Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Frunk Cable made simple

Senior Member Emergency Frunk Cable made simple itlives's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700X, 2012 Super Tenere

Emergency Frunk Cable made simple

This will be a short thread that many people in here can use- hopefully. The problem of locking keys in the frink or the frunk lock not working has come up more than once. I said when I get the time, I would make an emergency cable with pics. This job is too easy NOT to do it.
    The first pic shows the culprit. You can see where the problem area is. THe end of the cable doesn't sit properly in "hole". The tab of metal that is in the bent slot is the perfect place for a cable.

Emergency Frunk Cable made simple-dscn0642-medium-jpg

The cable I used is off an old VW. I believe it was a hood latch cable -not that that means anything to you. The point is, find a similar cable in the junk yard. They are very stiff but bends easily on the long run. A simple twist the needle nose pliers is all you need. Put a little extra grease in there if it makes you feel better.

Emergency Frunk Cable made simple-dscn0644-medium-jpg

Just run the cable the same direction as the "real" cable and split off and run it wherever you want. Once you are into the job, you'll see lots of places to direct it. Just make sure when you pull it it is pulling in same direction as the factory cable and not binding.
    Sorry if the pictures are confusing to you. I promise, once you get in there, it will all be clear . As I said, it's too simple Not to do.

Emergency Frunk Cable made simple-dscn0645-medium-jpg

Now, a bonus- I learned on the Burgman site that you can clean your air filter a couple of times if you do it gently. This will save some bucks.
    I soaked mine overnight in a solution of Purple Power (Mean Green works too) and water. Swish it around a few times periodically. The next morning, I take it out to the water hose and wash it off real good. Make sure you blow the water through from the clean side (opposite the way the air travels) so you don't force dirt into the filter.

Emergency Frunk Cable made simple-dscn0640-medium-jpg

After rinsing it REAL good, I put it out to dry if it's hot out. This time, I just put it in front of a fan. After it dries, re-install and ride. Another thing to do is go ahead and buy a replacement filter and alternate the two. That way, you pull one out and put the other one in and you are not having to wait for the dirty one to dry before you are riding!

Emergency Frunk Cable made simple-dscn0641-medium-jpg

Hope these help!

Fixed Idea Emergency Frunk Cable made simple
    Emergency Frunk Cable made simple
    Bike: CBR125R NC700XA
    Dude, you rock! Awesome deal on the emergency cable mod! I will implement that on my next maintenance or farkle install opportunity!

BTW, I seem to recall in some hazy recess of my memory, mention long ago about Honda having to fix or replace or redesign something to do with a faulty cable latch mechanism on NCX's. It was just a brief little blurb that didn't seem to attract too much interest or follow up posts?
    Chillin' with Cybersix and Data 7 in Meridiana

Quote Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
    Dude, you rock! Awesome deal on the emergency cable mod! I will implement that on my next maintenance or farkle install opportunity!

BTW, I seem to recall in some hazy recess of my memory, mention long ago about Honda having to fix or replace or redesign something to do with a faulty cable latch mechanism on NCX's. It was just a brief little blurb that didn't seem to attract too much interest or follow up posts?
    That first picture would be damaging proof in a court that something need to be done!

Bike: NC750X DCT
    Neat emergency frunk release! Noticed in your first pic that the cable end had started to twist loose from its locating holes - looks like you made the proverbial "stitch in time that saves nine"!

Quote Originally Posted by scrumpymike View Post
    Neat emergency frunk release! Noticed in your first pic that the cable end had started to twist loose from its locating holes - looks like you made the proverbial "stitch in time that saves nine"!
    I'm thinking that that is the main problem when others say that it "broke". Everything else looked good.

Senior Member Emergency Frunk Cable made simple
    Bike: 2014 NC700 dct
    wow you did it!!! nice!

Bike: NC750X DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by itlives View Post
    I'm thinking that that is the main problem when others say that it "broke". Everything else looked good.
    Yep, that's how it looked to me - I'm guessing you just need to squeeze the two sides of the lever closer together to stop the cable end wriggling out. When you've gone that far it's worth the few extra minutes to add a second cable release.

Bike: Silver 2013 NC700X
    Well done sir!

Thanks guys.
    One other thing worth noting. It takes more "pull" when using the key. It seems going through the cable is binding it.
    When I pull on the emergency cable the lock opens very easy.

Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500
    Quote Originally Posted by itlives View Post
    This will be a short thread that many people in here can use- hopefully. The problem of locking keys in the frink or the frunk lock not working has come up more than once. I said when I get the time, I would make an emergency cable with pics. This job is too easy NOT to do it.
    The first pic shows the culprit. You can see where the problem area is. THe end of the cable doesn't sit properly in "hole". The tab of metal that is in the bent slot is the perfect place for a cable.

Emergency Frunk Cable made simple-dscn0642-medium-jpg

Hope these help!
    Was this area of the bike worked on prior to you getting the bike.........this is the bike that was a total loss.....right????
    Maybe when it was repaired ??

This cable system is identical to system used in the car inner and outer door handles........the usual problem with the cars is the cable outer sheave slips out of the holder at the "green piece" location in the picture. Result is the same but cause is different than the cable turned in the link. I am not convinced the cable end twist is the real problem or concern.

The second release "cable" is a good "insurance policy"

The cable outer sheave slipping is fixed by zip tie securing the cable sheave to the bracket.
    The common point When the car cables fail is when one or more parts of the door are frozen and the cable is pulled with excessive force. Even to the point of bending the metal support brackets.