Thread: Tail light mod

Bike: 2013 NC700X

Tail light mod

Ok so my tail light bracket has been broken for a long time and I worry it's going to just fall off one day

The bracket is broken where I put the yellow mark, my salutation was to do a tidy tail type fix

But while I was at it a was thinking of having a buddy of mine that works with sheet metal make a storage box that mounts under the rear fender.

Even with the suspension fully compressed there's still a bit of space, I think there's enough room to fit storage compartment where I could fit a compact air compressor and plug set Tail light mod

Any reason this isn't a good idea?
    Last edited by rippin209; 22nd October 2019 at 12:59.

Side profile of my NC's rear fender

I was thinking something like this, then mounting my brake light and turn signals to that box
    Last edited by rippin209; 22nd October 2019 at 20:46.

Bike: 700x
    I say we're only limited by our ability, imagination, time and money. If you build it, they might come.

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by kalifornia View Post
    I say we're only limited by our ability, imagination, time and money. If you build it, they might come.
    Agreed.

See what can be done, try it, test it out, tweak it as necessary, report back to us. If it works it might even be marketable.

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    I like the idea Ripp, go for it! :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Bike: NC700X
    The only thing I noticed is if the turn signals are much closer I think they interfere with side bags (or maybe just my saddle bags). That's the only thing that's stopped me. I don't really like the mini turn signals either because I don't think they offer enough visibility.

Bike: Kawasaki 750 H2, zephyr 750...both 1990
    Hi Rippin209
    My first impression…..why not.
    Do you have ‘package size’ you require to fit compressor and plugs etc, and looking to store this only, or maybe
    going wider for more storage!
    If you have saddlebags permanent on the bike you could go outboard to the bags giving more
    storage and maybe mounting turn signals on the back.
    Cosmetically tying into the bikes rear body work may be tricky if that concerns you, also blending in to
    The rear fender under the bike.
    Will follow along and interested how your ideas develop
    All the best Steve
    Look to the past, but do not stare ........

Quote Originally Posted by steve59 View Post
    Hi Rippin209
    My first impression…..why not.
    Do you have ‘package size’ you require to fit compressor and plugs etc, and looking to store this only, or maybe
    going wider for more storage!
    If you have saddlebags permanent on the bike you could go outboard to the bags giving more
    storage and maybe mounting turn signals on the back.
    Cosmetically tying into the bikes rear body work may be tricky if that concerns you, also blending in to
    The rear fender under the bike.
    Will follow along and interested how your ideas develop
    All the best Steve
    At a minimum yes, I have a slime compact air compressor already dimensions are
    6.5 x 4.2 x 2 inches
    So not very big, that plus plugs, reaming tool and install, and a rag so it's not just rattling against metal.

I'm not to concerned about the look and do plan on spray painting it silver or black just so it's not shiny metal, I rarely wash my motorcycle so I'm sure it'll be covered in a layer of dirt, grime and chain oil anyway.

I don't want to make it larger then necessary, then I'll just have the stuff inside bouncing around, I already carry more then enough tools in my frunk, this is more of a road emergency kit, now after writing this out I'm thinking about possibly putting medical supplies in there, just something simple like a tourniquet, gauze that type of stuff, just something to keep you from bleeding out.

Now I'm thinking of making it a bit larger but nothing is set in stone, still trying to think of stuff like that, thanks for the ideas and inspiration.

I'm trying to decide on how to mount the rear light, turn signals and plate I'm sticking with stock (or at least that's the plan as of now) and what kind of latching system to use on this box

To answer the question about my side cases, yes they are on 99%+ of the time

If this ends up coming out nice enough I'll ask my buddy if he wants to make a few more to sale