Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ricor Intiminators installed

Fixed Idea Ricor Intiminators installed
    Ricor Intiminators installed
    Bike: CBR125R NC700XA
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwellian View Post
    I used the transalp ones. I didn't cut the spacers. Might add more spacer, maybe stiffer springs at some point. Still a bit more than 25% sag. I'm 180lbs without gear.

I used maxima 5w as well. Had some around for mountain bike forks.
    You must prefer a firmer or sportier ride I guess? I usually ballpark about 30% for myself. I don't do any real twisty pavement or too high speed off road to speak of, with the NCX.
    Chillin' with Cybersix and Data 7 in Meridiana

Senior Member Ricor Intiminators installed
    Bike: .
    LBS,

You were concerned about whether or not you should have gone with the V-Strom Intiminator's or the Transalp ones... I have good news for you after doing a few hours of searching!

You chose correctly!

Reason? The bushing that makes the Ricor fit inside the fork tube snuggly, which is necessary to make the valves work properly, is dependent on the size of the INNER diameter of the fork tube. The best way to figure out how big that is? Look at the fork seal measurements!

Well guess what? The Transalp AND the NC700x actually have the same exact measurements for a fork seal (41x54x11) and thus, the Ricor fit as you said -- snuggly and correctly. You likely would not have been so lucky with the V-Strom's collar.

The only other part is the arrangement of the shim-stack which will adjust how quickly or slowly oil flows through them (I.E., softer or harder ride), but you can buy new shims from Ricor and adjust them as you wish on your own, so you're good there!

Anyhow, since I have been unable to source a replacement front end with a cartridge fork, or an aftermarket cartridge fork, I am going to give these Intiminators a shot as well. I will be buying proper weight linear springs (hate progressive spring rates) to go in at the same time, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
    LBS,

You were concerned about whether or not you should have gone with the V-Strom Intiminator's or the Transalp ones... I have good news for you after doing a few hours of searching!

You chose correctly!

Reason? The bushing that makes the Ricor fit inside the fork tube snuggly, which is necessary to make the valves work properly, is dependent on the size of the INNER diameter of the fork tube. The best way to figure out how big that is? Look at the fork seal measurements!

Well guess what? The Transalp AND the NC700x actually have the same exact measurements for a fork seal (41x54x11) and thus, the Ricor fit as you said -- snuggly and correctly. You likely would not have been so lucky with the V-Strom's collar.

The only other part is the arrangement of the shim-stack which will adjust how quickly or slowly oil flows through them (I.E., softer or harder ride), but you can buy new shims from Ricor and adjust them as you wish on your own, so you're good there!

Anyhow, since I have been unable to source a replacement front end with a cartridge fork, or an aftermarket cartridge fork, I am going to give these Intiminators a shot as well. I will be buying proper weight linear springs (hate progressive spring rates) to go in at the same time, though!
    Very much obliged for your great perspective and sleuthing on the matter!

I did (eventually) know about the inner diametre being the one to focus my attention on, and think of the seals being a possible (probable) source in which to determine the inner diametre of the fork tubes for cross referencing, but then dithered about that as the be-all end-all for 100% confirmation, having read somewhere that the casting thicknesses in only certain areas between two different models of bikes, even with the same apparent forks, could vary without any listed changes in part numbers or seal sizes! This spooked me a fair bit.

My choice was more based on a dart thrown at a page of Ricor Valve bike availabilities than I'd like to admit, but I did spend a lot of precious brain cells and lost hours of sleep glued to computers and out in the www. trying to make an informed decision, heehee

Quote Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
    Very much obliged for your great perspective and sleuthing on the matter!

I did (eventually) know about the inner diametre being the one to focus my attention on, and think of the seals being a possible (probable) source in which to determine the inner diametre of the fork tubes for cross referencing, but then dithered about that as the be-all end-all for 100% confirmation, having read somewhere that the casting thicknesses in only certain areas between two different models of bikes, even with the same apparent forks, could vary without any listed changes in part numbers or seal sizes! This spooked me a fair bit.

My choice was more based on a dart thrown at a page of Ricor Valve bike availabilities than I'd like to admit, but I did spend a lot of precious brain cells and lost hours of sleep glued to computers and out in the www. trying to make an informed decision, heehee
    Well, you guessed right! My post was really to reassure you that you made the right choice! And your pioneering made me purchase a set today!!

Quote Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
    Well, you guessed right! My post was really to reassure you that you made the right choice! And your pioneering made me purchase a set today!!
    It does make me feel better

I sure hope you have the same great experience I had with mine! It was incredible how much of an instant difference it made. Anything you care to mention or point out to do with your install, please feel more than welcome to show and tell!

Will do! I plan on measuring my sag prior to taking it all apart and then deciding whether or not I add preload.

Senior Member Ricor Intiminators installed duk2n's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X ABS
    Do you guys have a link of where you bought these Intimators? I would like to have a look
    -JL-

Maņo a mucha honra

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by duk2n View Post
    Do you guys have a link of where you bought these Intimators? I would like to have a look
    41 MM INTIMINATOR FITS ALL TRANSALP WITH 41MM FORKS

I bought mine straight from Ricor.

trey

Quote Originally Posted by duk2n View Post
    I got mine through these guys: Ricor Intiminators 41mm for All Honda XV600V Transalp | eBay

They were awesome to deal with, and asked questions on my behalf with the Ricor dudes, to help answer me.

Direct from Ricor and direct from Racetech for new springs.