Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment

Senior Member Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment sumo's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC750X DCT ABS
    A blank, only available from Honda, is $42 and a lock smith told me $25 to cut it. So for $67 CAD it can be done. It's not worth it to me.

Bike: 2016 NC750X DCT was 700X dct
    It does work for the 2016 bike but you need a smaller cap. You can see why from the second photo that shows the lock inset into the mouldings.
    Mike
    Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment-27303686721_17915caba7_z-jpgCreating a dedicated key for the storage compartment-27303686571_1382966177_z-jpg

Bike: 2015 NC700X
    @Phx

What key blank did you use to make this? I already bought some knobs from Radio Shack, but will wind up tossing them in favor of this design. It looks brilliant!
    Last edited by MedicMutt; 31st May 2016 at 09:11. Reason: Had to direct the msg at a specific user. Correcting punctuation.

Senior Member Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment
    Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Now my NC is a 2012 in the USA without HISS. That being said, I took my key to a legitimate locksmith who didn't have the HD105 in stock, but he did have the HD109. He cut the 109 short and I used that. The problem was that it could be forced into the ignition and could be wiggled until it turned on. When the HD105 came in, I had him cut the first five grooves on the key and leave off the last two or three closest to the part you hold. This one will not turn the ignition ever because it doesn't have the final few grooves. I wouldn't have tried to have the high school kid at the big home and garden store try this, but a dedicated locksmith I'd trust.

As for the 2016, does it look like this? If so, I have no idea.

Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment-key-jpg

Bike: 2016 NC750X DCT was 700X dct
    Yes it does look like that. I have the top part which I hacksawed off - I was going to bin it but there is a reference number on it which I will get and post on here in the morning - too cold and wet to go to the garage tonight (and it's June tomorrow - what's going on?)
    Mike

Bike: 2013 NC700XD
    Just had a couple of keys made. Hacked one off as per above, quick-epoxied it into a spray-paint-can lid. Works a treat. Great idea and so handy. So far haven't forgotten the key when I'm away from the bike.
    Thanks for the idea and the different approaches to making it work.
    Last edited by Rainier; 3rd June 2016 at 07:45.

Senior Member Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment GunNut37086's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Honda NC700X
    Great idea! I finished mine yesterday, but of course I had to do with MY own sense of style...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

"I shall pass this way but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." - Etienne de Grellet (Quaker Missionary)

Senior Member Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment GunNut37086's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Honda NC700X
    I had a locksmith cut me 2 copies using the short HD105 blanks and nether worked. Is there a secret?

The long key worked with the way I used it, but I wanted a short one to try the lower profile knob everyone else is using.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

"I shall pass this way but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." - Etienne de Grellet (Quaker Missionary)

Bike: 2012 NC700
    Use a long key, just take a hacksaw to it to make it shorter to fit a low profile knob

Senior Member Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment sumo's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC750X DCT ABS
    As previously acknowledged the 2016 model has a new key. The key cutting kiosk's at Walmart, Home Depot and Canadian Tire can't help you. The dealer where I bought the bike can't help me, other than to say that they can order in a blank for me, $42.00, but I was on my own to find a locksmith that could cut it. The local Honda CAR dealership say they can't help me. I showed him that my motorcycle key was exactly like my 2007 Honda Civic key. I can cut the Civic key but I can't do the motorcycle key.

I found a locksmith in town who says he can cut it but he can't get the blank, so if I get him the blank he'll cut it for $25.

The bike dealer wanting $42 for a blank was irking me so yesterday I went back to the car dealer, it happened to be customer appreciation day and I got a free hamburger lunch, anyway on to the parts desk I asked for a key blank for a 2007 Civic, a questioning look from the guy and I explained, he said sure $10 but no guaranty it will work.

Tomorrow I'll go see the locksmith.

There are no electronics/security (transponder) in the motorcycle key.

Here are some pics cause it's always better with pics...

Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment-2-jpg
    Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment-1-jpg
    Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment-3-jpg
    Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment-4-jpg
    Last edited by sumo; 5th June 2016 at 12:58.