Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for LED driving lights?

Bike: 2012 NC700X, 2002 Vstar1100

Looking for LED driving lights?

If your like me and can't see ponying up $260+ dollars for the Denali led driving lights, check this link.
    10W Heavy Duty Flood LED Work Light Lamp Off Road Car Jeep /Truck/ATV SUV Driving Lamp 10-30V 12V/24V 800Lm 6500K Waterproof : Amazon.com : Automotive

The LED store has what looks like the same lights for $32 each, you just have to wire a switch in or run them off your high beam circuit.

What can I say, I like a deal!

Bike: NC700XD
    That looks like a winner to me. Great find!

Thanks, was beginning to wonder if I pissed off the powers that be on the forum. Sixty plus people viewed this great money saving find and nobody said anything?? Glad you spoke up.

Senior Member Looking for LED driving lights? GsVs's Avatar
    Bike: DR650SE NC700X
    The light output per watt is going up and the price is coming down for LED's ..

Over in the vendors thread on ADVrider there are a handfull of different vendors selling quality lights at decent prices .... lots of options !

Bike: NC700X
    Hmm I am looking for spot light.. this one seems like a fog light which has wider beam?
    I am seriously considering Denali D2 and wonder if there is anything equivalent. Anyone?

Bike: NC700XD
    Quote Originally Posted by DanWill View Post
    Thanks, was beginning to wonder if I pissed off the powers that be on the forum. Sixty plus people viewed this great money saving find and nobody said anything?? Glad you spoke up.
    Nah, I wouldn't worry about that. You've got to keep in mind that MC forums are seasonal beasts. It's cold right now, so there's relative few who are constantly checking the forum. I'm still new and actively commuting, so I'm still in the initial customization stage and keep pretty regular tabs. I wanted to say something earlier in the day when I saw it during my lunch break, but I make a point of not logging in at work (less for security and more for distraction avoidance).

I just wish they had some sort of description or diagram of their mounts. Those have shot up to my list of aux lights that I plan on mounting on my Givi Bars. Again, thanks for posting!

Bike: 2011 Honda NT700V
    Quote Originally Posted by lamlamz View Post
    Hmm I am looking for spot light.. this one seems like a fog light which has wider beam?
    I am seriously considering Denali D2 and wonder if there is anything equivalent. Anyone?
    I went with the Model 30 from ADVMonster. Model 30 LED off road Spot light

It has a bright spot beam with a much less bright halo effect around the sides. If you look at the "Detailed Description" tab on that web page, you'll see some pictures that will do a better job of explaining what I mean.

It is a spot beam, but I still need to be careful where I use it. The main beam stays tightly focused in my lane. It's great for riding on the freeway at night. In the daytime, it'll work great as a conspicuity light. But like tonight as I came back from the jail, I was in a left turn lane at a light with a car directly across from me. I should've turned them off, but forgot. If you're off to the side, the lights aren't that bad at all. But if you're directly in front, as my pastor said once, it is like looking into the sun.

If you use the discount "inmate" at checkout, you'll get 10% off. At $54 each, that's not a bad price to try something out and see if it works for you. I suspect it will and you'll not move on to anything else. I've had mine on for over two years now with no failures.

Chris

Bike: NC700X
    o
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    I went with the Model 30 from ADVMonster. Model 30 LED off road Spot light

It has a bright spot beam with a much less bright halo effect around the sides. If you look at the "Detailed Description" tab on that web page, you'll see some pictures that will do a better job of explaining what I mean.

It is a spot beam, but I still need to be careful where I use it. The main beam stays tightly focused in my lane. It's great for riding on the freeway at night. In the daytime, it'll work great as a conspicuity light. But like tonight as I came back from the jail, I was in a left turn lane at a light with a car directly across from me. I should've turned them off, but forgot. If you're off to the side, the lights aren't that bad at all. But if you're directly in front, as my pastor said once, it is like looking into the sun.

If you use the discount "inmate" at checkout, you'll get 10% off. At $54 each, that's not a bad price to try something out and see if it works for you. I suspect it will and you'll not move on to anything else. I've had mine on for over two years now with no failures.

Chris
    Thanks Chris. That's great find. Great price too! Are you suggesting to point them slightly to the side?
    Last edited by lamlamz; 6th February 2013 at 05:42.

Bike: 2011 Honda NT700V
    I would try to aim them directly in front of you and within your lane. They'll light up the low-beam area and add a little more just past that. The halo or light spray that you'll get, isn't much but will add some light to the area surrounding the road. It's not enough to be blinding, but enough to help.

The trick is to get them aimed far enough ahead to add to the light pattern, yet not so high as to blind other drivers.

Chris
    Last edited by Daboo; 6th February 2013 at 09:06.

I've always found that if I point the left driving light at the exact same spot on the wall where the main headlight is pointing(cover each in turn to see them) then I don't blind drivers coming at me. Haven't used these new LED's before, but I imagine it will work with them also.

If the driving lights are below the main light like on our bikes, then point the beam the same distance below the main beam.
    Last edited by DanWill; 6th February 2013 at 09:56.