Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Aprilia Tuono Rear Shock (Sachs)

Bike: Ducati Monster, NC700X
    I am thinking about doing the same mod this winter. Is there a particular model of shock to get or are they pretty much created equal (equally mediocre but far better than NC700X stock shock)? Reservoir vs. non-reservoir (apparently they all fit with sufficient clearance)? Later versions vs older versions?

After reading thru all 22 pages and taking notes, I concluded that pre-2008 non-reservoir versions all fit, with some reservoir versions confirmed. I weigh 140lbs so maybe 150 all dressed with a top box for laptop, lunch, etc for commuting. Perhaps I should go for Ohlins springs in the neighborhood of 170mm length and 110Nm in rate? Or maybe a longer spring and lighter spring rate (more preload but more cushy ride)?
    Naked_Duc (Tony)

Bike: 2012 Honda NC700X
    I just did mine Friday night. Mine is from a 2016. I tried getting with a recommended local suspension shop but couldn't get them to return a call or email. Racetech lists their springs online and they have a 178mm x 114nm so that's what I ordered (I'm 165 pounds w/o gear) hoping it was close enough.

The resevoir does press on the plastic under the fender. Enough that a bolt on the left side plastic won't go in. I doubt it'll cause any issues but it's worth mentioning.

As far as which shock is best? I wouldn't know, this is my first time doing anything to the suspension beyond swapping fork springs...

Sent from my ASUS_Z01HD using Tapatalk

Bike: 72 Shovelhead and a 2012 NC700X DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by jspivy View Post
    I just did mine Friday night. Mine is from a 2016. I tried getting with a recommended local suspension shop but couldn't get them to return a call or email. Racetech lists their springs online and they have a 178mm x 114nm so that's what I ordered (I'm 165 pounds w/o gear) hoping it was close enough.

The resevoir does press on the plastic under the fender. Enough that a bolt on the left side plastic won't go in. I doubt it'll cause any issues but it's worth mentioning.

As far as which shock is best? I wouldn't know, this is my first time doing anything to the suspension beyond swapping fork springs...
    I am about 190lbs and carried way too much stuff on my recent Utah trip. I went with the same length you did and 140 n/mm. You may be a little soft. If it squats during acceleration, you ARE too soft, other than that it is all about what feels good to you and your riding style.

The reservoir pushing on the plastic doesn't move in relation to the plastic execept for a very little bit of angle change as the shock compresses and extends. I saw no issues with mine after a lot of vigorous off road.

Bike: 2012 Honda NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoChris View Post
    I am about 190lbs and carried way too much stuff on my recent Utah trip. I went with the same length you did and 140 n/mm. You may be a little soft. If it squats during acceleration, you ARE too soft, other than that it is all about what feels good to you and your riding style.

The reservoir pushing on the plastic doesn't move in relation to the plastic execept for a very little bit of angle change as the shock compresses and extends. I saw no issues with mine after a lot of vigorous off road.
    114nm is the stiffest Racetech offered and I couldn't get the suspension shop to return calls or emails. So I bought what I could. I do load it up occasionally but only for pavement. "Off road" is limited to dirt & gravel fire roads but even that's been a while. Sag measured about 1/4" too little so I have room to add some weight.

As far as squatting, I haven't noticed that in the 60 miles I've ridden it. The only negative is it was bouncy on a couple hard, high speed bump so I need to adjust the rebound.

Bike: inspiring
    Quote Originally Posted by Naked_Duc View Post
    Is there a particular model of shock to get or are they pretty much created equal (equally mediocre but far better than NC700X stock shock)? Reservoir vs. non-reservoir (apparently they all fit with sufficient clearance)?
    Yes, there is a hierarchy of shock designs.
    Watch the videos: Excellent Suspension Discussion

Good luck!

Bike: Ducati Monster, NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by Krampus View Post
    Yes, there is a hierarchy of shock designs.
    Watch the videos: Excellent Suspension Discussion

Good luck!
    Thanks Krampus. Appreciate the link to the videos. I assume that all RSV and Tuono shocks are all pretty similar from year to year. I will look for a newer RSV reservoir shock, which should have just enough clearance to fit.
    Last edited by Naked_Duc; 15th October 2018 at 16:43.
    Naked_Duc (Tony)

Bike: 2014 NC700x
    Hello, After reading this thread a couple times I have a question. If our bike is rated for X about of weight (Rider and Gear) will getting a shock tuned for our weight make a difference?
    Would a shock built to support a 250lb rider make any difference to the bikes overall weight capacity, or is it just for performance. My stock shock is leaking so I'm trying to figure out if I need a $600 Ohlins or something else. All I know is I would love something better than the stock shock, just do not know how much better. I do not do any offroad. Mostly looking at interstate and surface road usage.

I guess the sprig is whats used for the custom weight? Been riding a long time and never had to mess with suspension. Seems like some sort of black magic.

Bike: 2013 XD
    Welll....
    The three of us now have the Race Tech rear shock replacement with appropriate spring weight and the fork kits (gold valve emulators and springs).
    Unfortunately we only have the return trip from the shop and a couple of errand miles on them. Two of us have had medical issues/injuries and the other has been working 6-7 12hr shifts a week.
    Soon, very soon we keep saying.

Now we need to know what the suggested thing is to do with the old stuff?

Bike: honda nc700x
    Just change your rear shock oil, it can be done easy and you will not lose nitrogen presser. I use 7.5 wt oil