Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment

Bike: NC700X
    Great Idea on the key, actually the x265 HD 109 is the ignition blank and will start the bike, left key in pic x246 right x265. The X246. HD105 is shorter ,no cutting, and it being short it seems ok to leave in while riding without a cap. I like your cap idea, have a black one already eyeballed for mine. Ride safe.
    Attached Images Attached Images Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment-key-009-jpg 
    Last edited by Porko; 2nd September 2012 at 11:40.

Senior Member Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Porko View Post
    Great Idea on the key, actually the x265 HD 109 is the ignition blank and will start the bike, left key in pic x246 right x265. The X246. HD105 is shorter ,no cutting, and it being short it seems ok to leave in while riding without a cap. I like your cap idea, have a black one already eyeballed for mine. Ride safe.
    No, the x265 blank is only grooved 28 mm long, the Honda ignition key is grooved 38 mm so the x265 does not go all the way into the ignition switch and won't start the bike. The other key is a good option - unless you want to place a knob on it then it is too short.

I went through this with bag keys for my ST1300 Pan.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: Ninja 650, Victory Cross Country
    Great idea. Here's mine:

Not sure what that cap is from, just found it in the garage. Used a two part putty epoxy to set the key (I notched the key to to give the epoxy some holds).

I went with the Goldwing audio knob. I had two HD109 blanks cut at Ace Hardware and made up a black and a chrome key knob. You have to cut off the head of the key and file down the sides a little to fit it into the knob, then glue it in place with epoxy or JB Weld. You can order the black knobs from your friendly Honda dealership (part number 39113-MCA-671). The chrome ones are made by Show Chrome (part number 52-709). The Honda ones have a metal clip installed which must be removed before you can insert the key.
    Personally, I like the look of the chrome better than the black. I think it goes well with the chrome handlebar bolts. The black knobs work better though. The black knobs have a grippy surface while the chrome is pretty slippery. On my bike, it takes a fair amount of force to turn the key, and the slick chrome makes it a bit of a challenge. Either way, if you take your time making it and get the key length where the knob just clears the not-a-tank surface, IMHO it comes out looking really nice.

Hope this helps,
    Bob

Thought I'd post some pictures of what the key knob looks like if you use the GoldWing audio knob, part number 39113-MCA-671.
    Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment-img_0034-jpg

I also made one with a chrome version of the knob made by Showchrome, and I used a smaller knob from the hardware store to use on my Givi luggage. FWIW it turned out the chrome knob was a bad idea. The chrome makes it really hard to grip. The Givi key knob is really handy though.
    Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment-img_0046-jpg

Bob

Fixed Idea Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment
    Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment
    Bike: CBR125R NC700XA
    That's awesome, Bob!

Bike: NC700XD
    Quote Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
    That's awesome, Bob!
    Couldn't have said that better.

Fine work, Bob!

Bike: now: V-Strom650; sold :NC700s DCT
    Nice solution! But as I know, the NC has an immobiliser system, you can see on the dash ( H.I.S.S.). So a single blank key won't start the engine!
    I have to do sg similar, I always afraid enclosing the keys into the frunk.

Mike,
    I think Key knobs should still work on the frunk of bikes equipped with H.I.S.S. I think the ignition lock is the only one equipped to read the chipped key. A non HISS blank should operate the frunk lock.

Bob

Senior Member Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment Chris's Avatar
    Bike: VFR1200X (Crosstourer)
    Bob is right.

The transducer in the key fob is read by the ignition lock which recognizes the code in the transducer and allows the ignition to fire. The lock on the frunk is just a normal mechanical lock. If you're worried about locking your bike keys in there then it's not a bad idea just to get a cheap copy of your ignition key cut at a locksmith (without the bulky fob) and keep it with you all the time.

In the US they don't have the same insurance pressure that we have in Europe so I think their bikes don't have HISS to start with - although it's as easy to close one of their keys in the frunk as it is one of ours.