Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GIVI/Kappa engine guards fit poorly

Super Moderator GIVI/Kappa engine guards fit poorly 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50

GIVI/Kappa engine guards fit poorly

I received a brand new set of Kappa KN1111 engine guards on 12/31/13. I attempted to install them but the fit is poor. Specifically, the right side is parallel with the vertical axis of the bike and radiator, but the left side leans outward several degrees. The only way to position the left side vertical is to twist it a bit and leave almost a half inch gap at the bottom mount. I would need to add a large spacer and a longer bolt if I were to fix this issue myself, but I have sent pictures to the seller in hopes they will rectify the situation with a return or replacement.

Has anyone else that has GIVI or Kappa guards had any install/fit issues?

GIVI/Kappa engine guards fit poorly-100_6577-jpgGIVI/Kappa engine guards fit poorly-100_6576-jpgGIVI/Kappa engine guards fit poorly-100_6579-jpgGIVI/Kappa engine guards fit poorly-100_6581-jpgGIVI/Kappa engine guards fit poorly-100_6582-jpgGIVI/Kappa engine guards fit poorly-100_6574-jpg
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Fixed Idea GIVI/Kappa engine guards fit poorly
    Bike: CBR125R NC700XA

Well isn't that a bummer!

These are just re-labeled Givi TN1111's right? (I've never quite followed why/what the reason was, for this)

Mine were very even and well fitting (the Givi's)

I guess, like the SW Motech problems, a welding jig must have shifted or something during a production run...
    Chillin' with Cybersix and Data 7 in Meridiana

Yes, GIVI and Kappa guards are the same article. TN1111 vs KN1111.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member

Senior Member GIVI/Kappa engine guards fit poorly
    Bike: 2012 NC700X Manual non ABS (07/27/12)
    That stinks! No problems with my Givi's.

Senior Member GIVI/Kappa engine guards fit poorly
    Bike: 2011 Victory XR / 2012 NC700X DCT (#79)
    Mine fit fine, so maybe it got bent in shipping or packaging?
    2012 NC700X DCT ABS - Mods: Cee Bailey's 20" Windshield, Honda Center Stand, Givi Engine Guards, Lighter Socket in Frunk, Givi E55 Tech Trunk, Givi Trekker Outback Saddlebags, Shad Comfort Seat, CycleGear Hand Guards, Add-On Footpegs.

Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    I received a brand new set of Kappa KN1111 engine guards on 12/31/13. I attempted to install them but the fit is poor. Specifically, the right side is parallel with the vertical axis of the bike and radiator, but the left side leans outward several degrees. The only way to position the left side vertical is to twist it a bit and leave almost a half inch gap at the bottom mount. I would need to add a large spacer and a longer bolt if I were to fix this issue myself, but I have sent pictures to the seller in hopes they will rectify the situation with a return or replacement.

Has anyone else that has GIVI or Kappa guards had any install/fit issues?
    My Givi engine guards are straight even after my crashes. Give Givi a call and see what the distributor has to say!

GIVI/Kappa engine guards fit poorly-givi-jpg

GIVI/Kappa engine guards fit poorly-smileyhorny-jpg
    Last edited by Old Can Ride; 9th March 2014 at 22:26.
    Why not seize the pleasure at once? -- How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, and foolish planning? Just do it. Shut the frunk up and Ride !!!!!!!!!!

Senior Member GIVI/Kappa engine guards fit poorly duk2n's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X ABS
    Mine were very easy to fit
    -JL-

Maņo a mucha honra

Senior Member GIVI/Kappa engine guards fit poorly silverhound's Avatar
    Bike: '13 NC700X DCT, '14 FJR 1300ES
    It appears that your one guard may be a little tweaked but one thing I have learned over the years of installing MC accessories is that you should get all the nuts/bolts/screws started first. Leave everything loose until you're sure all connectors are threaded properly (avoid cross-threading) and then tighten everything down. 9 out of 10 times this will pull everything together into its proper spot.

My wife's Givi guards also went on with no problem.
    2013 Honda NC700X DCT - Hers
    2014 Yamaha FJR1300ES - Mine

Commuter Extraordinaire GIVI/Kappa engine guards fit poorly
    Bike: NC700X
    Sounds like everyone else has not had any issues but I'm not surprised a set could be out of tolerance. I work at a Caterpillar facility that gets parts from suppliers by the hundreds. Every once in a while we have a fit up issue on a part we have used for years. We inspect all stock and contact the supplier immediately if we find multiples. More often than not you'll find there are others. Something in the fixture has shifted or moved. Plus there is the human error side of things.

Hopefully they offer a replacement set and examine the set you have with issues.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhound View Post
    It appears that your one guard may be a little tweaked but one thing I have learned over the years of installing MC accessories is that you should get all the nuts/bolts/screws started first. Leave everything loose until you're sure all connectors are threaded properly (avoid cross-threading) and then tighten everything down. 9 out of 10 times this will pull everything together into its proper spot.

My wife's Givi guards also went on with no problem.
    This is pretty much the answer I got from GIVI. Install it correctly and you shouldn't have a problem.

The upper and lower guard mounts are fixed to the frame at the same points where the engine is attached. You can loosen and adjust it all you want, and tighten in any order you want, but once it's all snug, it going to be right back where it is - in my case with the left guard tilted several degrees outward at the top, whereas the right guard is straight up and down.

That the GIVI rep would even suggest that means he/she doesn't understand how the product mounts to the bike. I found their reply very annoying and unhelpful. They have not followed up after that reply, while the problem remains unresolved. I also called the GIVI number that OCR listed. The rep was unhelpful and said I needed to take it up with Tour and Ride, the sole US distributor for Kappa products. Well we've come full circle runaround now since Tour and Ride was the first place I contacted about the problem.
    Last edited by 670cc; 4th January 2014 at 11:03.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member