Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment

Bike: 2014 NC700X, 2018 GL 1800 Tour DCT
    You cut it down to only fit the frunk lock, still haven't found the knob I want so haven't done mine yet.

edit: here is a GL1800 project doing the same type of mod

Making GL1800 Key Knobs
    Last edited by Grey1one; 25th October 2015 at 20:54.

Bike: Gl1800
    that is what I did to my goldwing. I am going to go by the honda dealership and get another goldwing radio knob. i cut the top off the key, then epoxy the radio knob to the key. I do take a dremel tool and notch the inside of the knob.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Senior Member Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    I really hate to ask this, but after reading this and the related threads several times i have to ask ... is the HD109 blank short enough to NOT be able to start the bike, or is it only after you trim it for the knob that it cannot start the bike? Seems some people are using the HD109 blank as an ignition spare key as well. I'm confused.
    The HD109 blank starts out the same length as the factory OEM key and can fully function as an ignition key. When you cut a portion off the top end of the key and install a knob the key becomes too short to fully insert into the ignition switch so it cannot easily start the bike. Conceivably a thief could take one of our frunk keys and after removing the knob have enough key left to grip with a pair of pliers and start the bike. If this is a risk not willing to take then just remove it and drop it in the frunk when parking the bike.
    Last edited by dduelin; 26th October 2015 at 06:20.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Senior Member Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment GregC's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    The HD109 blank starts out the same length as the factory OEM key and can fully function as an ignition key. When you cut a portion off the top end of the key and install a knob the key becomes too short to fully insert into the ignition switch so it cannot easily start the bike. Conceivably a thief could take one of our frunk keys and after removing the knob have enough key left to grip with a pair of pliers and start the bike. If this is a risk not willing to take then just remove it and drop it in the frunk when parking the bike.
    Thanks very much - that's very clear.

Bike: NC700X
    First mod I made to the bike...my frunk knob. Found a package of assorted A/C knobs at Auto Zone, $7. Already had he two part epoxy, I think it was $5 at Ace Hardware. Spare key, $3.

Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment-img_5473-jpg

Member Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment Johninaz's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD
    PHX-AZ-700X , I really like the looks of the AC knob you used thanks for the idea.
    The older I get, the better I was!

Bike: NC700X
    Thanks! It worked out amazingly well. If I didn't just spend 20 minutes making it, I would have thought it came with the bike.

Fixed Idea Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment
    Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment
    Bike: CBR125R NC700XA
    Niiice!
    Chillin' with Cybersix and Data 7 in Meridiana

Bike: NC700X DCT
    About to try making myself a frunk key.

Picture of the HD109 ignition key, with the HD105 frunk only key and the GL1800 audio nob, we'll see how it goes.

Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment-keys-jpg
    Last edited by pixitha; 18th May 2016 at 23:01. Reason: typo

Senior Member Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment
    Creating a dedicated key for the storage compartment

Bike: 2016 NC700X DCT ABS
    Don't know if this trick will work for the new models. My 2016 key is different, has a ridge through the center of it with no cuts. On either side of this ridge, there is two sets of peaks and valleys.
    I'd take a picture, but don't want my key pattern on the net.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk