Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: That's Right......Ammo Cans!

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by Bug Dr. View Post
    I use SW-Motech side and top rack. I bolted the cans directly to the rack. I used a #2 black rubber stopper as a bumper. I cut the stoppers in half and drilled a hole through them for the bolt to pass through. The stoppers were between the rack and cans.

I have since shrugged the ammo cans and have gone to Pelican. Those were just too heavy at 30 lbs each empty!

There are lighter ammo can options than the ones I used. They're cheap and strong......just heavy.
    Mike
    I'm looking side racks just like that if anyone has a set sitting in their garage collecting dust.
    "It takes a gentleman to suffer ignorance and smile."

Bike: 2014 nc700x
    Hey there, I think we have the same racks (swmojotech?). I'm wondering if you can share the mounting hardware you bought and maybe a pic of the inside of cans for how you did that? Thank you!

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Heh Heh, nice job!! When i rode for a mileage test with my 46L top box and both factory/Givi side boxes i recorded a 6-mpg loss. Not too bad i felt. On another note, Keltec makes a nice little folding carbine. It's a Sub-2k, it comes in a couple of different cals and it conveniently folds in half for easy carry/storage. :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by Bug Dr. View Post
    I installed my ammo can panniers today. These are CNU 405s and equate to just over 40 liters in size.

Advantages:
    1) Cheap - $104 delivered and about $65 in paint and mounting hardware
    2) Top loading
    3) Boxy design makes them easy to pack
    4) Solid construction

Disadvantages:
    1) Heavy steel construction
    2) You must remove the lid completely to access stored items
    3) If you want to lock them it will require four pad locks. (I installed U-bolts for that task)

I realize these are not for everyone and they may not be a permanent solution for myself either. However, given the price of aluminum panniers, I might make these work a couple of seasons.
    Mike
    I like them. GREAT JOB. I have ammo cases, mostly full of ammo, but none that are sized large enough to be practical for use as panniers.

As you point out, most side cases are crazy expensive. I don't understand why they cost as much as they do, they are just boxes.

I have Hepco & Becker's plastic GOBI cases, which to my eye, look like Coleman Ice Chests, on my bike largely because I got a 1/2 price deal on the side racks and almost a 1/2 price deal on the side cases. Price was a big factor. I like how durable the plastic cases are, pretty sure these will bounce off of a tree and survive undamaged.

I looked at TUSK but was not thrilled with their locking system, which I don't think is very secure. I'm more than willing to admit everything can be broken into but the TUSK cases, which are the economy brand of aluminum boxes, have an extremely easy to break clasping system and that turned me away from buying the TUSK boxes. I like the idea of Pelican Cases but couldn't find an economical solution to an internal lock and am not thrilled with padlocks, just a personal choice.

If I could have gotten a deal on them I'd probably have GIVI Dolomiti cases. But honestly I think the Hepco & Becker GOBI cases are probably better quality cases than the GIVI Dolomiti cases.

Bike: '14 Honda NC700XD, '71 Honda SL350
    I used Military mermite food cans on my old Nighthawk.

Dance as if no one is watching.

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Dale, those are so cool!! :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Bike: '14 Honda NC700XD, '71 Honda SL350
    thanks...cost me about $50 plus paint. Saw some similar ones years ago on the ADV forum. Also modified Givi racks for a Vstrom to mount to.
    Dance as if no one is watching.