Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Put a cheap slip on my NC, got a check engine light

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    Sent you a response on ADV rider.

Code 86 is communication error to the meter.
    Past posts with this error have been traced back to low battery voltage or loose battery connections.
    Since you modified the wiring at the same time as the exhaust that’s where I would look.
    The other confirmed cause for 86 is a soft set electrical wire harness corrector ..........often after accessories install.

O2 sensor on the NC can be unplugged and it will not code. We have talked about this at length in prior posts. Several members have confirmed this.

A “soft set connector” is where the electrical corrector is place but not pushed completely to the locked position.
    Last edited by showkey; 14th October 2019 at 06:36.

Senior Member Put a cheap slip on my NC, got a check engine light davidc83's Avatar
    Bike: Suzuki C50; 2009 klx250sf; 2013 Nc700
    Southern Indiana/Central Florida-part time snow bird..
    Code 86 is a communication error to the dash.... the communication error could be a loose battery connection (even though it seems tight) or a loose display cable...(remove windshield, remove 3 screws, pull out about an inch, disconnect display cable, reconnect (all of this with the battery disconnected of course)...reconnect the display cable, reconnect display, reconnect windshield, reconnect battery terminals...see if it fixed the check engine light (did on mine this past May).
    Last edited by davidc83; 14th October 2019 at 10:55.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Thanks for the advice, I'll start looking into the connections when I can, I'm back at work now so not as much free time, but I'll definitely hold off on buying a 02 sensor.

Last night I tried just unplugging the 02 sensor just to see if it makes a difference, the engine was cold when I started it and the idle was slightly fluctuating up and down, nothing crazy but it's usually solid, I reconnected the 02 sensor and the idle stayed solid as usual. Not sure if it would have changed if I let it run long enough to get to operating temp but I just shut it down.
    Anyone willing to trying unplugging their 02 sensor and see how it behaves?

As I said earlier I'm definitely checking all the connections first but I'm still stuck on how this started as soon as I changed the exhaust, I had ridden hundreds of miles after doing the electrical without any check engine light

Glad its not o2 sensor, maybe its a simple connection issue somewhere. I hate chasing electrical gremlins. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaJD View Post
    Glad its not o2 sensor, maybe its a simple connection issue somewhere. I hate chasing electrical gremlins. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    RightPut a cheap slip on my NC, got a check engine light I don't now which one is worse buying overpriced sensors or chasing electrical problems.

I still don't know for sure it's not the 02 sensor AND something else, we'll see, has anyone actually tried running their NC with the 02 sensor disconnected?

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Showkey to the rescue!! :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    The O2 sensor on the NC is not a critical component.
    It has one error code and the engine runs normally with that error code. ( as per the service manual).
    The fuel injection on the NC is relatively simple but adequate system as compared to the modern automotive system that might have 3 to 6 O2 sensors in a 4 cylinder. BUT, As a comparison the NC FI system is light years ahead of the carburetor systems 10-20 years past.

There was another thread where we discussed missing or running rough engine , where the engine compression test, valve setting and 02 sensor function was in question. The 02 was unplugged on a normal running engine with no change. On the NC Unplugged or damaged O2 would certainly effect emissions and the catalyst would not be functioning at peak. The rider my not even be aware. On that note there would be no benefit in power, performance or MPG by defeating the O2 or catalyst on the NC. That has been discussed many times prior in several tuning posts.

The O2 on the NC has a main function of keeping the mixture at the catalyst in narrow range with an alternating slight rich and slight lean swing. That mixture swing is to allow the catalyst to store oxygen on the lean swing and burn excessive hydrocarbons on the rich swing. The 02 is “trimming” the mixture or checking mixture consistently.

O2 sensor on a more sophisticated bike or car system can and will do a lot more......like more ( trimming) mixture adjustments in real time for each cylinder ( long and short trim trim) , miss fire detection, catalyst monitors, engine performance, ..........so in those systems 02 will effect performance, MPG, failed emissions and have dozens of failure codes directly or directly associated with the 02 sensor.
    Last edited by showkey; 15th October 2019 at 08:48.

Super Moderator
    Here is another data point. It’s from the VFR1200X forum but the symptoms are similar.
    No code on the VFR if there was it was not mentioned.

Original post:

Honda). I was riding today in D mode at about 65 MPH. The bike was in 6th. All of a sudden the bike felt like there was just barely enough power for the gear...like a manual transmission...chug, chug, chug. It corrected itself. Then it did it again. I could not accelerate. It corrected itself again. I went on the back road and it did it three more times, but this time the engine died. It did seem like it was holding the gear too long after I got going again. I have not completed the DCT initialization procedure as recommended by another member, yet. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

OP posted a recent fix:
    Put a cheap slip on my NC, got a check engine light-fb92079c-c312-4c88-8e3f-b359cf7e7a10-jpg

This is consistent with posts here and ADV rider that the battery voltage and the connections can cause some strange or unusual symptoms.
    Last edited by showkey; 15th October 2019 at 15:33.

Bike: 2015 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by rippin209 View Post
    After installing the slip I did the EFI reset steps (disconnect battery, turn on key, let sit at least 30 min, I left it over night, turn key back off, reconnect battery, start bike, let idle until the engine gets to operating temperature and shut off with kill switch them key)
    Quote Originally Posted by rippin209 View Post
    ... I'm definitely checking all the connections first but I'm still stuck on how this started as soon as I changed the exhaust, I had ridden hundreds of miles after doing the electrical without any check engine light
    Just relateed to battery connection? ...or bumped something during the EFI reset steps?

Quote Originally Posted by davidc83 View Post
    Code 86 is a communication error to the dash.... the communication error could be a loose battery connection (even though it seems tight) or a loose display cable...(remove windshield, remove 3 screws, pull out about an inch, disconnect display cable, reconnect (all of this with the battery disconnected of course)...reconnect the display cable, reconnect display, reconnect windshield, reconnect battery terminals...see if it fixed the check engine light (did on mine this past May).
    This communication error is looking more and more like it. I installed a fuse block (around a year ago, 20,000 miles sense then) but I reused a 1 foot cable from a car that was being taken to the wrecking yard and thought that maybe there was a problem with the cable, so I just disconnected the whole cable and tightened both battery terminals (disconnecting negative first and reconnecting negative last) rode about a mile and a half no problem at all, ran great, 90 min later I go to ride home and half way there the engine light comes on, then my display flickers slightly, then the flickering got worse and when the display would cut out my engine would start to cut out (never shut off but ran terribly, luckily I was within a block or two of my house by then and was able to shut it off quickly.

Tonight when I get home I'll check the display plug and the fuses, hopefully it's that simple