Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    - although it's as easy to close one of their keys in the frunk as it is one of ours.
    Loosing or misplacing a key at any time (500 miles from home) or any reason is a problem (locked in the frunk)...............solution.........hide a key on the bike or other places:

Black duct tape one to the inside fairing panels, inside a turn signal lens, inside a length rubber hose, liner of your riding jacket or helmet, flat key in your wallet, possibilities are endless.

Senior Member Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment
    Bike: 2011 Victory XR / 2012 NC700X DCT (#79)
    Look at StarParts Orignals for some great knobs for thus purpose.

Bike: NC700X
    Star Parts are great, I had a US Military one on my Yamaha Venture.

Fixed Idea Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment
    Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment
    Bike: CBR125R NC700XA
    A huge thanks to dduelin for starting this thread, and being the pioneer inspiration!

So still feeling a little under the weather, (and the weather is awesome these past few days! ) I decided today would be "key" day.

Have been wanting to do this for ages, but always put it off. Dug out my spare Ilco key (it was the same as one of the taller ones shown earlier in this thread) I had bought months back, and poked around on my parts shelf for an old Home Depot threaded star knob I remembered having.

Heated the metal threaded bit with a heat gun, and pulled it out of the plastic knob. The threaded bit actually turned out to be a bolt, not a section of threaded rod like I had thought.

Cut down the spare key, put a few notches/grooves in it for grip, drilled a wee hole through the shoulder of the plastic knob and through the key. Heated up the key stub, and pushed/mooshed the hot metal into the plastic. Inserted a piece of broken drill bit through the knob and key to act as a secondary anchor, mixed up some quick set epoxy putty, and glorped a healthy amount in all holes and crevices.

Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment-dscf0703-jpg

Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment-dscf0707-jpg

Next on the list, was my saddlebags annoyance. I hate having to dig out a key every time I want to open/close the lids on my Trax panniers. I had heard that getting spare SW Motech keys for the locksets was difficult for some reason, and people usually had to buy spare ($$$) from 'Motech or go to a good locksmith.

hooie: to that, says I. lol

Found that Yale Y11 key blanks work perfectly, and I bought a pair of them for like $4.99 at the local shopping mall key store. I did discover that the "nose" of the Yale key is a little more rounded than the Trax key, and made it a bit sucky to initially put in the locks, though. So I just angled the nose profile of each key to a slightly sharper point with a couple quick swipes of the file, and they go in perfectly now.

Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment-dscf0702-jpg

I have an absurdly lazy yet cunning plan for the keys and the Trax boxes, so I can leave the keys in the locks, but not fear losing them, or carrying them on a key ring, or leaving them in the panniers when I leave the bike unattended. Heh heh heh. Stay tuned for this, I am waiting for my Ebay purchase to arrive before I can complete this.
    Chillin' with Cybersix and Data 7 in Meridiana

Senior Member Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    I like that knob much better than mine.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: nc700x
    Back in the day an older bmw I had used a folding key, will see if I can locate it and take a photo. I allowed the plastic top part to fold 180 degree so it laid flat once inserted, probably used on the /6 models back in the day.

Senior Member Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by newride View Post
    Back in the day an older bmw I had used a folding key, will see if I can locate it and take a photo. I allowed the plastic top part to fold 180 degree so it laid flat once inserted, probably used on the /6 models back in the day.
    My /7 R100 had the same type of key.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    In the US they don't have the same insurance pressure that we have in Europe so I think their bikes don't have HISS to start with - although it's as easy to close one of their keys in the frunk as it is one of ours.
    Will go read my Honda USA manual on that point
    Purchased the bike for the engine and did not even check to see if it had this type of security that came with it.

Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    ... I made a key with a knob for this and the key can stay in the lock when I am riding or the bike is out in my garage. This key is not long enough to start the bike.
    Great idea dduelin, thank you. Had wanted to do this so will today. Of course my aprilia mana has the lid installed correctly seems Honda put it on backwards for safety reasons then again bars have to be straight on my aprilia to full open the lid and not so with the Honda.

Bike: 2012 NC700X DCT
    I have a dedicated trunk key too. But left it just as a stock key. On trips it turns into my spare key. I keep it in a different location, or hand it to my travel buddy as a just incase scenario.

It is so useful, I can not imagine not having a trunk key all the time now. I'm in and out of the frunk so much I'd be shutting the engine down all the time. So in essence it is prolonging engine life too!