Thread: Converting rear signal lights to running/signal combination

Bike: Nc700X

Converting rear signal lights to running/signal combination

Has anyone done this? I would like to keep my amber signal lights but have them run like the front signal lights.

Suggestions and ideas welcome.

Thanks for reading.

Willie.......

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    In theory it should not be hard. Get hi/lo bulbs. Sockets to accommodate 3 wires. Refit the housings with the new sockets and bulbs.

For the actual wiring, reconnect 1 wire to ground reconnect one to turn. The 3rd wire for running will need to be run to the running light circuit and you should be able to tap into your license plate lightís wire or the tail lightís wire.

I installed extra running and turn signals but I didnít rewire any existing lights. itís pretty simple once you find the wiring schematic on the internet to decode the wire colors.

Senior Member Converting rear signal lights to running/signal combination ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Has anyone done this? I would like to keep my amber signal lights but have them run like the front signal lights.
    I "think" running rear ambers is illegal in all states, that is why you never see them on a vehicle. Rear running lamps must be red. Front running lamps are allowed to be amber.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has issued interpretations which indicate that the use of amber tail lamps impairs the effectiveness of the required lighting equipment and as such is prohibited by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (developed and issued by the NationalHighway Traffic Safety Administration) (FMVSS) No. 108 (S5.1.3). Since National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) does not allow vehicle manufacturers to install amber tail lamps, the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) has concluded that the use of amber tail lamps on vehicles placed in operation after March 7, 1989, is prohibited by ß393.11.

Rob in New England
    IBA# 540