Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Soft Luggage/Tailbag with homemade support bracket

Bike: NC700X

Soft Luggage/Tailbag with homemade support bracket

I wanted to share my homemade support bracket that I made of 1/2" CPVC to support the MotoCentric soft luggage saddle bags & tail bags that I purchased. I opted for this strategy for multiple reasons. It cost less than $10 for the parts, plus the PVC cleaner/glue and the paint. This was my prototype model and unless I see any major problems, there may not be a version #2. I have driven with the bags loaded for well over 100 miles and have not noticed any problems with shifting of either the bags or the brace. This brace is installed or removed in about 4 seconds and can be easily carried with the luggage. Without this brace, the saddle bags would obviously tuck-in toward the wheels. This brace/bracket aligns the saddle bags with the tail of the bike, so they will taper inward toward the rear of the bike.

Gas fillup was extremely easy and could be done without removing the tail bag from the saddle bag hookup points. Disconnect the two front and the two rear saddle bag tiedowns and lift the entire set of three bags, positioning them forward onto the riders seat. After the fillup, return them to the rear and rehook the 4 straps. If you travel with another person who can assist- one person on each side of the bike makes this an extremely easy 10 second task. Note in one of the pictures that the rear saddlebag connections attach to the tail CPVC pipe on the opposite side and go under the tail extension to the opposite saddle bag. With both of these hooked in the opposite direction they lock and hold the support bracket into position on the tail and keep it from shifting.

If this concept can be enhanced please share your ideas. One major flaw I had seen is that I was not able to perfectly align the "saddled PVC section" perfectly to the bikes pipes. I needed more than 90 degrees of angle and would have loved to use two 60 degree "street L" connectors...but they apparently do not make them. Note that there is two foam pieces on the inner portion of the "saddle clamp" which help hold it tight to the bike, when installing. It is not intended to be left on the bike without the bags.

Soft Luggage/Tailbag with homemade support bracket-img_20130508_073716-jpgSoft Luggage/Tailbag with homemade support bracket-img_20130508_074321-jpgSoft Luggage/Tailbag with homemade support bracket-img_20130508_075036-jpgSoft Luggage/Tailbag with homemade support bracket-img_20130508_074344-jpgSoft Luggage/Tailbag with homemade support bracket-img_20130508_075428-jpgSoft Luggage/Tailbag with homemade support bracket-img_20130508_075411-jpgSoft Luggage/Tailbag with homemade support bracket-img_20130508_075501-jpg

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Very nice! So the bracket is only held to the NC by the tension of the straps?

yes, the tension on the front and rear straps help lock it in place. I needed to have a way to install it so that it was properly positoned on the bike prior to putting the saddle bags on. The back section of the bracket sets on the tail extension, and the forward portion of the brace is held onto the bikes pipes with the two saddled PVC sections. The two strips of foam inside the top/bottom of the saddled PVC section help hold it firmly. Once the straps are attached it seems to be very secure.

Bike: 2012 Honda NC700X
    What a cool idea............. You want to make one more...... ;-]
    2012 NC700X 37000 and counting
    best MPG

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
    24000 and counting
    MPG? forget about it.....?

2018 Yamaha Super Tenere ES....

Senior Member Soft Luggage/Tailbag with homemade support bracket dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Very ingenious, trim, and epitome of KISS.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: 2012nc 700x
    Now that is what i was looking for.didn't want to spend the money for brackets but found the soft bags i want.good job.

#1 Elite Soft Luggage/Tailbag with homemade support bracket
    Soft Luggage/Tailbag with homemade support bracket
    Bike: NC-less
    Great ingenuity!!! One possible suggestion might be to fill the interior of the pipe with expanded foam (Great Stuff, or equivalent) to give it a little extra internal strength and resistance to deflection. You could inject it at each saddle.
    Motorcycle don't lie!

Super Moderator Soft Luggage/Tailbag with homemade support bracket 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Great idea, and good looking, too. If Honda sold that it would be $180, plus the foam pieces would be a separate part number you'd need to order.

Greg
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Thanks for the feedback. We will see how it works over time.

Lee- the saddles at each end are merely screwed on (intentionally did not glue them). I will remove both and try to spray the foam into the CPVC, from each end. Hopefully I cna get it past the glued 90 degree fitting. Thanks for the suggestion.

Incidentally, if anyone wants the parts list and the pipe lengths I used, let me know. I jotted them down somewhere, in case I had to make or modify another unit.

Ed

Senior Member Soft Luggage/Tailbag with homemade support bracket Cyclerosis's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700X, 2014 Concours14
    Very clever Ed! Thanks for the idea!