Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Aprilia Tuono Rear Shock (Sachs)

Bike: NC700X

Aprilia Tuono Rear Shock (Sachs)

Hey guys, I thought it'd be useful to start a thread for this mod, some people already made it, some are planning, and I thought I'll share my findings, too, and I didn't want to post it into the CBR shock thread. Useful info can be found there, that's why I linked it.
    So, I've just made the test trip of about 50 miles, and I must say I'm sold. The shock I bought on eBay has only 2000 kms in it, it is like new. The procedure is quite easy, took about 40 mins to do it, based on the experiences of Ruggybuggy, I set the preload before mounting, it's near to the maximum, but there is still some room left to play. My experience is that the purchase I made (about 80$ including shipping) is worth every penny. Rear is now smooth and firm at the same time, damping is good, the bikes sticks to the road. Front forks have Ricor Intiminators in them, they show some weakness now with the rear sorted out, but still definetely better than without. Sag is a bit more than before, I did'nt measure it, but saw the low beam showing a bit higher on roadside objects. I weigh about 190 lbs with gear, mostly travel light and without passenger. Damping is set 12 clicks out from the hardest.

Bottom line: good, relatively cheap, and most important: works for me nicely, and feels good.
    Last edited by spark82; 14th July 2014 at 11:00. Reason: Adding link to other thread

Bike: NC700X
    The best rear shock I ever had was on a replacement shock off a Yamaha XS1100 and put it on an XS750. It made the best riding rear end I have ever had. Smooth out the bumps real good.

Bike: DL1000,GS500,GS850 hack
    I just bought this Aprilla shock today with less. 2,000 miles on it and it looks new and the best part is that it was on Craigslist less than 5 miles from my house. !!.Picked it up for. $60...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NC700XAR
    GS850G..BLACK SUNSHINE..The tripod
    GS500..THE PURPLE EXPLORER
    Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook

Senior Member Aprilia Tuono Rear Shock (Sachs)
    Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Just an update to anyone doing this:

I am 180lbs, maybe 185 depending how much beer I drink on a given weekend. I run a Top Box 24/7, though it's not heavily packed or anything.

The stock spring was no where near correct as far as setting sag. I ended up using 3 different springs (thankfully my race sponsor suspension shop was willing to repeatedly send me new springs until I found the correct one). Here's what I found:

Stock Sachs Spring Info
    Length: 150mm
    Diameter (interior): 57mm
    Rate: .97kg

What ended up working for me
    Ohlins
    Length: 170mm this is important!
    Diameter: 57mm
    Rate: 115 (115 as its listed on the spring)

Here's why: The standard 150-160mm length spring from Ohlins is simply not long enough to work with our linkages. No matter how stiff you go (105 is stiffest a 160mm spring will go from Ohlins btw), it is simply too short and the travel of the linkage soaks up too much of the shock to begin with. What does that mean? That means you end up using a ton of preload before you even start working the spring. What you end up with is a bike that has too much sag, even though you have free sag (indicating the spring is not too stiff), but you have no more preload adjustment. You can solve this by doing two things: 1) Get a preload spacer or 2) a longer spring. I chose the latter.

So, for you 180lb riders, since I've done the leg work of running a .97kg Ohlins, a 100 a 105 and a 110 (all in 160mm), and finally a 115 in 170mm length -- I highly recommend you skip that process and call your local race shop, tell them you need a 170mm length Ohlins spring for your Tuono shock in a "115" rate. You won't be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
    Just an update to anyone doing this:

I am 180lbs, maybe 185 depending how much beer I drink on a given weekend. I run a Top Box 24/7, though it's not heavily packed or anything.

The stock spring was no where near correct as far as setting sag. I ended up using 3 different springs (thankfully my race sponsor suspension shop was willing to repeatedly send me new springs until I found the correct one). Here's what I found:

Stock Sachs Spring Info
    Length: 150mm
    Diameter (interior): 57mm
    Rate: .97kg

What ended up working for me
    Ohlins
    Length: 170mm this is important!
    Diameter: 57mm
    Rate: 115 (115 as its listed on the spring)

Here's why: The standard 150-160mm length spring from Ohlins is simply not long enough to work with our linkages. No matter how stiff you go (105 is stiffest a 160mm spring will go from Ohlins btw), it is simply too short and the travel of the linkage soaks up too much of the shock to begin with. What does that mean? That means you end up using a ton of preload before you even start working the spring. What you end up with is a bike that has too much sag, even though you have free sag (indicating the spring is not too stiff), but you have no more preload adjustment. You can solve this by doing two things: 1) Get a preload spacer or 2) a longer spring. I chose the latter.

So, for you 180lb riders, since I've done the leg work of running a .97kg Ohlins, a 100 a 105 and a 110 (all in 160mm), and finally a 115 in 170mm length -- I highly recommend you skip that process and call your local race shop, tell them you need a 170mm length Ohlins spring for your Tuono shock in a "115" rate. You won't be disappointed.
    This is AWSOME info as I'm getting ready to order a spring .I was going to go with a Race Tech spring but I don't think they offer different lengths .What Was a ball park figure for the Ohlins spring $$$$ ??,I just had Cannon Racecraft make fork springs for my DS bike so maybe I will have them make a rear for the Sachs shock if the Ohlins is to much $$$.

I don't ride fast ,I ride far...
    NC700XAR

Quote Originally Posted by Nortwestrider View Post
    This is AWSOME info as I'm getting ready to order a spring .I was going to go with a Race Tech spring but I don't think they offer different lengths .What Was a ball park figure for the Ohlins spring $$$$ ??,I just had Cannon Racecraft make fork springs for my DS bike so maybe I will have them make a rear for the Sachs shock if the Ohlins is to much $$$.

If you call Barry Wressel at KFG (253.397.4474) he can get you an Ohlins spring. Tell him you want the Spring that he just ordered for "JP" It will be around $100 I think -- cheaper than the $140 I see online everywhere. Confirm with him that its the 170mm length, 115nm stiffness spring for the Aprilia Tuono. I just spoke with him yesterday about it, so he'll be aware.

The other bonus? He's from your neck of the woods, WA.
    Last edited by Antarius; 4th September 2014 at 08:53.

They only issue is that I weigh 265#,so we will have to calculate the spring rate.

NC700XAR

Quote Originally Posted by Nortwestrider View Post
    They only issue is that I weigh 265#,so we will have to calculate the spring rate.

Ah, yes. So, ask Barry what the standard weight is for a 265# rider, if a 180-185lb rider is using a 115nm spring for this particular application.

You may end up with a 180mm spring and a 120nm rate.

That's what I was thinking !!.

NC700XAR

Senior Member Aprilia Tuono Rear Shock (Sachs) Ruggybuggy's Avatar
    Bike: Honda NC750XA Yamaha FZ1
    So I called KFG this morning and asked for Barry but he was busy but a nice lady help me out. I told her I wanted the same spring that was sent out in the "JP" order. Took a while to find it and confirmed the 170 length, 57 ID and 115 and was quoted $91 for the spring. I ordered it up and she said about 2 week until I would recieve it. It's going to be nice to get the better shock on.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain