Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 60

Thread: Ricor Intiminators installed

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Bike: 2012 NC700X Manual Clutch
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    306
    I went with Gold Valves and heavier fixed rate springs for my VFR because I wanted to feel exactly what the front end was doing.
    There is a huge difference from stock.

    I *may* get Intiminators for my NCX. I think Gold Valves offer a little more feel according to a couple reviews I read but for commuting or touring I don't necessarily want to feel every little thing and they are easier to install.

    I worry a bit about one Intiminator review where the rider ended up replacing Intiminators with Gold Valves.
    Something about the front end feeling weird but it's been a long time since I read the review.
    There are also a lot of fake positive Intiminator reviews posted on forums by the company which really annoys me. (hmmmm... first post on a forum is a product review and only a couple posts since in the same thread)

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Bike: 2012 NC700X Manual Clutch
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
    ...
    The Ricor jobbie has a lightly sprung "inertia valve" which pops up and uncovers a large central orifice if a large bump is hit, which allows the damping fluid to get through in a larger volume much faster, which makes it good for damping big hits, still using lighter weight fluid.

    I'm hazy on what the Emulator does in this regard, but I think it does pretty much the same thing, but with an owner variable adjustment using different rates of springs, instead of an "auto" inertia activated one? Someone who actually knows what they are talking about will hopefully chime in at some point, lol.
    My understanding was that there are two bypass holes with different damping rates and the inertia weight blocks off one under normal compression due to varying pavement and when the forks are compressed fast enough the weight blocks off the standard hole and uncovers a different one with a higher damping rate to absorb the bigger bump.
    But the description they give is a bit vague and it may only have one bypass hole that is blocked off on big bumps.

    You need a higher damping rate to keep bigger bumps from bottoming the suspension, not a lower rate.

  3. #13
    Fixed Idea Ricor Intiminators installed
    Ricor Intiminators installed
    L.B.S.'s Avatar
    Bike: CBR125R NC700XA
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Posts
    5,266
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesD View Post
    I went with Gold Valves and heavier fixed rate springs for my VFR because I wanted to feel exactly what the front end was doing.
    There is a huge difference from stock.

    I *may* get Intiminators for my NCX. I think Gold Valves offer a little more feel according to a couple reviews I read but for commuting or touring I don't necessarily want to feel every little thing and they are easier to install.

    I worry a bit about one Intiminator review where the rider ended up replacing Intiminators with Gold Valves.
    Something about the front end feeling weird but it's been a long time since I read the review.
    There are also a lot of fake positive Intiminator reviews posted on forums by the company which really annoys me. (hmmmm... first post on a forum is a product review and only a couple posts since in the same thread)

    I went with these primarily because they sounded easier/cheaper than the Emulators, and I'm lazy. That's the bottom line truth from me. That I can actually notice any difference, and it's much for the better, well, I'm tickled.

    Dunno about "weird feeling". They haven't introduced anything out of the ordinary in an oddball way, that I can determine yet.

    I look at any product or service review, positive or negative, with a huge grain of salt. Sometimes I just take an instant dislike to whomever is doing the review, and that's enough for me, haha. *shrug*

    If they sound too good to be true, or too against the product for seemingly obscure/dumb reasons, going too far one way or the other, then my red flags go up, and I start narrowing my eyes with a lot of frowny suspicion...
    Chillin' with Cybersix and Data 7 in Meridiana

  4. #14
    Fixed Idea Ricor Intiminators installed
    Ricor Intiminators installed
    L.B.S.'s Avatar
    Bike: CBR125R NC700XA
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Posts
    5,266
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesD View Post
    My understanding was that there are two bypass holes with different damping rates and the inertia weight blocks off one under normal compression due to varying pavement and when the forks are compressed fast enough the weight blocks off the standard hole and uncovers a different one with a higher damping rate to absorb the bigger bump.
    But the description they give is a bit vague and it may only have one bypass hole that is blocked off on big bumps.

    You need a higher damping rate to keep bigger bumps from bottoming the suspension, not a lower rate.
    However the thing is supposed to work; and whether or not it's inferior/same/superior to any other like-gadget, IMHO, it does an awesome job over small bumps that had my arms being constantly jarred previously, and going over big bumps/holes that would have had me wincing (and on more than one occasion as I have reported long ago, knocked my hands clean off the grips!) I was wide eyed with: "but...but...that was nothing!"

    So. There you have it. LBS hyperbole approved! Believe the review at your own peril, lol
    Chillin' with Cybersix and Data 7 in Meridiana

  5. #15
    Senior Member Ricor Intiminators installed maxwellian's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 NC700x
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    311
    Thanks for pioneering this, LBS. I've ordered some, and will chime in with another review.

  6. #16
    Senior Member Ricor Intiminators installed Big Thump's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 Honda NC700X
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    473
    Keep us updated on any new observations over time. Thanks for your honest review of the installation and performance.
    "The Road Goes On Forever"
    IBA #23562

  7. #17
    Senior Member Cagedodger's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    471
    Hrmmm... My Concours has 41mm forks... and a set or Intiminators in it... and I don't ride it these days... I wonder how different the setup is between the Transalp and Concours on the Intiminators. I've been contemplating scavenging those since day one, hehe.

    On my Concours, they made a night and day difference. Huge improvement! I'm glad to hear they worked out for you!

  8. #18
    Senior Member Ricor Intiminators installed maxwellian's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 NC700x
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    311
    Got mine installed. I did them without pulling the forks. Sucked the factory oil out with a brake bleeder jar and a long hose. Got at least 95% of it out, and it's still pretty fresh, so I figured <5.2W would be good enough.

    Definitely firmer, less brake dive. Bumps are muted a good bit.

    I tried riding over a double set of railroad tracks with a good dip between, going back and forth several times. Once last night with the stock setup, and once tonight. Same tire pressure, same tire temps, same fork temp. I ran an accelerometer logger on my phone in a RAM mount. Results were inconclusive, but subjectively it's much better. Definitely less harsh.

    Can't wait to swap the rear shock.

  9. #19
    Fixed Idea Ricor Intiminators installed
    Ricor Intiminators installed
    L.B.S.'s Avatar
    Bike: CBR125R NC700XA
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Posts
    5,266
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwellian View Post
    Got mine installed. I did them without pulling the forks. Sucked the factory oil out with a brake bleeder jar and a long hose. Got at least 95% of it out, and it's still pretty fresh, so I figured <5.2W would be good enough.

    Definitely firmer, less brake dive. Bumps are muted a good bit.

    I tried riding over a double set of railroad tracks with a good dip between, going back and forth several times. Once last night with the stock setup, and once tonight. Same tire pressure, same tire temps, same fork temp. I ran an accelerometer logger on my phone in a RAM mount. Results were inconclusive, but subjectively it's much better. Definitely less harsh.

    Can't wait to swap the rear shock.
    Cool!

    Did you choose the Transalp ones as well? And which type and weight of fork oil did you go with?

    I think I got as much oil out as I could without letting them sit upside down overnight or doing a solvent flush. I ended up putting in right about what the calculations came to, plus a bit, to reach the exact height of fluid specified.

    Also, did you cut the thickness of the valve off of the preload spacer tube? I didn't, but will. I have ordered some preload adjustable fork caps to get a bit more fine tune in there. As it is now, my bike sits about 1/2" higher than it did pre Ricor valves. I wouldn't mind seeing what a little bit more static sag does for even an more plush feel, and then load 'er up with gear to see what I might use for a higher preload setting.
    Chillin' with Cybersix and Data 7 in Meridiana

  10. #20
    Senior Member Ricor Intiminators installed maxwellian's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 NC700x
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    311
    I used the transalp ones. I didn't cut the spacers. Might add more spacer, maybe stiffer springs at some point. Still a bit more than 25% sag. I'm 180lbs without gear.

    I used maxima 5w as well. Had some around for mountain bike forks.

Similar Threads

  1. Rox risers installed
    By FlaNC700X in forum NC700 Mods
    Replies: 180
    Last Post: 29th April 2019, 08:53
  2. Light Bar Installed
    By Bamo in forum NC700 Mods
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 18th April 2014, 02:15
  3. Denali DM1's installed.
    By JDE in forum NC700 Mods
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 26th July 2013, 10:42
  4. skid plate installed
    By dersan in forum NC700 Mods
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 4th February 2013, 09:35
  5. Installed Fuzeblock FZ-1
    By saru2011 in forum NC700 Mods
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 15th December 2012, 23:11

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •