Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Aprilia Tuono Rear Shock (Sachs)

Super Moderator Aprilia Tuono Rear Shock (Sachs) 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Jut8 View Post
    So guys, reading through all of this, i got a bunch of good info, thank you for paving the way! Now that we have some real world experience with this things, could I pick your brains a bit? I am 192lbs. I just ordered the gold valves for the bike, and I have an OEM 07 Tuono shock sitting downstairs ready to bolt on to my 2012 NC when the gold valves arrive. My initial thought was to do one thing at a time and install the gold valves with the OEM springs, and install the Tuono shock as is.

But now since we have all the snow here, I am thinking while its a part maybe i should take care of springs too? Looking at the Racetech site it's saying i should be running .88ish springs, so I guess I would bump up to the .90's, correct? Or should I drop down to the .85's?

For the rear is where I am really confused for the shock spring.....ohlins, race tech? What weight/rate to go with, there is not much info out there. I saw one fellow on here was able to get a RaceTech SRSP 5815 series spring on there, while others are using ohlins for the sizing. If the stock is close to 14kg, what should I go with? I see Krampus did the 11.xx kg spring? I just want to get it as close as i can the first time if possible. thanks!
    On my NC, I just dropped to the 0.80 springs because I weigh 170 lbs, which is less than the guy that had the bike before. So, I have a pair of 0.85kg Racetech springs, like new in the box, complete with the uncut spacer stock to sell. PM me if interested. I'll post these for sale tonight if I get the time.

Even the 0.80s seem a little stiff, so personally I'd recommend against the 0.90, but it depends how stiff you want them.
    Last edited by 670cc; 21st March 2018 at 15:16.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX

Bike: 12 nc700x
    Cool, thanks, pm just sent

Senior Member Aprilia Tuono Rear Shock (Sachs) dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    You should measure sag under your riding weight to get more info related to spring selection.
    Dave

ST1300
    NC700XD

Ok guys, so I drove down to Pisgah National forest for a long weekend of mountain bike riding. After calling Ohlins, I find out they are headquartered right outside of where we are riding/staying and Jerry invites me to bring the Tuono shock in, take a look at it, go over the shock, and set me up with a spring....I also got a nice tour and got to see some sweet stuff while i was in there! While i do not remember near the amount of numbers and things they went over while I was there, the basics are I weigh 192lbs, and I walked out with 1092-49/130 spring mounted to my shock ready to go. He did say this rate was a step or two below what I would get if I purchased an Ohlins shock from them according to my weight, but it is the best fit for the shock that I will be running, with my weight on the bike.....those guys seemed to know what they were doing, so I am going to believe him, haha, he may have sold me on a setup for my fz09 while I was in there too.

They were nice enough to mount it all up, use their fancy spring compressor, and give me the full tour......it gets mounted up tomorrow, and ride report as soon as the snow leaves the roads around here.

Aprilia Tuono Rear Shock (Sachs)-img_0303-jpg

Bike: ManyhaveIhad
    Quote Originally Posted by Jut8 View Post
    Ok guys, so I drove down to Pisgah National forest for a long weekend of mountain bike riding. After calling Ohlins, I find out they are headquartered right outside of where we are riding/staying and Jerry invites me to bring the Tuono shock in, take a look at it, go over the shock, and set me up with a spring....I also got a nice tour and got to see some sweet stuff while i was in there! While i do not remember near the amount of numbers and things they went over while I was there, the basics are I weigh 192lbs, and I walked out with 1092-49/130 spring mounted to my shock ready to go. He did say this rate was a step or two below what I would get if I purchased an Ohlins shock from them according to my weight, but it is the best fit for the shock that I will be running, with my weight on the bike.....those guys seemed to know what they were doing, so I am going to believe him, haha, he may have sold me on a setup for my fz09 while I was in there too.

They were nice enough to mount it all up, use their fancy spring compressor, and give me the full tour......it gets mounted up tomorrow, and ride report as soon as the snow leaves the roads around here.
    Very nice!!! That spring is not even listed on the table I have for Ohlins; awesome for you. I think it will work well for you. You will need some washers to use as spacers on the shock mounting locations; I needed two different thicknesses to take the lateral movement out of it; pretty sure I used stainless fender washers; maybe 1/8 and 1/16 inch in thickness (thereabout).

Shock installed today, everything went well, even taking the bodywork off was not a big deal. Had to run to work for a bit, but hope to have sag setup tomorrow, along with a test ride. Getting the shock in with the washers was a bit tough, i tried grease on the washers, and i wasent smooth enough to get them in without having them fall off, haha. So i just used a bit of closed cell foam i had laying around, wedged it in there, put the shock in place and pushed the foam out with the incoming bolt, worked like a charm.

Aprilia Tuono Rear Shock (Sachs)-img_0346-jpg

Aprilia Tuono Rear Shock (Sachs)-img_0347-jpg