What are extenders?
    They are little brackets that you bolt into the mirror mount that allow you to mount your mirrors about 2" further out. They help with seeing around your arms and getting the mirrors further "out".

Your mirror might be the cause of your buffeting noise-742-927_a-jpg
    ”Fill your life with adventures, not things. Have stories to tell, not stuff to show.”

Bike: nC700X
    I tried the experiment, removed the mirrors and went for a ride. I noticed little or no effect, so In my case it doesn't seem to be a factor. I also removed the handguards, and that didn't seem to help either.

Bike: 2013 Red Honda NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by fatherfork View Post
    I'm 5'8.5" with about a 2" lift on an aftermarket seat. I cut 4 or 5 inches off the stock windscreen.

Attachment 19463 Attachment 19464
    What would be the best way to go about cutting it down? Dremmel or something similar? A jigsaw with the right blade would work, too, I would think. With warmer weather already here in Arkansas, I want to get clean air all summer long. I plan on purchasing a Madstad for the winter time, but until then I want to shorten the screen to just cover the instrument panel. Maybe even shorter than this picture. I have mirror extenders on the way, as well.
    Last edited by superdedooperman; 13th April 2018 at 11:19.

Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by superdedooperman View Post
    What would be the best way to go about cutting it down? Dremmel or something similar? A jigsaw with the right blade would work, too, I would think. With warmer weather already here in Arkansas, I want to get clean air all summer long. I plan on purchasing a Madstad for the winter time, but until then I want to shorten the screen to just cover the instrument panel. Maybe even shorter than this picture. I have mirror extenders on the way, as well.
    I wonder if you couldn’t just drill four new holes and lower the screen? Not sure how it is on your year bike.

Super Moderator Your mirror might be the cause of your buffeting noise 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by superdedooperman View Post
    One idea: You mentioned switching back and forth between the Madstad and a shortened shield. If you can buy the original style Madstad used from someone, the original mount is a curved black metal shield that would protect the instrument panel. For summer you just remove the Madstad screen and adjustable mounts, leaving the little metal shield as your summer windscreen.

Your mirror might be the cause of your buffeting noise-81c09195-e697-4cfa-824c-c26f3aa95ef5-jpeg
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    I wonder if you couldn’t just drill four new holes and lower the screen? Not sure how it is on your year bike.
    I may take it off and see how much lower I'd be able to go. That might just work!

Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    One idea: You mentioned switching back and forth between the Madstad and a shortened shield. If you can buy the original style Madstad used from someone, the original mount is a curved black metal shield that would protect the instrument panel. For summer you just remove the Madstad screen and adjustable mounts, leaving the little metal shield as your summer windscreen.

Your mirror might be the cause of your buffeting noise-81c09195-e697-4cfa-824c-c26f3aa95ef5-jpeg

Didn't know that about the Madstad! That'd be wonderful. Will definitely check on that.