Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cogent DDCs installed - and I can't tell a difference

Bike: 2012 NC700X

Cogent DDCs installed - and I can't tell a difference

I've been wanting to make some suspension upgrades to my NC for a while. With nearly 33k on the odometer I knew the forks were more than likely overdue for service anyway (I've owned the bike since 15k and not changed the fork oil during my ownership) and I figured this would be the ideal time to add some Cogent Dynamics DDCs since I've heard so many great things about them. I called Cogent to order and they were very thorough and helpful in taking all the information and giving installation advice.

I installed the cartridges along with new springs and fork oil the other day. Everything went together without a hitch. I only had time to take my bike for a brief test ride and my initial impression was that the ride was maybe slightly better but not much discernible difference either way. Today I rode my approximately 20 mile commute to work, a route where I know quite well every bump and turn and I have to say my impression of the Cogent mods remains the same. I really can't feel a difference in ride quality or handling from stock. I am confident I installed them correctly and measured the specified oil level. Could it be that they may need further tuning via oil level or spacer length? I have not yet contacted Cogent for advice.

I am well familiar with the kind of placebo effect that can come with mods like this, where you find yourself trying really hard to feel a positive difference from the upgrade you just spent a bunch of money on but you're not sure if you really can tell any difference at all. I'm wondering if anyone else here has experienced something similar with these or other suspension upgrades.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

States visited on a bike

Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    When I replaced the rear shock with an ohlins set for my weight (230#) that was a big difference. I change the fork springs and oil to appropriate springs, but did not do the emulators. Some difference - noticeable but not like the rear.

I’ve not done the emulators mainly because of my perception of “bang for the buck.” Opinions will differ, but I feel like it got 80% of the potential benefit (for the kind of riding I do) with just the fork springs and oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member Cogent DDCs installed - and I can't tell a difference
    Bike: 12 NC700x
    I had the same experience. Couldn't tell a lot of difference. Put it back to stock with fresh oil and careful assembly and its actually more compliant than the DDC's. I think the issue is that the stock compression damping hole in the damping rods is too small to let the emulator perform like it should.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Dodge View Post
    I think the issue is that the stock compression damping hole in the damping rods is too small to let the emulator perform like it should.
    Interesting. I know Cogent Dynamics says that no drilling or other modification of the damper rods is necessary but I wonder if some drilling would help?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

States visited on a bike

Bike: '14 Honda NC700XD, '71 Honda SL350
    The Cogent DDC's require a thinner oil so that drilling out the damper rod is not necessary. I've used their system on two motorcycles. I find the suspension firm, but I don't feel the square edge as severely
    Dance as if no one is watching.

Senior Member Cogent DDCs installed - and I can't tell a difference dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    I think they are the best suspension modification for the buck on the NC700X. They reduce the high speed compression (sharp edged bumps) but the most meaningful change is the rebound damping. I can brake hard deep into the corner, ease off the brakes, and the front end doesn't pop right up and cause the bike to bobble. On the 2012 I did spend some time on oil levels and getting the right spacer length to get the sag right with the OEM springs which made the 2015's install plug & play.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: '14 Honda NC700XD, '71 Honda SL350
    another plus....handles washboard much better. I was on some today and I was reminded to add that comment.
    Dance as if no one is watching.

Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    I think they are the best suspension modification for the buck on the NC700X. They reduce the high speed compression (sharp edged bumps) but the most meaningful change is the rebound damping. I can brake hard deep into the corner, ease off the brakes, and the front end doesn't pop right up and cause the bike to bobble. On the 2012 I did spend some time on oil levels and getting the right spacer length to get the sag right with the OEM springs which made the 2015's install plug & play.
    This does make me think of two things. One, having ridden some more since I wrote my first post, the area in which I do indeed notice the most difference is that brake dive is greatly reduced. I find that sharp bumps are just as jarring as ever, though. Two, your experience (and I studied your DDC and fork oil threads a bunch as reference, thanks!) makes me think I may need additional tuning either via spacer length or oil level (or both?). I intend to call Cogent Dynamics to discuss further. I doubt they're working tomorrow but I will do it later in the week.

States visited on a bike

Senior Member Cogent DDCs installed - and I can't tell a difference dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    If you have too much sag and a higher oil level like 130 mm the ride might benefit from reducing sag and going to 140 or 150 mm oil level. IIRC Cogent recommended starting at 130 but 150 works best for me.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Senior Member Cogent DDCs installed - and I can't tell a difference
    Cogent DDCs installed - and I can't tell a difference
    Bike: 2013 NC700x/w DCT
    Making only one change at a time to the forks is the only sane path to making them work better. :-)